PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please (Before I Destroy My Overflow Box with a Hammer)

Enigma
04-18-2012, 07:52 PM
I have this overflow box:
http://www.tomaquarium.com/uploads/maintenance/file_download/TomRP3OverflowManual.pdf

It was easy to install, and it does what I need it to do.

However, it is so incredibly noisy! It is in my bedroom, and I've yet to get a good night's sleep since I installed it on Saturday. I'm very close to losing my mind.

*insert crack about it being a "short trip" here*

I've been looking at DIY options, and I don't understand enough about them to decide if that's a route I can take. The issue is that I absolutely can NOT increase the height of the bulkhead overflow. If I do it will flood when the overflow starts back up (I have thoroughly tested this . . . four times :o).

Is there a DIY option to reduce the noise a bit that will not increase the height the water enters the bulkhead overflow?

Also, the overflow hose follows a bit of a winding path. I didn't want to cut it, as how the tank is presently set up isn't permanent and I'll need all of the hose length within a year.

bling_bling466
04-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Is it on you 10 or 12 gallon if so id just buy a new tank and get it drilled. Alot better and proble alot cheaper that that over flow

Enigma
04-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Is it on you 10 or 12 gallon if so id just buy a new tank and get it drilled. Alot better and proble alot cheaper that that over flow

It won't be the next tank that is drilled (probably a 20 that the 10 will grow into) it will be the one after that (a custom rimless 50: after we move, when both tanks are combined).

As I already have the overflow I'd really like to be able to use it. I don't really want to invest in another tank and move everything into it right now.

RDNanoGuy
04-18-2012, 09:34 PM
What noise is it making? Is it a slurping/flushing sound or simply splashing water sound?

Nano
04-18-2012, 09:37 PM
if its just a splashing noise into the overflow box, maybe a bit of foam or filter floss will dampen the noise, mind you this route you would have to clean or replace the floss probably weekly. but your water will be very polished as well

philg3
04-18-2012, 09:42 PM
I looked at the instructions for your overflow, I wasnt sure what the water level adjuster does, or how the bulkhead is set up. I would look at replacing your stock water level adjuster with one of these:

http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/

I've never used one, but considered it when I was still running a HOB overflow.

Enigma
04-18-2012, 09:58 PM
What noise is it making? Is it a slurping/flushing sound or simply splashing water sound?

I think it is mostly a splashing/falling water sound with a touch of a gurgle/slurping sound.

if its just a splashing noise into the overflow box, maybe a bit of foam or filter floss will dampen the noise, mind you this route you would have to clean or replace the floss probably weekly. but your water will be very polished as well

I was thinking that maybe stuffing something in the box might help. I'll try that.

I looked at the instructions for your overflow, I wasnt sure what the water level adjuster does, or how the bulkhead is set up. I would look at replacing your stock water level adjuster with one of these:

http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/

I've never used one, but considered it when I was still running a HOB overflow.

The water level adjuster basically raises the height of the bulkhead overflow, thus raising the operating level of the water in the aquarium, thus causing a big flood when the system starts back up again if the water level adjuster is pulled up. It seems to add around a gallon of water to the aquarium when it is priming itself. This wouldn't be an issue in a bigger tank, but in my little 10 gallon it can result in a big mess.

The link you provided is one of the ones I was looking at, and it is the one I was most leaning towards attempting. I guess the best way to figure out if it will work is to go ahead and try it?

Enigma
04-19-2012, 09:10 PM
I think it is mostly a splashing/falling water sound with a touch of a gurgle/slurping sound.

I was wrong. I listened closely to it last night, and it is a gurgle/slurping sound that is the most obvious and most annoying.

RDNanoGuy
04-20-2012, 05:42 AM
I was wrong. I listened closely to it last night, and it is a gurgle/slurping sound that is the most obvious and most annoying.

Fit it was me I'd look at fitting a durso standpipe into the outer box. You'll need a couple of PVC fittings that will attach to the existing standpipe. You'll need a tee, a 90' elbow and a cap plus little bit of the same diameter PVC pipe. Kevin at RC could probably fab it up from parts at his shop.

mike31154
04-20-2012, 03:42 PM
DIY still might be a good option, even though you're not too keen on it. With minimal cost & some PVC pipe you can construct something that's relatively quiet. Here's a YouTube link to one variation of a PVC overflow. It's a bit longer at 20 or so minutes, but shows sufficient detail to provide a good understanding of how it's done. I've seen others with various mods to the intake etc. but this one's a good start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65yVr7DiDls