PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to lower phosphate and nitrate level?

Oilers
04-18-2012, 06:07 AM
I am setting up a small tank (28G nanocube) for my little boy. I used some of the live rocks from my DT and filled half the tank with the water from the DT and made up the rest of the water. It's been running for about a week under metal halide light for about 12h a day. I tested the water today and found the level of phosphate and nitrate to be a bit high. Phosphate is around 2 and nitrate is around 5. What can I do or add to the tank to lower those levels down to zero? Also, there are some brown algae on top of the sand bed. What should I do beside WC which I am planning to do one tomorrow? Is the algae forming because of too much light? I have no sump but do have a skimmer running. Thanks for your input.

reefwars
04-18-2012, 06:10 AM
gfo reactor does miricles for small tanks, if you do a heavy water change and run gfo through a reactor it will bring both down instantly. then if you continue a small amount of gfo and with light feedings and reg water changes nitrates shouldnt be an issue(assuming your using quality liverock)

skimmer wouldnt hurt if you can workmit in:P

***edit*** you have skimmer so good:)

reefwars
04-18-2012, 06:12 AM
brown algae is more than likely diatoms it should go away as the tank matures and water quality stays consistant with good flow:)

windcoast reefs
04-18-2012, 09:28 AM
I would try Gfo and some carbon, but I would also reduce your lighting from 12 hours to 8. I don't think it will do anything for the levels but it will certainly help with any algae.

Oilers
04-19-2012, 04:04 AM
I have reduced the hour of lighting down to 8 and also threw in some carbon. For the GFO reactor, can it be used without a sump?

reefwars
04-19-2012, 04:11 AM
I have reduced the hour of lighting down to 8 and also threw in some carbon. For the GFO reactor, can it be used without a sump?

it can be ran both hob or in sump:) heres a pic

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8r_TuBnUHhXEg4p5nkze-NOSO_Wpl7cZIgGIAvtJZNnHRrj0K
basically a input from a small pump like a maxijet and output with ballvalve :)

daniella3d
04-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Redsea NO3PO4X, drastic reduction. I started at half the dose they recommande and the effect on algae is very noticeable after a week. Need supplementation of coral food or they will starve.

sphelps
04-19-2012, 06:46 PM
It's 28 gallon tank so I'd change 28 gallons of water, just like that zero nitrates and phosphates. Adding media reactors to such a small tanks seems pretty silly IMO, way more trouble than it's worth.

jorjef
04-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Does anyone have experience with how much clams can reduce nitrate? Is it negligible?

paddyob
04-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Reduce feedings. Minimize frozen food.

Proper maintenance.

I have never had any of either in six years... Asides from new tank syndrome.

Gfo is a band aid to the problem. Control first, Gfo as assistant or pellets.

paddyob
04-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Does anyone have experience with how much clams can reduce nitrate? Is it negligible?

Interested to know this too. Keep in mind though, clams can have special requirements of their own.... Pests can bother them and some fish may too.

Aquattro
04-19-2012, 08:38 PM
There is a thread on this topic somewhere in the last 2 weeks, have a look and see if you can find it. Basically clams don't work unless you have a ton of them..

TimT
04-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Clams will lower the nitrates but you do need a lot of them.

Google "Reef Videos and Marte Meneses". Marte had 55 in his tank but also look at his fish load!!!

Cheers,
Tim