PDA

View Full Version : Transporting sps colonies

Starry
04-18-2012, 04:01 AM
I have 6 large sps colonies, that wont fit in bags. to tranport 9hrs away. ive read draping them with wet newspaper in a heated stryro box works. any thoughts or better ideas? thanks

fishytime
04-18-2012, 04:07 AM
I would go with coolers.....the more expensive ones are better, but the cheap styrofoam ones would probably work.....this assuming that they wont take the ride in the back of a pick-up....

gregzz4
04-18-2012, 04:10 AM
Sounds like you need to ship lots of water. I agree with the cooler idea. Use something water-tight and don't forget heat packs.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41875&highlight=ship+corals

bkelly
04-18-2012, 04:33 AM
hey Trevor i got a few livestock cooler boxes with plastic liner you can have. maybe theyd hold a smaller container of water with your SPS colony. Also saw Princess auto had heat packs cheep.

Aquattro
04-18-2012, 04:36 AM
I've moved colonies dry before, but for an hour, tops. Not sure about 9...

Starry
04-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Have lots of styro fish boxes, and heat packs. gonna try small white garbage bags. would put them loose in the coolers with lots of water as suggested, but dont think the heat packs would handle the water well. will be packing them into my minivan in the morning. btw...some fish are so much easier to catch when they are sleeping. took me 3 min to net 2 clowns and a tailspot blenny. tang, chromis and gobies are gonna be another matter.

DAVE
04-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Heat packs don't really work.

Once the oxygen is cut off to them they no longer produce heat.

They may work for the first half hour or so but that's it.

lngrhaul
04-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Why not place each colony in its own bucket of water? use some styrofoam to pack around it to keep it from moving around?? Never tried it but just a suggestion. Good luck.

Geofrog
04-18-2012, 07:38 PM
My suggestion would be to get a large rubbermaid container, a 25-50W heater, and a power inverter. Transport ther coral in the container with the lid on and plug the heater into the minivan using the inverter.

I've transported corals like this over relatively short drives (1 hour), using the heater.
Not sure how well it would work over longer period though.

stevenk
04-18-2012, 07:43 PM
The cooler idea is the way to go, I have one that I use that plugs into the car that will either cool or heat. I use the heat setting then I don't have to rely on hot pads.

reefwars
04-18-2012, 07:59 PM
My suggestion would be to get a large rubbermaid container, a 25-50W heater, and a power inverter. Transport ther coral in the container with the lid on and plug the heater into the minivan using the inverter.

I've transported corals like this over relatively short drives (1 hour), using the heater.
Not sure how well it would work over longer period though.

ive done this exact same thing for a 12hr drive with a whole system during winter(feels like i should add a up hill crack in there) :P