PDA

View Full Version : Quick Clam question

reefgirl189
04-16-2012, 08:21 PM
What kind of nitrate level do you need to sustain a clam exactly? I've wanted one for a long time but I dose prodibio and my levels aren't even detectable.

Also to all you vendors out there posting pics of your beautiful drool worthy clams and corals - shame on you! You're going to drive me to bankrupcy! :mrgreen:

dc4
04-16-2012, 08:33 PM
What kind of nitrate level do you need to sustain a clam exactly? I've wanted one for a long time but I dose prodibio and my levels aren't even detectable.

Also to all you vendors out there posting pics of your beautiful drool worthy clams and corals - shame on you! You're going to drive me to bankrupcy! :mrgreen:

If the clam is over 2" and you have a good light source, the clam should get enough light to live on without any feedings or nitrate.

Aquattro
04-16-2012, 09:05 PM
My NO3 is not detectable and my clam does fine.

Proteus
04-16-2012, 09:39 PM
I use prodibio and have 8 clams. No issues

reefgirl189
04-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Well WTF. here I was purposefully avoiding the clam section in an EDM LFS for nothing. So over 2" should be fine then under LEDs? No target feeding required?

The Grizz
04-16-2012, 11:21 PM
3 clams in my tank under LED's and no target feeding for me so you should be fine. I fine that the larger clams +2" do have a little better survival rate.

dc4
04-16-2012, 11:30 PM
3 clams in my tank under LED's and no target feeding for me so you should be fine. I fine that the larger clams +2" do have a little better survival rate.

I have 3 croceas under leds a well, doing fine. I had a small maxima and it didn't make it even with live phyto tank feedings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

tang daddy
04-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Small clams require heavy feeding and are super sensitive, I haven't been able to keep the 1-2" clams 3-4" are alot easier..... I have only lost a few larger Tahitian clams because they generally don't do well in captivity, everything else is happy. Maximas are the hardest, croceas, squamosa, derasa are the order of hardest to easiest. I currently have 13 croceas and 1 blue squamosa, and recently got a gold and black squamosa...;)

fishytime
04-16-2012, 11:34 PM
I wouldnt add one to a tank as new as yours.......they may not need nitrates at a certain size but they do need a stable, mature tank....

reefgirl189
04-16-2012, 11:42 PM
I wouldnt add one to a tank as new as yours.......they may not need nitrates at a certain size but they do need a stable, mature tank....

Yeah I think I should wait until I'm past the 6 month mark.. And then start out with a 4"+ maxima.