PDA

View Full Version : freshwater baths

troni
04-16-2012, 07:30 PM
good thing i didnt sell my setup because i think my clowns are sick. they are perc clowns and the black is fading, they are also acting weird. swimming sideways and up. acting weird. i did some looking and found it might be brooks. and then came across freshwater baths. has anybody tried doing this? looking for someone who has experienced this.

http://www.aquariumslife.com/diseases/freshwater-dip-against-saltwater-fish-diseases/

George
04-16-2012, 08:29 PM
I have been doing fresh water dips for years, although not to treat brook. It's a good and quick way to reduce external parasites from fish. (key word is reduce. You still have to treat remaining whatever parasites the fish has).
The link you have is a good start to do the treatment. Basically you just need to match PH and temp to your DT/QT as much as possible. The only thing I do it differently from the link is I only do it for 5 min. max. I believe that if parasites can withstand a freshwater bath for more than 5 minutes, it's very likely that they can withstand 30 minutes.

tt101
04-16-2012, 09:40 PM
I have been doing fresh water dips for years, although not to treat brook. It's a good and quick way to reduce external parasites from fish. (key word is reduce. You still have to treat remaining whatever parasites the fish has).
The link you have is a good start to do the treatment. Basically you just need to match PH and temp to your DT/QT as much as possible. The only thing I do it differently from the link is I only do it for 5 min. max. I believe that if parasites can withstand a freshwater bath for more than 5 minutes, it's very likely that they can withstand 30 minutes.

i agree, i recently did a fresh water dip for my first pair of clowns and i think its an amazing way to help reduce/eliminate some parasites and also i agree with george that i wouldnt do 30 mins IMO its way too long

troni
04-16-2012, 10:56 PM
so i did a bath for 15 and they seem to be better but i dont have a QT but theres no any other livestock in tank so i might do something else.

Myka
04-17-2012, 01:00 AM
The best treatment for Brookynella I've used is Formalin dips. You really need to be sure it is Brook though. Treatment for Brook whether it be Formalin or the ever popular (although despised by me) copper treatment, are both harsh medicines. I've had better results with Formalin.

troni
04-17-2012, 10:56 PM
http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii495/troni2/DSC09681.jpg

gregzz4
04-17-2012, 11:02 PM
I've never seen Septicemia anywhere except around fins, but the color is right
Maybe there used to be a parasite attached ?

troni
04-17-2012, 11:32 PM
but they are still acting weird

gregzz4
04-17-2012, 11:42 PM
but they are still acting weird
That's not abnormal as, whatever the infection is, they aren't happy.
Hopefully someone more experienced than I will see your pic and chime in.
In the meantime, read up on Septicemia just in case that's what it is. This way if it's the infection, you'll be prepared to deal with it.
But don't do anything until someone gives you a firmer diagnosis.

gregzz4
04-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Maybe re-post the picture under something like;
Help what's this disease ?
Or something like that