PDA

View Full Version : Royal Gramma and Sexy Shrimp!

Duker
04-16-2012, 04:03 AM
Hey all, I am thinking of adding a royal gramma, BUT I have a nice herd of sexy shrimp in my tank that I am particularly fond of. I know basslet nature is cautioned with decorative shrimp, but I am wondering if anyone out there had some first hand experience with this mix??? And generally royal grammas are pretty well behaved.....thoughts???
Cheers Ronnie

subman
04-16-2012, 04:18 AM
I have never had this combo but I wouldn't try it. My Royal Gramma is pretty well behaved but every once and a while I see a mean streak come out. This is in a tank full of large fish, he'll charge a fish 10 times his size when he's ****ed off rofl

Duker
04-16-2012, 04:23 AM
Yeah, that's kinda what i remember to, and i do have quite few tiny trimma gobies along with my herd of sexy shrimp.

christyf5
04-16-2012, 03:44 PM
one word. snackycakes :biggrin:

Borderjumper
04-16-2012, 04:00 PM
I agree.. Little yummmms. I was once told I could put sexys in with my spotted anthias., which acts more like a basslet than an anthias. Ha Ha.. He ate a dozen over the next few days.

mikeclarke
04-16-2012, 06:10 PM
I have a royal gramma in my 20gal FOWLR tank. I have two clowns, two blue damsels, a coral banded shrimp and some snails and hermit crabs. I think that the shrimp really rules the roost.

Things were going well until a couple of days ago, I've noticed that the royal gramma sits in the corner at the top of the tank vertically. I did a 20% water change and tested everything to be okay. The pH might be a tiny bit low but I don't have a LFS. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

On a side note, I had a tag along crab that I never really got a good look at from some live rock I bought. I put some shells in the tank when I bought my other crabs and there were big bits of a big crab in the morning. I think that the crab came out of his hiding spot and tried to get into one of the big shells but didn't make it before the shrimp got him.:cry:

reefgirl189
04-16-2012, 06:53 PM
I just put a royal gramma in my tank yesterday actually.

I have 2 Peppermint shrimps, 2 cleaner shrimps and a fire shrimp and they are all double the size of the royal gramma. I think everyone will get along fine.

The only rule in my tank is no one messes with the copperband or they get themselves permanently banned from my tank for life. They can pester eachother all they want as long as they leave CBB alone.

Duker
04-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Yeah, i know about large shrimp with royal grammas---they are fine. I was wondering if anyone had dared to try "specifically royal gramma and sexy shrimp". But anyway thanks all, i have decided not to risk it, and yes nummers nummers is what i thought to.
thanks for sharing your thoughts.

hfp75
06-10-2012, 05:55 AM
I have had my 24g up and running for a while now. My RG has been in there for about 3 months. Last month I added a Peppermint Shrimp (they were on sale). I have not seen him in a long time. I am assuming that he is gone and was dinner for the Gramma.

Not noticing in time or putting things together.... I bought 2 Sexy shrimp about 2 weeks ago. They are still present and accounted for.

I might need a Maxi Mini or something like that to give them a little protection..... Maybe that would just centralize them for when the RG is hungry - he'll know where to go get them.... I only have a 24g and fear that an anemone might be overkill for the tank...

paddyob
06-10-2012, 03:54 PM
A shrimp ate a crab? Really? What kind?

I have a royal gramma in my 20gal FOWLR tank. I have two clowns, two blue damsels, a coral banded shrimp and some snails and hermit crabs. I think that the shrimp really rules the roost.

Things were going well until a couple of days ago, I've noticed that the royal gramma sits in the corner at the top of the tank vertically. I did a 20% water change and tested everything to be okay. The pH might be a tiny bit low but I don't have a LFS. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

On a side note, I had a tag along crab that I never really got a good look at from some live rock I bought. I put some shells in the tank when I bought my other crabs and there were big bits of a big crab in the morning. I think that the crab came out of his hiding spot and tried to get into one of the big shells but didn't make it before the shrimp got him.:cry:

hfp75
06-11-2012, 05:25 AM
I said that a shrimp was eaten by a fish...