PDA

View Full Version : Majestic Angel in Reef?

MarkoD
04-16-2012, 01:58 AM
Would really like to get a Majestic angel but have read mixed reviews.

would like to weigh out the good and bad

i've got a mix of SPS, LPS, and softies

tim the toolman
04-16-2012, 02:32 AM
They will usually nip at softies and Lps as well as some inverts and clams which I seem to recall you having. There are some cases of people having luck with them though. What I read is that your best off to get a mature one from someone who has a tame one already.
They are nice enough looking to risk the nipping though

Proteus
04-16-2012, 02:33 AM
I want one also but can't bring myself to chance it. I just lost a acro efflo to a citrus gobie. 15 dollar fish that has potential to take out thousands in coral

Myka
04-16-2012, 01:58 PM
I think you should have worded your poll differently. I could vote no, and it would be accurate, but that's because I've never tried. :lol: You might get quite a few "false negatives".

I have really been tempted to try out a Majestic Angelfish in my reef once I move all the LPS out. Majestic Angelfish are about as reef-safe as Angels get provided the tank is SPS only. Of course fleshy LPS, clams, and Zoas are always first on the menu. I wouldn't put any type of Angelfish (inc the Dwarfs) in a mixed reef.

fishoholic
04-16-2012, 02:19 PM
My experience with Large angels was good, but I only had a colt coral, gsp, hammer corals, frogspwan and torch corals.

MarkoD
04-16-2012, 02:28 PM
thanks for the input everyone

Argentiner
04-16-2012, 03:49 PM
I've had one in my reef for the last 3 months or so with no issues at all. Bought it off a fellow canreefer as an adult where he was in a FOWLR. I have softies, LPS and SPS. No clams but 1 acan, lots of gorgs. Haven't seen him nip at anything. I have a regal angel that nips but doesn't really hurt anything. I wouldn't say I overfeed them at all either.

rastaangel
04-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Ive got a emperor, blue face and majestic in my SPS tank. I know the emperor is SPS safe but I cant overly vouge for the others 100% yet

fishytime
04-16-2012, 11:59 PM
it's your money:razz:

Hey Scott, weren't you the one who bought that angel that was in the old display at the old shop?

untamed
04-17-2012, 12:43 AM
It has been a few years now...no problems...but I'm not sure I would notice if he snacked on some SPS. He is well fed.

Argentiner
04-17-2012, 04:12 AM
Ya, I bought that transition emperor that was fairly reef safe in the shop and he went crazy on my corals right from the first day so he didn't last long in there.

moppy
04-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Let's just say I had a tank full of colourful corals and I no longer have any zoas (10 colonies) or LPS (Brains, Donuts etc...).

The majestic is beautiful but mine ate EVERYTHING that looked good to it.