PDA

View Full Version : Adding more Sand

Gujustud
03-14-2004, 09:51 PM
I decided to get more sand for my tank, as the 30lbs didn't do the best job in covering the bottom (specially since I've added a peice of egg crate to the bottom of the tank).

My stand is almost done (next week hopefully), and since I'm moving my tank, and will be taking most of the stuff out to do so, I figured I'd add some more sand to the tank while doing so.

I bought some more sugar sand (which is what is currently in the tank), and I was wondering if:

1) it would be okay to add it straight in after I move the tank (before adding the LR and water in)

or

2) if, since i'm doing a water change today, I should take the water from the tank, put it in another tank I have, and put the new sand in there, and leave it circulating for a week or so before adding it in?

Thanks!

sumpfinfishe
03-14-2004, 10:27 PM
I have added new sand to my existing system before with no problems. I would though make sure that the sand is thoroughly rinsed before adding it to the tank. I used to rinse new sand in a pail in the tub or outside with a garden hose for at least an hour or so in order to get rid of all the junk.

I also use a 2 vinyl hose for adding new sand to an already setup tank, as corals and fish don't like huge dust clouds of sand this helps to spread the sand in a confinned area where you want it to be. Simply place one end of the hose right at the bottom of the mature bed and you can then use a funnel made out of cardboard to pour in the other open end of the hose that's out of the water.

StirCrazy
03-15-2004, 02:50 AM
next time you do a water change save the water in a bucket with your sand. let it site for a week or so and get all coated with bacteria (have it heated) then put the wet sand in a plastic bag with a corner cut off, hold the cornet closed and lower it into your tank and then open the corner right above your sand bed.

Steve

Gujustud
03-15-2004, 05:13 AM
next time you do a water change save the water in a bucket with your sand. let it site for a week or so and get all coated with bacteria (have it heated) then put the wet sand in a plastic bag with a corner cut off, hold the cornet closed and lower it into your tank and then open the corner right above your sand bed.

Steve

Cool, thanks Steve. Thats what I was wondering, if it would be better to allow the sand to, shall I say "break in" before putting it in the tank.

However, I will be taking everything out of the tank (LR/water) while I move my tank, so when I'm reading I'll just pour in the new sand in.

Should I mix it up with the existing sand?