PDA

View Full Version : how to frag frogspawn?

burgerchow
04-15-2012, 04:43 AM
What do you guys use to frag frogspawn? I've got 2 giant colonies, each about the size of those small mini watermelons. They're getting so big that the bottom heads aren't getting any light. I tried using my coral cutters, but the stalks are too big. Guess I have to take them out of the tank and use a hacksaw or dremel. Any ideas?

reefwars
04-15-2012, 04:54 AM
dremel or hacksaw would work just fine:P

Snappy
04-15-2012, 05:23 AM
A tile wetsaw would be a better tool for the job.

burgerchow
04-15-2012, 05:49 AM
Anybody got an underwater laser cutter I could borrow or rent?

whatcaneyedo
04-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Anybody got an underwater laser cutter I could borrow or rent?

Sorry my laser beams are mounted on the heads of my sharks.

Frogspawn skeleton is pretty porous. You should be able to use the cutters you have to gnaw through it. If you're not too concerned about where they separate you might even be able to break them apart by hand. I'm assuming yours are the branching variety because you said 'heads'. If they're actually the wall type then a tile saw would be a much better choice.

gregzz4
04-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Sorry my laser beams are mounted on the heads of my sharks
:razz:

You could offer fragging @ $'s/frag

Trigs
04-15-2012, 10:03 AM

Classic.

burgerchow
04-15-2012, 02:54 PM

Frogspawn skeleton is pretty porous. You should be able to use the cutters you have to gnaw through it. If you're not too concerned about where they separate you might even be able to break them apart by hand. I'm assuming yours are the branching variety because you said 'heads'. If they're actually the wall type then a tile saw would be a much better choice.

yes, they are the branching type. The stalks where I want to cut off are pretty thick, about 3/4 inch, guess I gotta use a dremel.

tang daddy
04-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Dremel with cut off wheel to score the area then clippers the rest, I sheared through solid calcium on a lobo and it worked great, frogspawn should be like cutting through butter.....

whatcaneyedo
04-15-2012, 06:38 PM
You can buy really inexpensive diamond wheels for your Dremal or rotary tool at Princess Auto. Larger pairs of clippers also exist with an opening that could fit around a 3/4" coral skeleton. When I broke my little ones I bought one of these http://www.blueworldaquariums.com/proddetail.php?prod=1254456 Tip to tip when fully opened is 1-1/4" and the finish makes them more corrosion resistant.

wingedfish
04-15-2012, 06:40 PM
I use a junk set of tin snips. It also breaks pretty easy if you have enough to hold onto.

mohammadali
04-15-2012, 06:45 PM
I used a sawkinfe and it was a easy work