PDA

View Full Version : tank mates not getting along

isaac1
04-14-2012, 02:52 AM
So i picked up a new addition for my tank today and for some reason my peacefull fish have turned extreamly aggressive towards there new mate witch is a powder blue tang my scopis and tomato are loseing it but theyve never had a problem before i have 1scopis 3 chromis 1 tomato 1 cleaner wrasse and my tomato has never been agressive nor my scopis untill i introduced my powder blue they are all housed in a90 gallon with 80 pounds of rock any ideas or insight on this behaviour

George
04-14-2012, 03:54 AM
So i picked up a new addition for my tank today and for some reason my peacefull fish have turned extreamly aggressive towards there new mate witch is a powder blue tang my scopis and tomato are loseing it but theyve never had a problem before i have 1scopis 3 chromis 1 tomato 1 cleaner wrasse and my tomato has never been agressive nor my scopis untill i introduced my powder blue they are all housed in a90 gallon with 80 pounds of rock any ideas or insight on this behaviour

It's expected for the tomato clown and the scopas tang to react violently toward the poweder blue tang. Tomato is considered to be one of the most agressive clown, generally speaking. Scopas is pretty aggresive toward other tangs.
It's best to use some kind of acclimation box to acclimate new fish. The box can be built out of some acrylic or egg crate. Some people even use egg crate to divide their tanks to acclimate new fish. Some people say moving the rock around work for them. Not many people can/want to move their rock around.
Good luck.

fishytime
04-14-2012, 03:58 AM
with tangs there is almost always a period of fighting.....it usually calms down after a few days.....if it doesnt calm down, then you have a problem.....I tried the dividing the tank thing recently and it didnt work for me....the new fish still got harassed after I removed the divider

subman
04-14-2012, 04:00 AM
at the very least turn the lights off and feed the fish when you introduce a new tank mate.

George
04-14-2012, 04:06 AM
with tangs there is almost always a period of fighting.....it usually calms down after a few days.....if it doesnt calm down, then you have a problem.....I tried the dividing the tank thing recently and it didnt work for me....the new fish still got harassed after I removed the divider

yeah..I don't think any acclinmation method can completely avoid aggression among fish. But at least for the divider/acclimation box methods, the new fish has a chance to adapt to the new environment before being harrased.

fishytime
04-14-2012, 04:12 AM
yeah..I don't think any acclinmation method can completely avoid aggression among fish. But at least for the divider/acclimation box methods, the new fish has a chance to adapt to the new environment before being harrased.

I'll give you that.....it did allow the newbie to settle down from being moved for a couple days....I perhaps should have left the divider in longer but I didnt like having three tangs in a 3" section of the tank

tim the toolman
04-14-2012, 04:29 AM
Even if they get along now your Tangs will both outgrow the tank and fight eventually. Plan for an upgrade

isaac1
04-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Well to late the tomato and scopis managed to kill him ugggggh