PDA

View Full Version : LF Pico AIO

Nano
04-13-2012, 09:12 PM
The boss is "thinking" about letting me do a pico tank on my Desk. So if he says yes, I'm looking for a small pico, say 1-3 gallons, preferably an AIO

Max Dimensions including Lights
14"Lx12"Hx10"W

probably just zoas in this maybe a stick of sps, we'll see let me know if you have anything that fits the build at a moderate price

MarkoD
04-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Im sorry I don't understand why anyone would do this. Is a 1-3 gallon really gonna bring you any kind of joy or satisfaction.

Maybe for a week or two and then you'll become annoyed with constantly topping it up, cleaning the glass, changing the water, etc.

All for what? So you can watch a stick of sps grow painfully slow?

Just take the money you'd put into that and put it in your main tank

Nano
04-13-2012, 09:37 PM
actually it would. I miss my tank when I'm at work, so it would be nice to
have a little zoagarden at work. I have RO in my Office, so topping it up
would be no trouble each day. changing the water is as simple as bringing a
half gallon from home, once a week, and taking all of 5 minutes to do so.

Mandosh
04-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Im sorry I don't understand why anyone would do this. Is a 1-3 gallon really gonna bring you any kind of joy or satisfaction.

Maybe for a week or two and then you'll become annoyed with constantly topping it up, cleaning the glass, changing the water, etc.

All for what? So you can watch a stick of sps grow painfully slow?

Just take the money you'd put into that and put it in your main tank

Random question....How many Ed Hardy tee-shirts and pairs of True Religion jeans do you currently own, or have you owned in the past?

Nano
04-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Random question....How many Ed Hardy tee-shirts and pairs of True Religion jeans do you currently own, or have you owned in the past?
:lol:

MarkoD
04-13-2012, 10:59 PM

ed hardy? that **** is so tacky, so that would be 0

Nano
04-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the input Marko... :crazyeye:

Back to the topic now :lol:

MarkoD
04-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Ok back on topic. Are you gonna keep fish?

Without at a source of poop and ammonia what's gonna keep your live rock and corals live?

Nano
04-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Ok back on topic. Are you gonna keep fish?

Without at a source of poop and ammonia what's gonna keep your live rock and corals live?
Might keep a micro goby or something. not sure, I might Do a Betta Tank too, depends on where I decide to go with it.

MarkoD
04-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Just making sure you don't forget something and end up wasting money

Nano
04-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Just making sure you don't forget something and end up wasting money

lol. no stress. Like I said, unless I can grab a pico I like at a reasonable price, the wife is a no go, and will tell me to just get a betta. which is also fine

subman
04-14-2012, 12:19 AM
There are some amazing Pico's on other forums:

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f97/a-new-pico-reef-for-you-3-yrs-old-1-gallon-vase-131839.html

full reefs with inverts, softies, lps, sps ect.
I wanted to one for a while, maybe one day.

Aquaria
04-14-2012, 04:08 AM
Fluval edge 6g little bigger then u want but they make nice reef picos and 100ish price tag isn't that bad

subman
04-14-2012, 04:35 AM
How about a fluval spec 2 gal.

http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Aquariums/Starter-Kits-Desktop/10510

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzr3EyyXs10

Nano
04-14-2012, 04:37 AM
Looks about the right size

subman
04-14-2012, 04:39 AM
Now I want to get one lol

I think it could be a fun project

Nano
04-14-2012, 04:44 AM
It would be. And Marko is right constant top offs but having ro right at my desk means I can ghetto rig an top off with a water bottle. I would have to double check how it works but I have seen in done with a 5 gallon bucket before with airlines that drain when the water level drops. Pretty basic.

megs_clark
04-14-2012, 04:51 AM
I had a little 5g going for a year and it was my clearest and cleanest tank in the house. I didnt even do that many water changes. I found once i rigged up a aquaclear and threw in some cheato it was my kids favorite tank because you could see everything up close!

subman
04-14-2012, 04:55 AM
I think a cup would work fine lol. The tank only has a small opening so its evaporation would be minimal I think.

Snaz
04-14-2012, 05:55 AM
Sorry to hijack but frankly I would not own a reef over 29g. I have seen great 250g tanks and sure the fish are awesome but it's not very intimate. I can scrunch my nose into every cranny of my 12g and marvel at every polyp and every spaghetti worm.

Big tanks come with big headaches not to mention big bills.