PDA

View Full Version : KH doser blockage

bkelly
04-13-2012, 04:18 PM
I auto dose KH with Sodium Bicarbonate and i am getting build up were the line goes into the sump thats causing the line to block. It actually blew out the connection to the pump this week from it being blocked. Ive been sticking a dowel up the line to clean it out. Is there any way to prevent this.
I use a 1/4 inch RO line from my doser to the sump and ive experimented with the line going into the sump water and dripping from above the sump seems to clog both ways , i could put a check valve on the line perhaps. Or different line?
Has Any one dealt with this.
Thanks

e46er
04-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Happened to me once now u take the line out monthly or sp and run hot water thru it seems to work as it hasn't clogged in a year or so

Myka
04-14-2012, 01:33 AM
I've been using the same line for 2 years, and it has never clogged. My line hangs in the air so that the drip drips off the end instead of running down the glass. I've used Fauna Marin and BRS products, and haven't had an issue. What brand are you using?

bkelly
04-14-2012, 03:04 AM
Hi Mindy, right now im using Elis soda ash. i read maybe the tubing can cause problems with restrictions (something about the silicone line and less friction?), do you use air line tubing im using the white RO tubing but do have it feeding into the sump water. Although the doser on my nano is dripping above the tank and gets build up. so perhaps the chems? both can crud up in a week .

Myka
04-14-2012, 03:17 AM
Brent, that's kinda strange they are clogging up so fast. I just use plain ole air line tubing even though I do have a roll of silicone tubing on hand.

eli@fijireefrock.com
04-14-2012, 03:25 AM
I use silicone tubing and never had any problems,try and see if the tubing is touching the saltwater or maybe getting splashes from your sump water as this will cause the buildup and then the clogging.

bkelly
04-14-2012, 03:56 AM
so maybe its salt build up, i was thinking of putting a check valve at the end to have less doser line with the chem in it exposed to evap. , but ill try raising them further away from tank water.
thanks for the replys. (the nanos doser line that also cruds is 1 inch above water level, the crud is way whiter than the salt creep? my display is my main concern and seems to totally clog up the line at the tank end. )

Myka
04-14-2012, 01:16 PM
so maybe its salt build up

Well no, if the line is under water or getting saltwater on it somehow the buildup will probably be precipitation. Check out this interesting article by Randy Holmes-Farley on precipitation: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.php

KevinK
04-14-2012, 01:38 PM
take the line out of the water for about a inch, when mine is in the water, it clougs up within 2 days, all the time,

when it hangs gust above it, I never have this, even a year, never, but as soon as it hits the water, bang each day almost