PDA

View Full Version : X-10 Info and questions

Troy F
07-06-2002, 02:00 PM
Below is a copy of a post Bill Esposito sent to the Reefkeeper's Mailing List regarding X-10 stuff ;) .

Hi folks,

You can get the FireCracker remote PC module from X-10 for $19.95 until July
8th. It normally runs $39.95

Additionally if you use the link on my page, you can get a $15 voucher so the
price of the FireCracker delivered including shipping will be about 11 bucks.
If you want to avoid X10 spam, just create an email address on yahoo or Hotmail
and register that address, then just monitor it for the voucher.

While you're at it, take a look at my program eLightMaster. It works with the
FireCracker to provide a complete lighting solution for your tanks. I just
recently added a Wave maker option that some folks are using to operate their
automatic ball valves. Here are some of the features of eLight Master.

Lighting control:
* Simulate the sunrise/set patterns of any place in the world
* Simulate the moon following the sunrise/set and phase (intensity) of any
place in the world
* Manual latitude/longitude entry or pick a pre configured reef.
* "Offset" your viewing period to your personal preference while still
maintaining syncronization with the location you selected
* "Offset" some lamps from sunrise/set. This will allow you to stagger when
they turn on and turn off
* "Bracket" the sunrise/set times to control when the lights operate at either
end of the photoperiod (great for actinic dusk simulation)
* "Reverse Photo Period" allows you to have a sump or refugium lamp operate
exactly opposite the main lights.
* Normal manual timer control
* Six timers

WaveMaker:
* Enable up to 6 pumps
* Set on duration for each pump
* Sequential and random operation
* Select which pumps will turn off during the night
* Tides: Enter a number between 1 and 100 in the Intensity field and during the
tidal periods (2 hours around moonrise/set) the frequency of the pumps will
increase that amount. Example: If all pumps are set for 4 min entering 25 will
cause pumps to change every 3 min or 25% more often.
* Feed: Enter the duration in seconds for the Feed Cycle. Press the Feed
Button to suspend the pump operation for the duration of the feed cycle.
* Quiet: default "dead" time between pumps. Normally set to Zero.
* Toggle: When selected this feature turns pump 1 into an independent on/off
cycle. For use with the X10 Universal Module and ball valves.

Even if you don't use the wavemaker function, you can plug your
pumps/powerheads
into X10 and use the Feed option. No more forgetting to turn your pumps back
on
after you feed your tank.

Thanks,

Bill Esposito
bespo@cereal.mv.com
- - - - -
JAqua - A Graphical Web Enabled Interface for the AquaController 2
http://cerealport.net/jaqua.html
- - - - -
eLightMaster - A complete Daytime/Nighttime Lighting Simulator
http://cerealport.net/lightmaster.html
- - - - -
JMoonLight - An Inexpensive Moon Simulator
http://cerealport.net/jmoonlight
- - - - -
My Reef
http://cerealport.net/reef
- - - - -
My WoodWorking Pics
http://cerealport.net/digipics/ww1.html

Now a couple of these features would be really handy but how hard are these type of units to set up?

DJ88
07-06-2002, 02:10 PM
Troy,

They aren't hard to set up. I just bought that same firecracker set up.

[ 06 July 2002, 10:16: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

smokinreefer
07-06-2002, 03:22 PM
havent really looked into the x10 stuff, and dont know if i will use it, but i might just order it since its so cheap witht that offer.

fow a few bucks, might as well have it handy, may be a useful item to have.

thanks for the link troy.

BTW, that big lineatus is very nice!

DJ88
07-06-2002, 03:27 PM
Shao,

Just so you know for down the road if you like the X10 there is a great place on Lougheed that sells everything to do with X10. just not at this good of a price. That is why I am buying this part and getting more pieces in town.

FYI

[ 06 July 2002, 11:27: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

smokinreefer
07-06-2002, 05:37 PM
just a FYI...
if you order the above mentioned special, it will cost you...
~$25 CAD if you get it delivered to your door.
~$16 CAD if you have it delivered to an addy in the US.

happy shopping.

Troy F
07-06-2002, 05:39 PM
No prob Shao. And yes, that lineatus is beautiful. If I had a larger tank I'd go for it. That is the fattest one I've seen in person.

smokinreefer
07-06-2002, 05:45 PM
so did you order the firecracker troy?

DJ88
07-06-2002, 05:56 PM
Shao,

The prices are in US dollars. :( but still you are paying $4.99US for the control and accessories and the rest is shipping. So I don't care how cheap you are. this is a good deal. :D I bought one, my mother just did and I am betting my sister will.

It's a good deal people..

And I am moving this for more exposure... For the next couple of days until the sale ends. Sound good?

Troy F
07-06-2002, 06:01 PM
Yes, couldn't resist at that price. I don't normally shop in the US unless I can't get it up here but even I couldn't pass up that deal.

smokinreefer
07-06-2002, 06:11 PM
yup...i ordered mine already too.
but the prices i listed are the actual total price in Canadian Funds. just thought i'd post it up for those who were curious. :D

BC_Grl
07-06-2002, 06:19 PM
What else would you need to buy with it? I thought that if I buy the Firecracker Kit, I would just need to order the LightMaster to get it going. Then I would have my lights/wave motion all set up.

ldzielak
07-06-2002, 06:28 PM
Hey where is the store on Lougheed, I was always looking for a canadian supplier.

Lee

DJ88
07-06-2002, 06:37 PM
R P Electronic Components Ltd
2060 Rosser Ave, Burnaby, BC V5C5Y1
(604) 738-6722

It's a block west of willingdon and on the south side of Lougheed.

hth

[ 06 July 2002, 14:39: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

BC_Grl
07-07-2002, 04:53 AM
Oh, I think I get it...

The firecracker like a computerized power bar that you plug things into and LightMaster a program that you buy on top of it?

I took a boo at what Titus has, but can't afford the price. hehe

[ 06 July 2002, 12:55: Message edited by: BC_Grl ]

StirCrazy
07-07-2002, 06:00 PM
hey, I posted this stuff 2 months ago smile.gif that is abouthow long I have been running mine for.. not a problem to set up at all but Bill's program is a little trickey if you don't know how to install java stuff.. the program runs fine but it is more suited for a dedicated computer because of the way it runs.. it runs a windows box AND a dos box so you have two windows open on your desktop at all times.. also the cost is 20.00 US so it is quite expensive..

I am looking into some other options for programs now as there is lots of sourse code out there for firecracker control some that are way way advanced and some that are simple timers.. what I would like to find is something writen in visual basics so it will be a native windows program and you can have the option to minamize to the little taskbar so kids can't shut it down.. I have the source for a simple VB program for controling the firecracker so if anyone is good at program with VB let me know.

Steve

Aquattro
07-07-2002, 08:22 PM
Steve, there is a utility to minimize any app to the taskbar. I'll look for it later. And $20 US isn't really expensive. That would get you about an hour's worth of programming from a student. You won't get much code in an hour!

DJ88
07-07-2002, 08:34 PM
Steve,

to add to what Brad said, I charge about $20-50 and hour for web page work. Depending on what is required in the page.

$20 is a freebie. ;) You couldn't write this code in an hour.. lol

I was hoping that this software worked off of macros you loaded into the memory on the firecracker. grrr. oh well we will see what can be done with this later.

StirCrazy
07-07-2002, 09:06 PM
I know Darren, but I have been running this code for the last 3 demmo's to try it out and there are a lot of features I don't need.. but yes it is good and took some time to do.. and if my kid haden't shut it down 4 times on me by mistake I probably would have gotten it.

having said that a buddy of mine just informed me he will try to build a VB program for me..

also if you were hoping to download something into memory the Firecracker has no memory, you want the active home kit but it is quite a bit more money

Steve

[ 07 July 2002, 18:46: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

Aquattro
07-07-2002, 09:18 PM
Steve, what OS are you running?

DJ88
07-07-2002, 10:17 PM
Well doesn't that bite. I leave my puter up so it's no prob.. wanted to write some macros for it...

StirCrazy
07-07-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Reef_Raf:
Steve, what OS are you running?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">XP

Steve

StirCrazy
07-08-2002, 12:34 PM
Darren, don't worry about the sale ending soon, a week later it will be on sale again. X-10 come always has a sale going wich is cool.

this is what I posted almost two months ago

if anyone is interested in learning more about the firecracker set up or just X10 in general you can follow this link
"X-10" (http://www.x10.com/friends/refer.cgi?S.L.S@SHAW.CA) by regestering at this page you will get a 15.00 credit on your first order. I did this and ended up getting my firecracker kit for 37.00 including tax and shipping.

anyways I just wanted to let you all know that as soon as this sale ens there will be another and so on and so on so you don't have to jump into it if you are not sure yet.

Steve

StirCrazy
07-09-2002, 02:15 AM
ok after some more digging around I found a free controler that looks pretty nifty for light control.

you can take a look at it and download it as it is now freeware from here
http://users.ntplx.net/~jpjones/tech/fireworx10.htm#download

hey also has a web frontend to vew x-10 states on his main page
http://users.ntplx.net/~jpjones/tech/fireworx.htm

I am going to play with this while I have a more involved program being made for me by a friend of mine.

Steve

[ 08 July 2002, 22:26: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

ldzielak
07-09-2002, 02:54 AM
Darren,

How are the prices for modules and recepticals at the Lougheed store? Not that I will get into this any time soon.

Lee

bill-e
07-09-2002, 08:24 PM
Hey folks,

Blame Jeanna for giving me this URL smile.gif

I can probably answer alot of your X10 questions. I hope some of you jumped on that sale, I havent seen it that cheap for a couple of years.

StirCrazy
07-09-2002, 08:43 PM
Welcome Bill, I am sure you knowledge and experience with X-10 will be of benefit.
Maybe I can start with the first question... hehe
Is there a module that can control power heads that is quiet?

Steve

Troy F
07-09-2002, 08:52 PM
Hi Bill. What hardware from X10 do you need, besides the firecracker unit, to run the lighting program you sell so that you don't need your computer running all the time?

[ 09 July 2002, 16:55: Message edited by: Troy F ]

DJ88
07-09-2002, 08:53 PM
Lee,

the good modules(appliance and lamp) are $20. you can guage the prices from there I guess.. (basically I can't rememebr.. old.. ;) )

Bill,

Welcome to the board..

I grabbed one. Troy did as well.. Awesome price.. Next comes software.. smile.gif

bill-e
07-09-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by StirCrazy:
Welcome Bill, I am sure you knowledge and experience with X-10 will be of benefit.
Maybe I can start with the first question... hehe
Is there a module that can control power heads that is quiet?

Steve<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks Steve,

There is a module which is solid state but it's quite expensive, I think around $60US, so for the price of a couple of those you could buy a wavemaker.

There is also a DIY link (which I thought I had bookmarked but cant find) which explains how to convert an appliance module into solid state.

The WaveMaker feature was originally added to support a couple of reefers who wanted to control a motorized ball valve with the X10 universal module which is quiet (but not suited for a powerhead) and I figured I'd add the other pump options for those who dont mind the clicks. I have one guy who wants to use it in a store and his modules wont be heard in the store.

Another idea if you can, is to simply plug the modules in to a receptical somewhere like in the basement or a closet where you wont hear them, and then run thin lamp wire up to your powerheads.

The WaveMaker is a recent feature and a purchase option if you dont need it. Where eLightMaster shines is in it's lighting control.

Steve, I just want to add that one very cool feature which comes with the WaveMaker option is FEED control. How many times have we turned off pumps during feeding and forgot to turn them back on again. With the FEED option, you configure the feed cycle time, say 5 minutes, and then plug the pumps you want on the feed cycle into X10 modules. Then when feeding time comes, you push the feed button. The pumps shut off and automatically come back on 5 minutes later.

[ 09 July 2002, 17:20: Message edited by: bill-e ]

bill-e
07-09-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Troy F:
Hi Bill. What hardware from X10 do you need, besides the firecracker unit, to run the lighting program you sell so that you don't need your computer running all the time?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Troy,

Cant be done. eLightMaster utilizes the computer to determine all it's rise and set and phase times as well as the corresponding commands for how much to dim the moon for instance. If you want a static timer, you could simply buy one, no need for the eLightMaster features then.

I know a couple of guys who bought for almost nothin old pentium laptops and use those to run eLightMaster. Also, running your computer 24/7 (turning your monitor off when your not using it) is best for the computer...what's a few more bucks for electricity in this hobby smile.gif

DJ88
07-09-2002, 09:19 PM
I know a couple of guys who bought for almost nothin old pentium laptops and use those to run eLightMaster <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am doing this. Cal's computer mall has loads. I can set it up to control a few other things. smile.gif

StirCrazy
07-09-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by DJ88:
[QUOTE]I am doing this. Cal's computer mall has loads. I can set it up to control a few other things. smile.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hey Darren how much are you looking at for a basic laptop?

Bill thanks for the reply, I remember that solid state mode on RC and he was going to get back with pic's hmm I should maby e-mail hime and find out how it is comming..

Steve

StirCrazy
07-09-2002, 09:36 PM
here is he thread if anyone is interested in reading about this mod..

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79090&highlight=x10

hey Darren would this mode be hard to do, I need more detailed instructions than they list here but you should be able to figure it out :D

Steve

[ 09 July 2002, 17:48: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

ldzielak
07-10-2002, 03:23 AM
Anyone have to return anything with X10?
I tried to order on the last day via the net. But it would not take my card or something. So I called it in and she said the 15 bucks would be credited after the sales order was entered to the system. On the confirmation I got, this was all true, but they charged me full price on the Firecracker module :mad: :mad:

Lee

Troy F
07-10-2002, 11:58 AM
Lee, I had the same trouble. I'm holding off getting one now until a few things get cleared up.

BC_Grl
07-13-2002, 03:50 PM
Troy- it looks like the "sale" is still on. But in order to get my $15 off, I had to get my voucher first, then place my order. I was able to see my voucher validated before we even entered our Visa card no. The whole cost was $16.04 USD (approx 25.66 CDN).
But, I am not happy about Bill's program needing the computer on all the time. There has to be another way around this than to spend $300 USD for a Solar 1000 to get the same results (or close to it).

bill-e
07-13-2002, 06:21 PM
Jeanna,

You will not find a dynamic timer with all these features which does not need a computer to run. Some, Like the Neptune AquaController have their own computer, but you pay for that.

You cannot do moon light simulation unless you daily compute the moon/rise/set times and it's phase and adjust it accordingly. Same for sunrise/set although you dont have to worry about phase.

If you're satisfied with fixed times, then your cheapest way out is manual timers.

I do not recommend a manual timer for the moon, I think that does more harm than good. You need the moon to vary in duration and intensity and also provide a number of moonless nights.

I agree with Stircrazy, the x10 for wavemaker isnt the best thing...too noisy unless you remote the modules or do the solid state modification. However Soft Start for pumps isnt a big deal, I've been running with 3 maxiJets on a wave timer strip for over 3 years and they are quite and still running well. Even the AquaController doesnt have it. Whatever you buy, dont pay extra for that feature, it's not worth it. eLightMaster does work well with the X10 universal module which is silent and is used to switch a motorized ball valve (which was the actual reason for adding the Wavemaker). That being said, the WaveMaker is an option anyway.

And the leaving the computer on thing, in the long run, your computer will thank you. Most electronics fail from the thermal shock of startup or shutdown. As long as you turn off your monitor I dont think you would notice any change in your electric bill.

I hope you all have fun with your FireCrackers, we'll probably have to wait till next 4th of July for another sale like that one.

StirCrazy
07-14-2002, 04:59 AM
ok, if you guys want a timer system that you can turn the computer off then you should be ordering the "active home" NOT the "firecracker"
Myself I leave my computer running all the time so that isn't a big deal but I also find Bills program a little of a "in the way" inconvenience on my computer and sence I have decided all I want to use X-10 for is my lighting, I have decided to use a different program that is Freeware and set up beautifully for running light or any other specificaly times events.

Also part of my desision for not using Bill's program (besides the $30.00 price tag) is that I purchased a red sea wave maker the otherday along with two more MJ1200's amd I am ipmressed with the currents in my tank now.

Jeanna, what all do you want to do with your firecracker? Bill's program has somee very cool features but for the average person it is overkill, I understand the reason behind the price of it (over 100 hours to develop the algarythems for the sunrise stuff alone) but I will never use thoes features. my actinics come on at 0700, my PC's come on at 0830 , PC's go off at 1930 (7:30 pm) , and my actinic go off at 2100 (9:00pm) I use the palm pad to over ride the computer when I am working on stuff and thats all I need. If I add more lights I get more apliance moduals.

I must also mention that a big part of the reason I got the red sea wave maker was that if I used bills program to controle my power heads I would have a loud ugly "click" everything a power head turned on or off, with 4 powerheads going I would slowly go nuts I think, also with Bill's program and X-10 you do not get the soft start feature for our powerheads.

the program I have been using for two weeks now is called "FireworX" it sits in the task menue beside icq and you don't even notice it is there.

this page will let you look at it and download it if you want. like I said it is freeware so it never expires or anything.
FireworX Page (http://users.ntplx.net/~jpjones/tech/fireworx10.htm#download)

Steve