PDA

View Full Version : Lf a painter to spray my cabinet doors

justincgdick
04-12-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm looking for someone to do a professional quality finish on my mdf panels I'm using to skin my stand. I'm looking for a high gloss lacquer finish or similar. I want it to look almost like glass so rolling the paint won't work well.

Madmak
04-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Try a kitchen cabinet or auto body shop. They can spray the MDF panels to your liking. If the panels and doors are loose and you aren't in a rush the cost should be fair.

sphelps
04-12-2012, 07:57 PM
I'd roll a couple coats of primer on first, then sand it smooth (you don't want to start off spraying MDF as it'll absorb the primer/paint too quickly.) Then spray it with the color of choice. If you really want it to shine use a base & clear coat combination. A couple coats of base then wet sand with 600 followed but a few coats of clear and then buff it to perfection.

That'll be quite a bit of worth though and any paint shop will likely charge a significant figure as well so you might want to check out places like IKEA first as they sell high gloss panels and cabinet doors that might work for you.

fishytime
04-12-2012, 11:55 PM
eeek.....MDF and high moister areas dont mix...... what you save by buying MDF, you spend on painting it properly..... the MDF will have to be primed, sealed (this is the important and expensive step), then sprayed....if you skip the sealer then the doors will just swell and blow apart....

justincgdick
04-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Oh my lord, I would never skip the sealer. No point in the whole project if you skip the sealer. But what else would you make panels from? Any hardwood will warp and isn't nearly as easy to work.

Fishytime, you are a carpenter aren't you? What would you have done? I was gonna seal it and lacquer it. I wasn't trying to cut corners... I want a superior product in the end, knowing very well it would cost me. I don't think the mdf was much cheaper than 3/4" ply anyway.

This is also for a fresh tank and nothing should be able to penetrate the lacquer in the end anyway. I've seen 2398732487234 retail mdf stands that are only covered in a cheap veneer that have never swelled to the point where they needed to be replaced.

Madmak
04-13-2012, 12:40 AM
The sealer and primer coats you could do yourself along with the prep work. A shop might take it easier on you price wise if you did so.

I build almost everything out of MDF and when sealed properly it beats anything else for a paint finish.