PDA

View Full Version : Pump suggestions...

jtbadco
04-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Hey Gang,...I picked up a GFO reactor that I want to run on my reef tank but I need a pump.

The reactor will be running externally and it is approx 4 ft from reactor back up to tank.

I need an external pump that will produce at least 90 Gph at a 4 ft head, preferably something with adjustable flow rate.

Price range is $60-70

Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanx
Blaine

Skimmerking
04-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Blaine why not just tap into your return line with a john guess fitting and power the reactor that way

jtbadco
04-12-2012, 05:27 PM
what return line?

I'm running the reactor as its own closed loop.

I dont have a sump or canister filter

Skimmerking
04-12-2012, 05:36 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok so take a maxi jet 400 and run it with RO line and attach a John guess fitting to it and there you go.

jtbadco
04-12-2012, 06:04 PM
See,...I bought a Maxi-Jet 900. Where the connections attach to the motor is really flimsy. Every time I moved one of the 1/2" lines it would pop the top off. I was worried it would leak.

I was looking at the Mag Drive 250 Supreme but I dont think it has adjustable flow. Does that matter? The reactor is a Two Little Fishies 150 and it has a flow rate adjustment knob on the intake line.

gregzz4
04-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Have a good browse through J&L's pump selection. They list fitting sizes and head pressures.

FYI, Mag drives create heat, even when run externally, and can be a bit noisy. But, they are less likely to leak than, say, a Quiet One run externally.

I don't have any advice for you on other brands the size you need.

fishytime
04-12-2012, 11:11 PM
I would look at the Ehiem compact line of pumps.... very good quality and adjustable......the 1000 or 2000 would probably fit the bill....

jtbadco
04-12-2012, 11:14 PM
I was looking at the Eheim Universal 1048 Water Pump.

Any thoughts??

fishytime
04-12-2012, 11:45 PM
oh!....re-read everything and it sounds like you wanna run the pump externally.....if thats the case then the 1048 would be the one to go with(if you decide to go with an Ehiem)....I dont think the "compacts" are meant for external use....

intarsiabox
04-13-2012, 12:20 AM
preferably something with adjustable flow rate.

Price range is $60-70

For a pump to have adjustable flow it would have to be equipped with a variable frquency drive to control motor speed, they are expensive. Just put a ball valve after the discharge end of any pump you get and adjust the flow that way (very cheap). Never put the valve on the pump's intake side.

jtbadco
04-13-2012, 12:50 AM
There is already a flow regulator valve on the intake of the GFO reactor....do I still need to add a ball valve?

gregzz4
04-13-2012, 01:01 AM
intarsiabox's post meant that the pump speed can be adjusted. This is beneficial as you are not restricting the pump with back-pressure when you partially close a valve between it and the reactor

reefwars
04-13-2012, 01:28 AM
There is already a flow regulator valve on the intake of the GFO reactor....do I still need to add a ball valve?

the valve on the reactor should be fine, works fine for myself. having some sort of regulator is a must because gfo needs to tumble slowly:)

jtbadco
04-13-2012, 01:48 AM
ok,...thanx.

now as far as engineering do I run the pump before the reactor and push the water thru or after the reactor and draw the water thru?

intarsiabox
04-13-2012, 02:14 AM
ok,...thanx.

now as far as engineering do I run the pump before the reactor and push the water thru or after the reactor and draw the water thru?

I would put the pump before the reactor otherwise you may have to prime the pump. Also depending on set up you wouldn't have good control of flow and could starve the pump if was after the reactor.