PDA

View Full Version : What Did I See?

Enigma
04-12-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm driving myself nuts trying to identify something that I briefly had in my forceps two nights ago. Sorry. No photo. I dropped it.

I plucked this thing off of my Kenya Tree. Is was about a 2-3mm. It had a shell that appeared to be white. It had spires. The shell was very close in height and width (it was not long like a pyramid snail shell is . . . it was much shorter). The shell reminded me of a turban snail.

Now. Here's the creepy part. It didn't look like a snail in the shell. What was coming out of the shell looked more like legs. Four of them, in fact. The "legs" (or whatever they were) appeared to be white.

Any ideas (other than a teeny tiny hitch-hiker hermit crab in a baby turban snail shell)?

Snaz
04-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Nudibranch?

subman
04-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Sounds like...

... a teeny tiny hitch-hiker hermit crab in a baby turban snail shell.

sorry couldn't resist, and that's what it does sound like. Really hard with out a pic....so catch it again!

Enigma
04-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Nudibranch?

Wow! There are loads of different Nudibranchs! I'm having a hard time finding a photo of one in a larval state with a shell: a shell that looks like the one I saw, anyway.

Sounds like...

:lol:

I just don't want to overlook something. I'm so new to this, and I have so much to learn. I would hate to find out six months from now that it was something that I needed to aggressively hunt down. Or, maybe there is a non-snail that has a very turbanesque shell?

There is a dwarf white leg crab. I didn't see any claws on this thing, but it was really, really small.

ScubaSteve
04-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Sounds like a hermit crab to me. Nudis don't do shells...