PDA

View Full Version : Blue Damsel reef safe...really ???

janalta
04-12-2012, 03:36 AM
So....on every site I've ever seen, Damsels are always marked as reef safe....and, for the past year, my Blue Damsel has never bothered any of my softies or LPS.
Now, he is trying to demolish my new green Millipora !!!:sad:

Had no idea who was starting to chew on it...the one small arm that broke off was stripped clean and the main coral has several patches missing.....caught him tonight grazing all around the base of it !
This is my first attempt at SPS and it was doing so well !!!!

Anyone else had damsels eat their corals ????

fido19
04-12-2012, 03:40 AM
i have had my damsel pick at corals at times mostly sps just like yours but i learned that if you feed them well enough they tend not to bother it at all
just make sure you are feeding them enough and try to go for a variety
, like for example my damsels were used to mysis but then i started giving them a mix of clams and brine and they laid off all the corals give it a shot and see what happens

janalta
04-13-2012, 03:10 AM
They're fat piggies that get fed plenty...and a variety of foods.
He's definitely not eating out of hunger.

Tried protecting it with a net....little buggar swam right up under it to attack again...then proceeded to bunt net and coral off his rock into the sand.
I moved it to the other side of the tank...thinking maybe it was just because I had glued it onto 'his' rock....went after it again....and has now destroyed about half of it.

SO NOT IMPRESSED !!!!!

reefwars
04-13-2012, 03:20 AM
how long have you had the frag?? sounds like a territory thing, try moving the frag to someone else territory that the damsel doesnt hang around, maybe it will help:)

janalta
04-13-2012, 05:20 AM
Frag's been there for a few weeks.
I moved it to the opposite side of the tank after he knocked it off....and he's still trying to destroy it.