PDA

View Full Version : what is your favourite CUC member?

tt101
04-10-2012, 07:10 AM
who would you say is your favourite clean up crew "CUC" member and why? what are they good at doing? and downsides?. i think this thread will be helpful to people who need a CUC member for a specific job but dont know what to pick or for begginners like myself who see so much different choices but don't know what is best?
thanks

whatcaneyedo
04-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Abalone. They're big and effected film algae eaters for the glass walls of your aquarium. They have a small shell and a large foot so they don't become trapped upside down or get lodged in the rocks. They move quickly and will cover a relatively large area each night. The only downsides are their cost and slightly territorial behaviour. They usually sell for at least $20 and require, in my opinion, 50gal each to keep them from 'head butting' each other... whenever mine cross paths they try to ram each other with their shells until the little one retreats.

Leah
04-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Me

tt101
04-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Me

downsides?:wink:

Bblinks
04-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Abalone. They're big and effected film algae eaters for the glass walls of your aquarium. They have a small shell and a large foot so they don't become trapped upside down or get lodged in the rocks. They move quickly and will cover a relatively large area each night. The only downsides are their cost and slightly territorial behaviour. They usually sell for at least $20 and require, in my opinion, 50gal each to keep them from 'head butting' each other... whenever mine cross paths they try to ram each other with their shells until the little one retreats.

I will have to agree. I have 3 in my 300 and they do a terrific job. I also have 20 small cowries also and they are good also.

toytech
04-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Fighting conch , keeps my sand minty clean .

goldie
04-17-2012, 09:57 PM
what is good for cleaning algae off the rocks, my astrea snails only seem to hang out on the glass

fishytime
04-17-2012, 10:14 PM
what is good for cleaning algae off the rocks, my astrea snails only seem to hang out on the glass

that depends on what kind of algae were talking about and how much?:biggrin:

goldie
04-18-2012, 10:01 PM
I don't know what kind it is... it is thick, slimey and green. This tank is new, been running for about 6 wks, but I don't remember algae like this before.

Enigma
04-18-2012, 10:44 PM
I don't know what kind it is... it is thick, slimey and green. This tank is new, been running for about 6 wks, but I don't remember algae like this before.

Cyano? If so, Mexican Turbo snails will eat it.

Dinoflagellates? I don't think anything eats that. It will kill snails.

I'm pretty sure both of those can be green.

jorjef
04-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Red/pink Serpant sea star did a great job of picking up uneaten Mysis. Brown banded one never touched Mysis does lots of cruising around at night so I would guess detritus. Cowries work well for glass.

Aquaria
04-25-2012, 09:51 AM
I have 2 one is my Mexican turbo snail cuz he is a eating machine and though my pistol shrimp is not a true cuc he is awesome for keeping my sandbed clean. BTW anyone know of any inverts that will eat maidens hair?

Snaz
04-25-2012, 01:56 PM
that depends on what kind of algae were talking about and how much?:biggrin:

This a good algae guide.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2030921&highlight=how+to+know+right+amount+of+chemicals+

fish_gal
05-04-2012, 02:46 AM
+1 for turbo snails.

BlueWorldAquatic
05-04-2012, 02:53 AM
My spider decorator crab.

He loves adding all typs of small zoa/palys on his back, and skydives from the top of the tank at feeding time to get to the sandbed quickly