PDA

View Full Version : Bristle Worms - Good or Bad?

bugaboo433
04-10-2012, 06:03 AM
I got a free 30g salt water tank, and it has alot of bristle worms. Grey color. I've read that they are good scavengers, but I've also read of people who don't want them in their tank. Just wanting to get some opinions of others who have some experience with them.

Thanks!

tt101
04-10-2012, 06:40 AM
from what i understand bristle worms are good for the tank but bad for us because they can get bristles in your hand which are very painful and harder to remove. i personally think they look awful and unnattractive but thats just my opinion. congrats on the new tank

arash53
04-10-2012, 07:04 AM
I also have a lot in my tank, I don't like them . They are harmless when they are small but if you over feed your tank they could grow big. The easiest way to get rid if them is arrow crab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gregzz4
04-10-2012, 07:19 AM
My understanding of bristle-worms is they are all Ok, except for the Fire worms. And, ya, they can irritate you if you get poked.
Have a look here (http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchworms.html) for some good reading

bugaboo433
04-10-2012, 07:29 AM
That is a great site, thanks, but I'm not putting my hand back in the water now without gloves, ha ha! Doesn't help that I watch that show Monsters Inside Me with my son, about parasites/worms that get inside the body!! I also found long really skinny red worms, so thanks for that site, I can read up on them & then make up my mind. I see the Bristleworms come out when I feed the fish, so they are good cleaners, but might just watch how many there are & try to keep their numbers under control.

gregzz4
04-10-2012, 07:45 AM
If I were you, and I had lots of regular bristleworms, I'd leave 'em be as their numbers will diminish as their needs drop.
Use them as a barometer for your tank health.
Good luck !

gregzz4
04-10-2012, 07:50 AM
And to add, I don't mean that when they disappear, your tank is unhealthy ....
All I meant is, when their numbers drop, it'll let you know that your excess nutrients are also dropping