PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead and Wavemakers

fishmanty
04-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Just getting back into the hobby and I'm starting up at a 45gal cube and a 150gal reef. I want to go a little all out and get a wavemaker system on this tank as I never had one back in the day.

I've been looking at the vortechs, hydors, and tunze's, and just can't decide what system I should get, or size really. I want the system to be as quite as possible and I hear the vortechs in wavemaker modes can be quite annoying, not to mention the already high price tag. Tunze's have appealed to me but I have no idea how many I would need to get a good flow going on.

Any tips would be great! I plan to order a bunch of stuff from my local supplier so I want to get a list together before I bother him.

I've also been struggling with deciding on reactors and dosers, so if anyone can show me a link to a good solid, easy to use reactor and doser system, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

DanG
04-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Check out the new coralife wavemakers too. Apparently they've gotten some really solid reviews plus come with a lifetime warranty.

I've got an MP40, but am looking to dump it because it's loud.

whatcaneyedo
04-10-2012, 05:37 PM
I use two Tunze 6105 on a 140gal stock trough for alternating flow back and forth. I'm also a big fan of the Oceans Motions 4 Way if you don't mind using a more energy consuming closed loop pump.

Do you mean fluidized media reactor, calcium reactor, kalkwasser reactor, zeovite reactor or some other kind of reactor?

windcoast reefs
04-10-2012, 07:30 PM
I've got some tunze's and a few koralias and they work great for me. I have never really liked the vortech's. They seem like a ton of extra work, cost and noise.

Reef Supplies
04-10-2012, 09:59 PM
I'd go with Vortech...you can deff. find a setting that will make the noise livable. IMO, the noise is a small price to pay.

Or you can check these out http://www.reefsupplies.ca/canada/category/wavemakers-powerheads/jbj/

thanks

Ray