PDA

View Full Version : Sock or floss

Proteus
04-09-2012, 05:48 PM
I currently have a media box for floss but was wondering if a sock would be better.

I know socks are measured in microns so partial size would be less but is it worth it

Bblinks
04-09-2012, 06:47 PM
As much as I hate cleaning my filter socks I still run them religiously. I am always amazed how much grude gets trapped in the bag.

cuz
04-09-2012, 07:54 PM
I vote to stuff your socks with floss!!! Lol! Don't really!!

reefgirl189
04-09-2012, 08:06 PM
I agree, go for the socks! It's absolutely amazing how much clearer your water is with the socks on. They catch all the little particles and floaties and it makes the water sparkle almost.

I use 200 micron with fantastic results. I agree with BBLinks that cleaning them isn't the funnest job but now that I see the benefit of using them I won't run without them - Unless it's laundry day of course!

asylumdown
04-09-2012, 08:58 PM
It is amazing how much crap they catch. My tank is basically empty, and the socks have already turned grey and clogged up (requiring a run through the machine) just filtering out the cloudiness from unrinsed sand.

Coralgurl
04-09-2012, 08:59 PM
I've just ordered socks, mesh and felt. Currently running without and not happy with the tank....hoping they will help turn things around....

tim the toolman
04-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Socks are the only way to fly I must say. I run 2 x7" socks and they keep my water real shiny.
Ps. For some reason the guy at aquarium central sells 7" socks for 9$ a piece which is way way cheaper than anywhere else I could find.