PDA

View Full Version : Deltec SC 2560 question

asylumdown
04-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Hey guys,

I seem to remember one of you fine folks having this exact skimmer in their tank, but for the life of me I can't remember who. Hopefully either that person, or someone else who knows this line can help.

I set mine up a couple of days ago, and while I absolutely love everything about the way it functions (easiest skimmer in the world to use, in my opinion), I'm finding it to be so loud that I might not be able to keep it. I'm just wondering if that's a unique experience, or if there's something I can do to make it quieter.

I should note that it is sitting on a stand that I made out of pvc and egg crate (the skimmer chamber is 19 inches deep), but it doesn't appear to be rattling. It's the sound of the pump smashing all those bubbles that seems to be really loud. It's actually louder than the bathroom ceiling fan I have above my tank that I haven't been running because it was already unacceptably loud. Even with the doors to the cabinet closed, you can hear the skimmer all the way across the dining room in the kitchen.

Am I hooped?

Skimmerking
04-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Last light Brett.

Skimmerking
04-09-2012, 05:58 PM
What you can do I had the same problem with my deltec 702 and what I did was get 2 John guess fittings and take depending on how many pumps you have for the skimmer and use RO line and attach it to the air line and take the John guess fittings and insert them into the air holes on your collection cup lid and then hook up the line to that this will quiet the slimmer down 90 % I promise ya look at this pic

Hth

lastlight
04-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Mike I have the TC... totally different beasts =) For what it's worth mine is pretty quiet. Not as quiet as a BK but the pump is even more efficient. These skimmers (as well as any others) would benefit from the silicone feet the BKs employ.

asylumdown
04-09-2012, 06:45 PM
What you can do I had the same problem with my deltec 702 and what I did was get 2 John guess fittings and take depending on how many pumps you have for the skimmer and use RO line and attach it to the air line and take the John guess fittings and insert them into the air holes on your collection cup lid and then hook up the line to that this will quiet the slimmer down 90 % I promise ya look at this pic

Hth

The pic didn't come through, can you re-post? This skimmer has one pump, which is inside the body of the skimmer. Would that still work?

Mike I have the TC... totally different beasts =) For what it's worth mine is pretty quiet. Not as quiet as a BK but the pump is even more efficient. These skimmers (as well as any others) would benefit from the silicone feet the BKs employ.

Yah I think I might add some silicone tabs, but I've tried running the skimmer in a smaller tank right on the glass, and holding the skimmer so that the body of it isn't touching anything and it doesn't make it any quieter, the noise is definitely coming from the pump. I've also noticed that there are air bubbles escaping from the face of the pump, and collecting underneath the skimmer's reaction chamber until they escape through the hole the power cord goes through. I tried re-seating the venturi pipe, which helped, but didn't stop it completely. I found a post on an Irish reefing forum from 2009 which sounded really similar, but the poster didn't go in to details about the fix, just that it was because the venturi wasn't installed properly. He said that once it was fixed, the skimmer was nearly silent, and everyone else I've seen posting about this skimmer talks about it being on the quiet side when it's set up right, so the fact that it sounds like I've left a blowdryer on in the next room when I'm in my kitchen doesn't seem right.

On the flip side, I love everything else about this skimmer. I've never seen one that's this easy to control, or is so utterly stable once you set it. If I can solve the noise issue, I'll likely never part with this thing.

I've got an e-mail in to Deltec USA, and the Canadian distributor for Deltec to see if they can help walk me through whatever the Irish guy did to fix his.

subman
04-09-2012, 11:18 PM
tagging along was thinking of switching from bk180 to this exact model. The noise is not something I expected especially coming from a bk that is dead silent.

Skimmerking
04-09-2012, 11:48 PM
I didn't post it yet still trying to find it. It basically just add a piece of RO line to your air line and put the end of your RO line after its connected to the airline. Run that into the collection cup lid

Proteus
04-10-2012, 03:11 AM
tagging along was thinking of switching from bk180 to this exact model.

WHAAAAAAT. HEHE

The Grizz
04-10-2012, 03:20 AM
The pic didn't come through, can you re-post? This skimmer has one pump, which is inside the body of the skimmer. Would that still work?

I didn't post it yet still trying to find it. It basically just add a piece of RO line to your air line and put the end of your RO line after its connected to the airline. Run that into the collection cup lid

Here ya go Mike
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/165%20gal%20tank%20build/9fe7ab43.jpg

subman
04-10-2012, 03:36 AM
That's a lot different than the one I'm looking at see here:
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=dd-ps2560i

(shut it Nick lol...just thinking about it! I love bubblekings still)

fishytime
04-10-2012, 03:39 AM
*whispers*shudda bought a BK:razz::mrgreen::razz::mrgreen:

asylumdown
04-10-2012, 05:03 AM

Here ya go Mike
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/165%20gal%20tank%20build/9fe7ab43.jpg

So does that essentially mean that the air that's getting drawn in to the skimmer is coming from to collection cup? what happens if the collection cup fills up?

asylumdown
04-10-2012, 05:06 AM
*whispers*shudda bought a BK:razz::mrgreen::razz::mrgreen:

Hush you. I'm sure I will get it working perfectly. besides, I happen to LIKE pouring gallons of salt water on my floor each time I have to remove a piece of equipment to fix something that's wrong with it. It reminds me of the beach.

The Grizz
04-10-2012, 05:14 AM
So does that essentially mean that the air that's getting drawn in to the skimmer is coming from to collection cup? what happens if the collection cup fills up?

There are 4 other holes in the lid that draws in air as well. I don't know what happens if it gets full as I also have a Davie Jones locker that holds over a liter of skimmer poo. :lol:

Mike what happens if the cup gets full dude?

asylumdown
04-10-2012, 05:21 AM
hmmm, I do have the ability to pipe my skimmer waste directly in to a sewer drain, so maybe I won't have to worry about it filling up.

And this is just to silence the air coming in to the intake? I'll try it and see if it helps. I'm also going to disassemble the whole thing and make sure the pump and venturi pipe are put together right.

This skimmer cost more than my first car (which was arguably not such an awesome car, but it did drive most of the time), so it best do as it's told in fairly short order.

Skimmerking
04-10-2012, 03:25 PM
When the ski
Met gets full it shuts down pretty much it will only suck so much air it's pretty cool

asylumdown
04-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Hah, I'm an idiot. I posted this in my build thread completely forgetting that I had started a whole other thread just for this problem. The more educated I get, the stupider I become.

I finally had the time to take my skimmer apart last night, and I found at least part of the problem:
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g411/asylumdown/e6d0bf9c.jpg

That long hairline crack down the intake of the pump is why there's bubbles escaping under the body of the skimmer chamber, and I bet it's got something to do with the noise.

I e-mailed the Canadian distributor for Deltec and Deltec Spare Parts USA last night and they both got back to me this morning. There should be a new intake manifold on it's way to me right now, and they will trouble shoot the rest of it with me if that doesn't solve the problem.

asylumdown
04-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Just thought I'd keep this updated for posterity's sake -

This weekend the Deltec folks sent me the tracking number for the replacement piece. I should have it in a couple of days. I'm very impressed with the response, and they're goin to help me resolve any noise issues it doesn't fix once I've installed it.