PDA

View Full Version : Dilema!!

ruck'n'reefer
03-13-2004, 04:15 AM
I would like to remove a pvc reducer fitting from an existing cemented pumbing setup (actually a skimmer). Has anyone tried, or does anyone know if this can be done?

If so, any thoughts on how to do this. It is a 2"-1 1/2" reducer.

The main reason for this is that I have an unused 2" ball valve I would like to use and not have to buy a 1 1/2 valve.

Thanx

DiscusZ
03-13-2004, 02:59 PM
If you have enough room to cut it off, and glue the other one one, then your fine. You can not "remove" with out cutting. When gluing PVC both PVC peices are fused together, and if done right will break above the glued area with force.

Skimmerking
03-13-2004, 03:50 PM
actually it can be done if ya do it right . Not trying to bast ya here dis. :mrgreen:
What i did was heated the pipe very slow with a heat gun and used a screw driver to take it apart ,but you have to take your time.

Trust me when you ahve to save your plumbing so to money issues you learn how to save your plumbing.

Mike

JimE
03-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Yes. it can be done - requires some skill, luck, and patience. A bushing will be more of a challenge because of the thick wall. I haven't had a lot of sucess with heat (I usually burn the crap out of the fitting). Two other ways you can go.

Cut the bushing off flush with the top of the fitting. Take a hacksaw blade and cut thru the inside of the bushing just to the fitting in about 8-10 spots. (if you used purple primer like you should have, its easy to tell when you're deep enough. If you didn't use primer. its harder to tell the right depth, but the bushing will come out easier ) Drive a skinny blade down the glue joint to chip the pieces out - be careful not to pry back and break the fitting. A hose clamp around the outside can help prevent that.

Other method is a 2 3/8" hole saw and hog out the bushing. You'll need to plug the bushing so you have a center for the pilot drill. This works well, just be careful to go slow as the friction heat from the bit can melt the fitting you're trying to save. Use primer and lots of glue afterwards. If the fitting ends up looking really ugly, epoxy will save almost anything.

I do lots of these kind of repairs and the secret is to go slow and take your time. Good luck & HTH.

Jim