PDA

View Full Version : Lps colour change?

TaioneReefer
04-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Hey guys,

So.. recently about 2 months ago. I bought a couple frags of hammer, and they were Bright bright neon green. really beautiful.

but I ve started to notice that their colour is starting to fade. not as green. almost turning Brown under white light, where as it used to keep glowing in green.

same thing is happening with my neon candy cane coral. its just not as bright green anymore. it used to glow in the corner. now its not as noticeable.

but the thing is, their growing like crazy. their getting really big in size. so i dont think i m doing anything wrong taking care of them.. :lol:

Reef Supplies
04-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Hi, what are your phosphate and Nitrate readings? Also, what type of light, how old are your bulbs?

Aquattro
04-08-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm going to guess your nutrients are too high...maybe bulbs are lacking a bit too..

TaioneReefer
04-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Hi, what are your phosphate and Nitrate readings? Also, what type of light, how old are your bulbs?

I'm going to guess your nutrients are too high...maybe bulbs are lacking a bit too..

the bulbs shouldnt be the problem, as their 3 months old. the whole fixture is 3 months old. (6 bulb T5)

but i will have to check my phosphate and nitrate readings. i will do that today.

and do the lps colour go back to original? or are they doomed like this? :sad:

reefwars
04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
the bulbs shouldnt be the problem, as their 3 months old. the whole fixture is 3 months old. (6 bulb T5)

but i will have to check my phosphate and nitrate readings. i will do that today.

and do the lps colour go back to original? or are they doomed like this? :sad:

they can live although without the right pamaters they wont grow, they wont color up and the possibility of mortality is shot very high.coral dying can also cause problems for other corals near by depending on the corals

reefwars
04-08-2012, 08:58 PM
even though your lights maybe fine its important to make sure the corals are placed in a place where they will recieve the light needed or not needed plus flow. if the corals are getting stung by other corals they can lose color and die off as well.

TaioneReefer
04-08-2012, 09:23 PM
their actually growing really fast, thats why I thought i wasnt doing anything wrong. but the colour is slowly fading away.

as for getting stung is not a problem , because i place them pretty well apart.

reefwars
04-08-2012, 09:27 PM
their actually growing really fast, thats why I thought i wasnt doing anything wrong. but the colour is slowly fading away.

i would def look into the phosphates, whats your tank info??

reefwars
04-08-2012, 09:29 PM

how long have you had them?? because of differences in bulb kelvin they may look a different colour in your tank then someone elses.

TaioneReefer
04-08-2012, 09:42 PM
how long have you had them?? because of differences in bulb kelvin they may look a different colour in your tank then someone elses.

i will have to get back to you guys after i check my water parameter.

and the lps have been in my tank for 3 months