PDA

View Full Version : The Adventures of Lemon and Rat the Mantis shrimp

Corbin
04-08-2012, 03:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCfEKMEDs3M

Lol just recorded this, mantis shrimp is checking out the new clown fish that my friend gave me after his tank mates tried to kill him...

Dont worry the mantis shrimp is friendly :wink:

paddyob
04-08-2012, 04:22 AM
That clown has a dismal looking future.

Cheaper foods are out there.

Corbin
04-08-2012, 04:24 AM
That clown has a dismal looking future.

Cheaper foods are out there.

hehe, the mantis has never ate a fish before ive had it for like 4 months.
so i think it'll be okay.

gregzz4
04-08-2012, 04:32 AM
Are you just trying to keep them both exercising?
All I see is a stressed-out clown :sad: and the potential for ich or something worse.
Not my first choice for tank-mates in a nano.
Good luck with your 'experiment'
( poor clown )

Corbin
04-08-2012, 04:38 AM
Are you just trying to keep them both exercising?
All I see is a stressed-out clown :sad: and the potential for ich or something worse.
Not my first choice for tank-mates in a nano.
Good luck with your 'experiment'
( poor clown )

The clown is stressed out because of the pair of clowns my friend had that tried to kill it, its fins were already wreck from when he bought it at the store i was with him then.

He was gonna flush it when his gf said give it to me so i took it, better then living in the septic tank right? lol.

who said anything about a experiment? its the mantis tank - clown will either live from its fight before it came to me or become dinner for bristle worms lol

RuGlu6
04-08-2012, 05:36 AM
I think you might have more laughs if you post it on face book or twitter.
Everyone on this forum knows that mantis will kill and eat the clown.

If you really would want to help this fish you wouldn’t keep these two together.
This is irresponsible, higher species with evolved consciences do not behave like that.
Would you keep a cat and a mouse in one enclosure? Or dog and a cat?

Corbin
04-08-2012, 06:04 AM
you really think 1 i care... food is food, nature is nature, and i have kept this mantis in my display tank before i shut it down for almost the entire time i had it and never once did a fish die.

if i was really worried about it dying it wouldnt be in there, and if it does die it aint hurting anyone. it was gonna die either way. just like me and you are too.

the video wasnt posted for lawls, it has never mad an attempt at the fish once, in the video it was going after the krill cuz it knows it eat when it sees the tweezers

Corbin
04-08-2012, 06:09 AM
honestly, if you think this is bad dont make me post videos on youtube of people feeding mice to pirhanas etc.. and i dont think thats bad... its the sadistic ways of nature, animals dont hug.

funny thing to if this was a puffer eating a mantis shrimp people would laugh.

i dont know why you guys are crying, there is no harm happening to anything in the video.

reefwars
04-08-2012, 06:15 AM
oh man and to think i almost went out tonight....:drinking:......:pop2:

ps..................:nono:

reefwars
04-08-2012, 06:16 AM
if you think this is bad dont make me post videos on youtube of people feeding mice to pirhanas etc..

voices???

Corbin
04-08-2012, 06:23 AM
voices???

in your head?

reefwars
04-08-2012, 06:29 AM
in your head?

:tinfoil3:

Corbin
04-08-2012, 06:35 AM

you should get that checked out, what are they telling you?

reefwars
04-08-2012, 06:45 AM
you should get that checked out, what are they telling you?

who??

gregzz4
04-08-2012, 06:55 AM
oh man and to think i almost went out tonight....:drinking:......:pop2:

ps..................:nono:
Ya, good thing I bought lots of beer today :mrgreen:
And the wife stoved-up some pizza
Glad I have my build to entertain me between these posts

gregzz4
04-08-2012, 06:57 AM
So, Corbin, have you thought about sellin'/givin' away that clown to someone who may love it's stellar colors?

gregzz4
04-08-2012, 07:08 AM
"Are you ever going to settle down again?" asks GregZZ4
"How are you going to find a new Misses to love the Reef if you keep shuffling about as you are?" Says the Londoner
"I'm looking for a new wife all over the world", says reefwars, "someone who can't be scanned would be nice, or at least likes tinfoil hats."

Corbin
04-08-2012, 07:27 AM
So, Corbin, have you thought about sellin'/givin' away that clown to someone who may love it's stellar colors?

No i havnt, but just for the sake that i refuse to ever catch fish once they're in a tank filled with minimal clearance of sps branchs.

if the mantis wanted to kill it, it wouldnt take food from me and it would still be looking at it.

though maybe i can be bribed into wasting time.

gregzz4
04-08-2012, 07:34 AM
I hope your new clown thrives in your tank.
Who knows, maybe it'll eat your mantis :mrgreen:
Post us some pics in the next weeks of your tank.

BTW, I meant to mention that your mantis is a color I've never seen b4.
Just noting that it's kinda grey/pale?
I haven't kept 'em so can't say much about it. Not being critical, just saying it may need other foods?

Corbin
04-08-2012, 07:53 AM
no, this is its normal colors, it is a green/yellow, with white speckled strips on its back/sides, it is a slasher. it was recorded on my cellphone :P
there is another one in there only about a inch or 2 big that is a peacock smasher but he never ever leaves his whole. evvvvvvvver. its annoying actually.

Yeah hopefully it does, ill post some nice pics of it if i ever buy batters for my camera

gregzz4
04-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Well, it'll be nice to see some great pics of your Mantis', but I still think you should sell/give away your clown :smile:

paddyob
04-08-2012, 12:51 PM
It sure Looked like the mantis took a swipe at the clown in the video....

MarkoD
04-08-2012, 03:10 PM
i think it would be funnier if someone dropped you into a cage with a lion or tiger.

misty s
04-08-2012, 04:15 PM
i think it would be funnier if someone dropped you into a cage with a lion or tiger.

+1

Corbin
04-08-2012, 05:38 PM
well set it up and ill be there, see you guys do have the sick humor i have! yay!

daniella3d
07-01-2012, 01:03 AM
Really? doesn't that depend if it is a smasher or a spearer? Mine has been living with fish for more than 6 months and never killed anything. It is even with 2 blue legged hermit crab and a cleaner shrimp and did not kill them.

I first had it with a dottyback and once I sold the dottyback the mantis took its cave and now it's been living with 2 clownfish and 1 leopard wrasse for 2 months. It's only 15 gallons and the leopard wrasse is going in my 75 tank soon.

The mantis I have is about 3" and it's a smasher. It bearely come out of its cave.

When I think that the leopard wrasse burry itself in the sand each night, it is amazing that the mantis has not bother it in 2 months, but it does not. I feed the mantis well.

I would not put fish with larger mantis, but I guess it also depend on the specie.

BTW, silly comment as I ALWAYS had cats and dogs living together in perfect harmony, still do.

If you really would want to help this fish you wouldn’t keep these two together.
This is irresponsible, higher species with evolved consciences do not behave like that.

Proteus
07-01-2012, 03:35 AM
Hey for once it's not Marko being crucified.

You know what I think. " what ever". Maybe all those people with nems should take all the fish out of there tanks to. Lol

FitoPharmer
07-02-2012, 02:45 AM

1:Cat & bird (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFyI1cjsuGU)
Irresponsible?.... Maybe. Cute? .... Absolutely!

2: Is creating a bristle worm or aiptasia holocaust another thing higher consciences do not do?

PFoster
07-02-2012, 06:20 PM
I have kept mantis shrimp for several years. This mantis looks very similar to the one I had on my kitchen counter for a couple years. They stay small in size, are rather drab in color (compared to other mantis) and honestly are not very aggressive at all..... well not towards fish.

I added a tomato clownfish to my mantis tank as I just couldnt find anyone to take the thing for free..... ended up having to take the tank apart to get the clown out!

The peacock mantis shrimp will not be docile forever though. Once he gets bigger I would be very surprised if he doesnt kill the clown... or the other mantis shrimp for that matter.