PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a nano skimmer for my 20g QT

gregzz4
04-08-2012, 01:26 AM
Hopefully this thing will be worth every penny and I'll never have to wish I hadn't spent so much on it

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Build/DSC00908.jpg

chandigz
04-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Looks like a surface skimmed attachment for a aquaclear. Totally different then a protein skimmer if that's what you were after.

gregzz4
04-08-2012, 01:37 AM
Hopefully the rest of the viewers don't take this seriously :mrgreen:
After all, I didn't use the word 'protein'

subman
04-08-2012, 01:47 AM
looks like a winner! Gotta watch the skimmate it tends to flow like water out of them!

gregzz4
04-08-2012, 02:03 AM
At least I won't have to clean out the collection cup much :wink:

Now I'm wishing I had previously replied with;
'So, are you telling me this thing won't do the job?'

Casey8
04-08-2012, 02:26 AM
Geezz ... you got me Greg ! I was thinking what the heck is that a nano skimmer you were talking about that I have never seen in my life ... until you said you didn't use the word "protein" :smile::razz:

gregzz4
04-08-2012, 02:37 AM
Ok, honestly now, I bought it thinking it would help keep the surface from becoming dusty and maybe will help filter any serious ammonia bubbles.
If it doesn't work, it was only $15, and it does extend the filter inlet.
So I figured, what the hell, let's see how much pain I can cause myself as the tank level fluctuates :lol:
Guess I'm a sucker for testing junk

tim the toolman
04-08-2012, 03:17 AM
They are actually not that bad. They really do a job in keeping the surface clean and you shuldnt have to much to worry about as far as the water line fluctuating. If you set the neck high enough you can easily get away with about a one inch drop in water line without any issues since it just floats and bobs.
Ran one for over a year on my 25g office tank hooked od to a canister and i loved it

gregzz4
04-08-2012, 03:30 AM
If you set the neck high enough you can easily get away with about a one inch drop in water line without any issues since it just floats and bobs.
Thanks for that. I haven't filled the tank yet but that's something I wasn't aware of. Makes sense now that I remember the strainer being loose.
Think I'll lower the suction cups a tad

tim the toolman
04-08-2012, 03:34 AM
Yep. And you just gotta twist the center pin to adjust based on the suction of the filter you run it on. The lower you thread it the more it draws from the top and if it is pulling the cup underwatermyou just turn it back until the skimmer floats and your good. As im sure you noticed it also draws from the bottom which is where the extra pull from the filter is directed as you adjust you top floater.

chandigz
04-08-2012, 04:09 AM
I've used on in a FW tank. Worked great except when plants got stuck in it and the top would Bob up and down. Oh ya flake food disappears pretty quick too. It should do the trick for your needs.

gregzz4
04-08-2012, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.

I posted this with the intention of giving folks some giggles. Now it's just a disappointing journey through the use of the part.

gregzz4
04-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Can we try to continue the giggles?

gregzz4
04-08-2012, 09:29 AM
This skimmer is the best thing I have ever used ....
OK, nevermind, the joke is dead