PDA

View Full Version : Cowfish and Boxfish at Big Als

Jim Barry
03-13-2004, 12:37 AM
Big Als in Calgary have a very tiny cowfish and boxfish. I was thinking of buying one of them but I am not sure they are reef friendly. I heard that they emit a toxic substance when stressed that can wipe out your whole tank.

Also... how big do they grow and are they compatable with tangs, wrasses and clownfish.

Thank,

Jim :confused:

UnderWorldAquatics
03-13-2004, 01:04 AM
All 3 types of fish you mentioned would possibly pick at, or generally bother the cowfish and or boxfish, as well as out compete them for food.

bulletsworld
03-13-2004, 05:40 PM
It really depends on the kinda cowfish you were looking at and the kinda tangs and wrasses you have.

The long horn cowfish (Little poppcorn yellow) can get pretty big like 10inchs & there horns grow long in front & back. The helmet cowfish (shell over body) or other name is called the camelback can remain small. (up to 6ichs) Mine is 3.

Also what size tank do you have? Another thing is do you have alot of powerhead flow in your tank. Since the cowfish/boxfish are not good or fast swimmers.

I have had a helmit cowfish for almost a year with my bully yellow tang for quiet some time. 80gal tank. Besides those two there is only the lawnmover blennie & a mandarin in the tank. Quiet you can say. With feeding I feed on seperate ends of tank. Cowfish are really personable fish and love all your attention. Will watch what your doing its really neat. They will eye your shrimps and crabs. Perhaps if they grow up with them they will leave them alone but when older may eat them. Or try.

Wrasses I have never had & have said to bother the cowfish although it depends on what kind. Cowfish likes to be a loner and is more interested with what your doing then the other tankmates. Generally I have found that if your tank is non aggressive & lots of room for the cowfish/boxfish then you will be o.k.

check out this website www.cowfishes.com