PDA

View Full Version : Suction cups for moving large tank?

NorthernCoral
04-07-2012, 08:19 AM
I am going to be moving a large tank here in the next little bit into my house (265g) and am wondering about the suction cup handles that everyone uses to move glass/ large aquariums. Where do you get them? How much do they cost? Just want to be 100 percent I am using the right product as there is alot of time/money on the line when moving a tank and I would hate to **** it up!

Reef Pilot
04-07-2012, 02:13 PM
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8136632/Dent-Repair-Tools/Triple-Head-4-1/2-in.-Suction-Cup
I just bought a pair of these on sale for 5.99. They have 3 large suction cups per handle, so look to be pretty sturdy. I could have used them a couple months ago, when I moved a large tank. But at least I have them now for next time.

subman
04-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Check with some of the tool rental places. They sometimes have some for rent.

I just moved a 225g into my basement and the cups are a life saver!

(I was on my way to get the ones at princess auto and a friend told my they had one slip off while moving his 225g. Just a heads up)

fishytime
04-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Check with some of the tool rental places. They sometimes have some for rent.

(I was on my way to get the ones at princess auto and a friend told my they had one slip off while moving his 225g. Just a heads up)

+1......I wouldnt trust the PA ones one a tank that size....the good ones are expensive, so rent or borrow some....

tim the toolman
04-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Go to your local glass/window shop and offer one of the lakies a couple bucks to borrow some. I work for a window company and we have several and all good quality. Basically if the cups just have a flip lever to grab they are not very good quality. A good cup should have a pump shaft out the side and a separate release valve. That style can independently hold over 400 lbs per cup.