PDA

View Full Version : How long before clowns will Breed?

eternitybc
04-07-2012, 02:28 AM
We have 2 clowns in our 55 gallon corner. The female is 2.5 years approx, the male we added Feb 2011 (over a year ago). They paired up immediately (after the previous male passed).

But, no eggs! Ever! They are hosting a corner of the tank(used to be the mag float, we learned to just leave it there) and keep the bottom clean of sand, and have done this for the last year. They are fed daily, clean water parameters, etc... is there anything I can do to speed the process?

I just discovered there's a book called clownfish by Joyce Wilkerson which I will be purchasing at the first opportunity, but if anyone has tips I would appreciate it. Such as...adding a clay flower pot to their area.

Since the glass corner is so exposed, will this make them feel safer? I probably put my hands in the tank twice a month to do cleaning/maintenance/move corals, which agitates the female... I'll definitely stop this, if it's an issue.

Forgot to add- they're tank bred false percs!

russp
04-07-2012, 02:09 PM
i have had my false percs for nearly 3 years & all of a sudden 2 weeks ago they laid eggs & the 2nd batch is probably going to hatch tonight . I am going to find some phyto & rotifers & set up a hatch tank soon & try my luck . I have no idea why they started now , I moved a year ago & have been fighting high nitrates until recently . they are laying the eggs on the silicone in there back corner of the tank , i assume they will start when they are ready.

fishytime
04-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Ive heard of people having clown pairs for years and they never lay eggs.....I dont think there is anything really that you can do.... some pairs lay eggs, some dont....

e46er
04-07-2012, 04:08 PM
after 2 years or so mine laid a few batch of eggs around 6 or so then for some reason just stopped?
nothing changed in the tank to make them start or stop

luck of the draw i guess

Myka
04-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Ive heard of people having clown pairs for years and they never lay eggs.....I dont think there is anything really that you can do.... some pairs lay eggs, some dont....

Yep.

Some factors that start them up or stop them; temp changes, disturbance in the tank, abundance of food, what they consider an appropriate laying area, the list goes on.

saltcreep
04-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Dimming the lights and a little Barry White playing in the background helps.