PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Plumbing Schematic

jgoldsney
03-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Ok here is an early version of my tank plumbing schematic... thoughts any one.

The design has changed a little in that I am no longer using the same stand and canopy so I am making the canopy and the cupbord beside with the fuge the same height.

I am making all of the stands and most likly the canopy out of various sizes of steel tubing.

Well let me know what you think..
Joel

oh yeah the tank says 225 gal but once I re-measured it is actualy 230

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/249Tank-med.jpg?7004

Chin_Lee
03-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Is your your tank overflow draining into the the prop tank? if so, the prop tank should be below (or lower) than your main tank. Or did you mislabel return and overflow?

jgoldsney
03-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Hmmmm no it is not mis labled, I had thought about this but I think that the flow through the prop tank should be able to handle all of the flow from both overflows.

Correct me if I am wrong but the prop tank is just acting like a continuation of the plumbing as what ever flows in flows out. I was looking at putting a 2" bulkhead out of the prop tank so that it could flow freely to the sump.

As an alternative I may only run one overflow through the prop tank.....

Thanks for the feedback

Joel

Note....I just wanted to add that the closed loop suction and return will be connected directly to a mag18 and will not affect the flow through the sump.

I am getting closer to begining this and I want to iron out as many issues as possible before I start :biggrin:

Quinn
03-12-2004, 05:00 PM
The closed loop isn't a closed loop if it flows through the sump first... :razz:

Are you sure you won't have huge problems if you loose power to your pumps?

jgoldsney
03-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Hmmm I am going to have to think some more on this....

I don't think that I will have a problem as there will be baffles in the prop tank to keep it from draining completely, there will be durso/stockman overflows in the tank so only a couple of inches from the overflow should flow out....

On the plus side there is a drain coming through the floor on the far right hand side. I was planing on making the botom of the stand waterproof and allowing it to drain if I have a flood... If I wrecked the carpet my wife would kill me.

Well It looks like I will have to think a little more :confused:

Joel

Oh yeah.....Not sure if you are pulling my chain or not :lol: But the closed loop flow will not affect the flow through the sump as the pump is just sitting in the sump in case of leaks.....the suction comes right from the tank to the suction of the pump and the discharge right back to the tank

Quinn
03-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Can you indicate with arrows the direction of flow for each pipe, and where pumps will be located?

Regarding your closed loop, that makes more sense now. Just a matter of semantics anyway.

jgoldsney
03-12-2004, 05:59 PM
does this help?
Whoops I didn't show the supply for the fuge connected to the return to the tank...that is where it should be connected (the return pump will also supply the fuge)
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/249Tank_Flow-med.jpg?6262

monza
03-12-2004, 06:12 PM
Did you miss a few pumps? Need to supply the fuge and prop tank with pumps by the looks of it? Is the fuge going to gravity feed the main tank? Might be apply to gravity feed the prop tank?

Dave

jgoldsney
03-12-2004, 07:07 PM
The prop tank is gravity fed from the main tank and then gravity feeds to the sump

As I noted on the modified picture the fuge will be supplied from a T off of the return to the tank (the red lines)

Joel

Lofus
03-12-2004, 08:04 PM
So it looks like all the 'filtered' water will be going to the fuge and the main tank and all the "dirty" water will go through your prop tank first. From a water quality point of view would you not want all the "dirty" water flowing to the sump first and then the clean water to the fuge, prop and main tank?

Where are you putting you skimmer?

It also looks like your prop tank will empty into the sump in the even of a power outage. you should make sure the sump has room for all the water from the main tank overflows, piping to the prop tank, prop tank outlet chamber, and piping to the sump. This will be in addition to the return lines to the main tank, fuge, and fuge to main tank.

jgoldsney
03-12-2004, 08:43 PM
There are baffles in the prop tank to keep the water at a certain level (1" from the top even if the power fails.
(Sorry this is not more clear on the drawing)

The skimmer will be in the Sump.....

The more that I think about it the more that I am considering adding a second sump, I have a 20 gal tank from my fresh water days and I am thinking about getting it drilled and placing it beside the other sump to increase the water capacity of my sump.

It could be used to hold misc rubble and rock that is not needed in the tank.

Pisces
03-12-2004, 10:19 PM
May be a silly question.....what's a prop tank :question:

I have a sump, with a fuge built in.....I've had the power go out and everything works great! My tank is not drilled, I have an overflow converter hanging off the back. My skimmer is also in the sump. It's a 130gal tank with a 25gal sump, and it all runs off one pump. The converter is hooked up up a powerhead so it automatically primes itself when the power comes back on. :biggrin:

I'm still fairly new at systems with sumps....but your setup looks a little complicated to me. :eek: Luckily I had a lot of help with mine. :biggrin:

Chin_Lee
03-13-2004, 08:07 PM
I would recommend the following:
1) one of the overflow gravity feed into sump from main tank.
2) second overflow gravity feed into prop tank from main tank
3) gravity feed prop tank to sump
4) one pump from sump into main tank
5) take closed loop pump out of sump so it doesn't contribute anymore heat to water than necessary
6) lower prop tank maybe another .5 to a foot
7) if you lower your fuge so that the return (green line) is more or less the same height as the main tank return (red line) you can triple split your return pump in your sump - two for tank and one for fuge (assuming your return pump has to capacity and ability) if I did it this way, I would also gravity feed (blue line) into my sump or prop tank

This way your sump will be your lowest point and you don't have to worry too much if one equipment fails and causing a flood.

Prop tank I think is your propagation tank correct?

jgoldsney
03-17-2004, 03:15 PM
Hmmm I thought that I replied to this ..... Oh Well

RE 1) & 2)
I have thought about having one of the overflows go directly to the sump, the thing is that I want as much water flow as possible through the prop tank. what would you think about putting a T on the return lines and a valve so that I can direct some flow to the sump and some to the prop tank, this way I could ballance the flow exactly where I want it.

Re 3)

The prop tank already gravity feeds to the sump

Re 4) & 5)

I may move the closed loop pump out of the sump but I would prefer if possible to leave it there as I would like to keep as much plumbing in the sump (in case of leaks)

Re 6)

What would be the benifit of this?

Re 7)

I already plan on feeding the fuge from the main pump and gravety feeding it back to the main tank

Thanks for your input

Joel