PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner shrimp eating my Rock Flower anemone!!!

jtbadco
04-05-2012, 06:05 PM
I found two of my cleaner shrimp chowing down on my nem today!!!

Not sure what I should do. The mouth of the nem is completely ripped open and they are ripping chunks of flesh off it.

Should I get rid of the nem befor it dies? or get rid of the shrimp?

Enigma
04-05-2012, 06:23 PM
I found two of my cleaner shrimp chowing down on my nem today!!!

Not sure what I should do. The mouth of the nem is completely ripped open and they are ripping chunks of flesh off it.

Should I get rid of the nem befor it dies? or get rid of the shrimp?

My impulse would be to get rid of the shrimp. But then, I am hoping to develop very non-predatory and peaceful tanks.

I suppose you need to decide what has more value to you. Do you have a QT tank you could move the nem into while you decide on your course of action?

LeanneP
04-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Make sure you keep your eyes open for ammonia. If the nem begins to die you will have a huge ammonia spike in your tank. If you have another quarentine tank or know someone who does I would take the nem out until you know it isn't going to die. My nem died and through my tank into a huge cycle that killed all my other corals.

Leanne

jorjef
04-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Crush the shrimp....and any crabs you find along the way...:biggrin: They're all Jackals

RuGlu6
04-05-2012, 07:36 PM
If cleaner shrimps are already eating the anemone that may mean that anemone is slowly dying and releasing juices. Start making water changes every 2-3 days. When anemone will detach take it out and smell it, you will know where to put after you smell it, back to the tank or in the toilet.

jtbadco
04-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Well, I have been monitoring the situation. The shrimp seem to be leaving it alone for now. Doesn't seem to be too much damage. If I find them after it again they are going for a FW swim. Jerks

marie
04-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Did you by chance feed the nem in the last 24 hrs?

because shrimp will remove food from the mouths of any coral, which is probably what they were doing with the nem.

jtbadco
04-05-2012, 11:08 PM
I did just feed the nem yesterday and after looking at it again today it looks like there is little or no damage. They may have just been stealing food.

reefwars
04-05-2012, 11:37 PM
a healthy nem should be able to retract if it is being attacked.....shrimp are scavengers and i bet hes out for the free meal from leftover food or anemones expelled waste:P gross actually!!:P

naesco
04-06-2012, 02:24 AM
jorjef ,jtbadco are you guys hobbyists or are you just joking?

jtbadco
04-06-2012, 03:32 AM
I guess I am a hobbyist.
Why?

I was just joking about tossing them in FW. I would sell them...too expensive to toss.

jorjef
04-06-2012, 03:49 AM
jorjef ,jtbadco are you guys hobbyists or are you just joking?

How about you police your tank and I will police mine