PDA

View Full Version : New LED fixture 3w. Green Element EVO Reef LED Light Fixture

RuGlu6
04-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Green Element EVO Reef LED Light Fixture
http://www.aquatraders.com/EVO-48-LED-Reef-Bright-p/56234.htm

This still looks like MarineLand knock off, but now its 3W.
I just spoke to someone the other day and he told me that he had SPS growing under Two marine land fixtures. I know MarinLand is only 1W.

Could this be a good light ?
Any thoughts on this new fixture would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Specs below. Link above.

Fixture Size: 46.50" x 5.00" x 1.00" (Add 0.65" in height with bracket installed)
LEDs Count: 32
4320 Lumens
Super energy efficient 3 watt high output LEDs
24x 10,000K LED
8x Actinic 460nm LED
Use 96 watts

Features:
Best design: slim, light, and yet, contemporary
A three ways toggle on/off switch functions as (1) White/Act. Blue, (2) Off, & (3) Act. Blue as lunar night
Extends up to 51" in length with brackets installed
Individual & replaceable lenses
An external high power transformer

toytech
04-04-2012, 11:31 PM
3 watt leds are much better but with so little blues its going to look very white , ive got 50/50 on blues and whites and i dont run the whites at full and thats just to get a 12k look.

RuGlu6
04-05-2012, 01:27 AM
3 watt leds are much better but with so little blues its going to look very white , ive got 50/50 on blues and whites and i dont run the whites at full and thats just to get a 12k look.
What brand LED you are using, do you have 1W or 3W?
But thank you for pointing this out.
I was going to try their 1W all blue submersible Reef Bright (http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Submersible-p/56222.htm) anyway.
Do you think these 36" LED 3W reef EVO (http://www.aquatraders.com/EVO-36-LED-Reef-Bright-p/56233.htm) + 12x1W Blue submesible (http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Submersible-p/56222.htm)will be enough for SPS dominated 36" tank?

toytech
04-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Mine are diy kits from aquastyle led online , using 3 watt bridgelux leds.I dont think that combo would be best for all all sps tank (depends alot on depth).Not to say that your sps wont grow but i think colors will be crappy.

RuGlu6
04-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Wow LEDs are cheap there! only a few $ too bad i dont know how to build myself. AquaStyleOnline
http://www.aquastyleonline.com/categories/DIY-LED-Lighting/LED/

But anyway,
My tank is standard 65 Gal 36"Lx18"W x24" deep.
I was thinking about getting the above combo to wait out the summer heat.

How many LEDs do you have total ? is your tank 48"W x 24" deep?
How is your SPS color say after 6 month after with the LED's?

RuGlu6
04-10-2012, 03:57 AM
ttt

chris88
04-16-2012, 03:15 PM
i was looking into these as well for supplemental lighting. i would love to know more about them but there is nothing out there yet. If anyone knows where there is a video or some pics of it in action i would love to see it. i think i am going to order one and if its decent quality ill grab another.

RuGlu6
04-17-2012, 05:24 AM
i was looking into these as well for supplemental lighting. i would love to know more about them but there is nothing out there yet. If anyone knows where there is a video or some pics of it in action i would love to see it. i think i am going to order one and if its decent quality ill grab another.

Well same here not enough info.
But price is good and i don't care if they are not dimmable or controllable...
I am not a big fan of fancy $900 controllers, to me they are just fancy glorified timers that's what they are.
These new led lights are now 3W and individual lenses are replaceable. I personally spoke to someone who had SPS growing under old Marineland 1W x2 fixtures.
So with these 3W we have much better chance.
More so now we hear about SPS being bleached under LED's because there is too much light. Honestly i would like to know what is the difference between one 3W LED and the other?
Can anyone chime in?
Other then fancy features (ipad control etc) is there really a difference?
Why do we need Green and Red LED? what are these for? We newer had these colors before. All we had was MH DE or SE and some actinics, now we are being drawn in to something else... doesn't seem to ever stop.
So why spend $2K+ if i can pay ~$320 and have two fixtures with 3W LED?
I would really want to know.

chris88
04-17-2012, 02:50 PM
I had been in contact with aqua traders and they haven't been very helpful. Thê said the product was to new so they do not have much feed back on them yet. They couldn't even tell me what LEDs they were using or the type of optics. I also asked if the bulbs or optics were replaceable or removable and the person I was speaking with didn't know.

If the LEDs are decent quality then the light output and par will be very good for the price. The color is a bit to white but it will have a nice shimmer.

Red and green LEDs are helpful but not essential. They help full the narrow spectrum the white LEDs have. They also help with the visual look of the corals and are usually used to mimic the look of Mh bulbs.

I think I am goig to bite the bullet and try one of them out. It's cheap enough that if they suck I won't be to ****ed.

If anyone else has any more info on these please chime in.

arash53
04-17-2012, 04:43 PM
I bought their 1W version for my nano-cube 29 gallon and I did not like it.
It only covered right under the fixture and the color them was pretty yellow.

Charles at CANADIAN AQUATICS import their products . will ask him if he already ordered this one and I could see it.

RuGlu6
04-17-2012, 05:07 PM
I bought their 1W version for my nano-cube 29 gallon and I did not like it.
It only covered right under the fixture and the color them was pretty yellow.

Charles at CANADIAN AQUATICS import their products . will ask him if he already ordered this one and I could see it.

Thank you for sharing your experience, this is good info.

Retailers usually have minimal knowledge about products unless they set up a tank and use it.
So, our collective advantage is that we can share our experience on here.

If this looked yellow did you supplement with blue LED or actinics?
So what happened did you keep this 1W fixture?
What kind of corals do you have under it?
How long did you have it for?
How did the corals do under these lights?

Thanks in advance.

chris88
04-17-2012, 05:16 PM
That why I asked if the LEDs and optics are replaceable. This way you an adjust the spread and color.

RuGlu6
04-17-2012, 05:24 PM
That why I asked if the LEDs and optics are replaceable. This way you an adjust the spread and color.
I wonder why the person you spoke to said that lenses are not replaceable , because in item description it is stated:"Individual & replaceable lenses"
I would like to know what that means exactly as well.

arash53
04-17-2012, 05:25 PM
If this looked yellow did you supplement with blue LED or actinics?
Yes I did add one T5 actinic and a BLUE LED strip, but my problem was coverage ,I have to buy another one to cover my tank

So what happened did you keep this 1W fixture?
I sold it for 20% less
What kind of corals do you have under it?
on That time I only had softies and they were doing OK under the fixture
How long did you have it for?
I had it for 3weeks and I sold it and bought 4x18W T5 version from aquatraders
How did the corals do under these lights?
it was good for softies on my tank (18"x18"x18"),but again my problem was coverage

The other thing I have to mention, is it didn't have separate switch for blue only so you cant really use two timer one for blue one for white which is not good !

chris88
04-17-2012, 06:58 PM
This new fixture has a switch for both the blue and the whites but only one cord so you have ro manually turn them on / off. They are going to be way brighter the the 1 w version of they use 3 watz LEDs and optics. Depend on the optics it could have very good spread or very deep penetration.

arash53
04-17-2012, 07:02 PM
The old one also had 3 mode switch for turn on white and blue , blue only and off, but as you said only one cable so no way you could put diffident timer for blue and white separably which is a big deal for me.

RuGlu6
04-18-2012, 03:24 PM
The old one also had 3 mode switch for turn on white and blue , blue only and off, but as you said only one cable so no way you could put diffident timer for blue and white separably which is a big deal for me.

You can have these blue ones (http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Submersible-p/56221.htm) on a separate timer if you like to have dask/dawn effect.

or just get one or two moon lights (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=ep-led034)from J&L and put them on separate timer.

arash53
04-18-2012, 04:46 PM
You can have these blue ones (http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Submersible-p/56221.htm) on a separate timer if you like to have dask/dawn effect.

or just get one or two moon lights (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=ep-led034)from J&L and put them on separate timer.

The Blue LEDs on the fixture were awesome really powerful on the 1W ver, and it should be even better on this one ,too bad they saved couple dollars on a separate or multi input power adapters!

I personally prefer to have all in one solution and in my opinion on this fixture two things are missing:

1- Separate cable for Blue LEDs
2- small LEDs for moon light

I am fan of aquatrader ,currently both my fixture are from them,and I think they really improved and I think all the bad reviews on the website about their product are no valid any more, and I am pretty sure they will redesign this fixture like others with separate switch and cables.

RuGlu6
04-18-2012, 07:32 PM
yeah same here, i have two ligt fixtures from them:
One is LED for Fresh water cube (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82467&highlight=cube+led), it is only 2W for the WHOLE fixture and my FW plants are doing amazing! And color is very good, very happy overall.
Second is 2x250W MH DE +4 T5 actinics +6 blue LED (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=76196).
And both fixture are of good value.
The only thing with Aquatraders is that they have Ebay like warranty, 30 days only.

The only thing i am still wondering about is what is the difference between aquatraders 3W LED and say CREE or AI sol etc. other then fancy controls?

RuGlu6
04-24-2012, 08:12 PM
OK here is an update, someone posted a review on aquatraders web site:

http://www.aquatraders.com/EVO-36-LED-Reef-Bright-p/56233.htm

Sorry to be bearer of bad news April 24, 2012
Reviewer: Trevor from Chandler, AZ United States
I guess I am the first to do this review. It arrived last night. I set it up. The lighting last a nice glow to all of the corals.
LIKE: Nice glow to it
DISLIKE: Each bulb casted a direct beam straight down to the bottom, thus, from a distance, one can see where the blues are and where the reds are.

Unfortunately, four of the bulbs did not light up. I called customer service this morning and was told that there's no warranty. I need to ship it back at my own expense and they will try to fix it for me.

I don't know why this person did not use Aquatraders own policy see below, if there were problems on arrival. they say that within 48 hrs if there is a problem they can fix it. May be it was past 48 hrs.

http://www.aquatraders.com/Returns.asp
Here it is

Damaged Shipment, Incorrectly Shipped Item(s), or Non-Working on Arrival
If in the event that the item(s) is damaged during transit, incorrectly shipped, or non-working on arrival, customer should notify AQUATRADERS.COM within 48 hours of arrival. Please submit your report on-line through the Contact Us section in our site. 30-Day Return Policy will override any claim of damage, incorrectly shipped, and non-working on arrival if we receive the report after 48 hours of arrival.

In certain cases, customers are able to fix the issues without going through a claim or an exchange. Simply contact our customer service for the replacement part you need. Otherwise, customer will be issued a RMA number. Return the item(s) in accordance with the return procedure stated below. If the item(s) returned does fall under the categories, "Damaged Shipment", "Incorrectly Shipped", or "Non-Working on Arrival", a replacement will be shipped.

Free items are not eligible for return or exchange under any circumstances.

Chris88 did you end up getting one?.

chris88
04-24-2012, 11:08 PM
I was really excited to order them but I was turned off by the lack of knowledge aqua traders and the eBay sellers had about the product. No one could tell me anything about them. Nothing about the heat sink or LEDs or lens. I know the price is great but I didn't really want to gamble.

arash53
04-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Yeah ,So disappointing!

RuGlu6
04-25-2012, 05:25 AM
I was really excited to order them but I was turned off by the lack of knowledge aqua traders and the eBay sellers had about the product. No one could tell me anything about them. Nothing about the heat sink or LEDs or lens. I know the price is great but I didn't really want to gamble.

Yeah ,So disappointing!

Yep, same here, i am so hesitant and more so now when this guy had been Not properly serviced even though their own web site states that non working on arrival items will be replaced.
When i called them (a month or so ago) i talked to Asian woman and unfortunately she was no help at all.

At any rate there is yet another new LED fixture there "quad" (http://www.aquatraders.com/EVO-Quad-48-LED-Reef-Bright-p/56237.htm) which is a double from previous one (http://www.aquatraders.com/EVO-48-LED-Reef-Bright-p/56234.htm).
These new LED fixtures are keep coming ...and price is good ....hmmm

mikeclarke
05-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Do you think that the Quad is the best value for an LED light? Will it keep corals happy?

mike31154
05-01-2012, 02:33 PM
To chime in on some of the earlier questions... While I don't have a controller either, since switching to my DIY LED fixture I'm inclined to consider something other than a timer or manual dimmer to control the lights. One of the great advantages of LEDs is the flexibility in power & colour choices. A controller allows for automatic blending of the various colours for the look that you personally like provided you also consider your coral's requirements. With many of the cheaper fixtures, you are stuck with the colour options built into the light with no way of fine tuning that other than replacing LEDs or supplementing with other lights.

In addition to timing options & water parameter monitoring, most controllers out there these days also offer analog and/or digital dimming signals to fine tune LED lighting. This is the feature that allows automatic, gradual dimming & options like cloudy days, moon phase tracking, lightning etc. While I could care less about the lightning feature, the ability to automatically tune my LEDs in almost infinite steps throughout the daily photo period is a good reason to consider either getting a controller or building one.

With respect to Cree LEDs vs the competition, it's generally accepted that currently the Cree emitters provide more lumens per watt. This means they are more efficient & theoretically you could get away with fewer Crees for a build than the less efficient LEDs. Hard to say form one build to the next whether it's more cost effective to go Cree over another brand, that's something pretty much each individual has to do the math on. My DIY LED fixture is made up of multi-chip 10 watt generic LEDs from Asia. Although it's been up & running for almost a month, there are a few more tweaks & modifications I need to do, automatic control being one.

I have no experience with these EVO fixtures. The price is certainly attractive, but it appears the after sales support is not the greatest & based on the lack of information coming from the suppliers, I'd hesitate to spend the $$s on one.

RuGlu6
05-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Do you think that the Quad is the best value for an LED light? Will it keep corals happy?

No i don't think Quad is the best because there are a lot of people running their LED at less the 50% intensity (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85801)
So based just on that even IF i would concider Evo LED from Aquatraders i would buy two instead of one quad. At least this will give you some flexibility. Unless of course there are separate cords or switches to get half of the fixture illuminated. It says "2 external high power transformers", so may be there are two cords. In that case $239 for Quad is better then 2 48" fixturesx159.90=319.80

One this is clear that LED's get cheaper by the month, who knows what price will be next year, maybe AI sols will sell for $300 instead of $900 who knows?

To chime in on some of the earlier questions... While I don't have a controller either, since switching to my DIY LED fixture I'm inclined to consider something other than a timer or manual dimmer to control the lights. One of the great advantages of LEDs is the flexibility in power & colour choices. A controller allows for automatic blending of the various colours for the look that you personally like provided you also consider your coral's requirements. With many of the cheaper fixtures, you are stuck with the colour options built into the light with no way of fine tuning that other than replacing LEDs or supplementing with other lights.

In addition to timing options & water parameter monitoring, most controllers out there these days also offer analog and/or digital dimming signals to fine tune LED lighting. This is the feature that allows automatic, gradual dimming & options like cloudy days, moon phase tracking, lightning etc. While I could care less about the lightning feature, the ability to automatically tune my LEDs in almost infinite steps throughout the daily photo period is a good reason to consider either getting a controller or building one.

With respect to Cree LEDs vs the competition, it's generally accepted that currently the Cree emitters provide more lumens per watt. This means they are more efficient & theoretically you could get away with fewer Crees for a build than the less efficient LEDs. Hard to say form one build to the next whether it's more cost effective to go Cree over another brand, that's something pretty much each individual has to do the math on. My DIY LED fixture is made up of multi-chip 10 watt generic LEDs from Asia. Although it's been up & running for almost a month, there are a few more tweaks & modifications I need to do, automatic control being one.

I have no experience with these EVO fixtures. The price is certainly attractive, but it appears the after sales support is not the greatest & based on the lack of information coming from the suppliers, I'd hesitate to spend the $$s on one.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Can you describe your tank please WxLxD, what corals do you keep and how long and under how many LED at 10W per LED since you are not using Crees, your LED's can be close to EVO product although there is no way of knowing obviously.
Regarding more lumens per watt seems like non issue right now as many pple do Not run LED at 100% (link above) anyway.
That is why Aquatraders fixtures are so attractive, i can get two fixtures for less then $300 (my tank is 36" so its $149.90 each) and if (that is the big IF) they have half decent LED's corals should be OK. Personally i don't care about fancy $900 controllers. I am ok with $8 timer.
They say that individual lenses are replaceable (good) but they don't say anything about lens angle and led itself other then it white and blue, and customer service sucks. (not so good).

arash53
05-01-2012, 10:54 PM
The other thing I didn't like about my Reefbright LED was the lens angel, my fixture was covering just about its size maybe couple inch more. also the colour temperature was too yellowish so it cant be uses without actinic T5.

mike31154
05-02-2012, 02:44 AM
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Can you describe your tank please WxLxD, what corals do you keep and how long and under how many LED at 10W per LED since you are not using Crees, your LED's can be close to EVO product although there is no way of knowing obviously.

My tank is a 77 gallon Hagen, 4' long, 16" sides & 24" deep. I have a DIY LED build thread going that provides plenty of details regarding the components I'm using.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82206&page=2

To summarize for those not wishing to slog thru the whole thread, the fixture consists of 27 LEDs, all 10 watters. They are arranged on three aluminum rails with approx 5 inch spacing between each 10 watt array.
-Two outer rails each have five 10000K White & four 452-455NM Royal Blue,
-Center rail has five 460-470NM Blue & four 6000-7000K White

So potentially I have 270 watts of LED power over my tank. I've been running the fixture for a month now at 8 inches above the water surface & haven't even come close to running it at full power. Cost for components to this point is just under $600 & I'm reasonably confident the fixture will blow either of the EVOs out of the water. By comparison the 32 LED EVO will give you around 100 watts & the quad 200 watts at full power. How that translates into lumens per watt is anyone's guess, but I'm quite pleased with my DIY effort. For coral I have mostly softies but also a hammer & several sps, but not sps heavy. Everything's doing very well following the transition from my 2x250 watt MH, T5HO combo.

tang daddy
05-02-2012, 02:46 AM
I have read through your post, have you checked out the maxspect lighting? Those led fixtures aren't bad, another one is the E shine if youre trying to keep costs down.... Ideally 2 ai sol blues with a controller would be great for your tank but I am buyest because I own 2. I am wondering if you mount it high enough and cut your center brace if you could get away with 1 AI and no controller. That would keep costs down and you could run the fixture at full 100%, just a thought!

RuGlu6
05-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Mixed reviews are coming in on these evo lights.
48" quad
http://www.aquatraders.com/EVO-Quad-48-LED-Reef-Bright-p/56237.htm

Fantastic Fixture! May 3, 2012
Reviewer: Ryan from Westminster, CO United States
If you are looking for an inexpensive, amazing LED light fixture for your reef, this is it! I own both the normal version of this fixture and this quad version, and the quad really gives great light to my entire tank (72 bowfront.) Great color, awesome shimmer and the unit is well constructed and looks nice.

Bottom line, tons of light, full tank width coverage and very inexpensive. Buy it!
72" inch on 125 Gal FOWLR
http://www.aquatraders.com/EVO-72-LED-Reef-Bright-p/56236.htm
Plenty of Good and Some Bad April 20, 2012
Reviewer: Ryan from Westminster, CO United States
I just replaced my 6 x 65watt CF fixture, with this on my 125 gallon FOWLR. First off, I love the color and the shimmer effect is amazing! It gives a very natural look to my once, super bright tank. The fixture as a whole, seems to be well made and feels like decent quality materials.

On the negative side, this fixture does not even come close to covering the full width of a mere 18" tank, so you have to choose which half of your tank you want dark, unless you buy 2 of these fixtures. I also question the 3w claim, as there are not nearly as bright as I would expect for being that high power of an LED. I also think this fixture could use some diffusion, as the transition from white light to actinic is very noticeable, with the end actinics looking like a blue spotlights.

Overall, you can't beat the price, but if you want equal lighting coverage to other lighting solutions, you will need 2. I also question whether these would provide enough light for a reef.

Nano
05-03-2012, 07:55 PM
those are just the reviews on site as well, I would look further then just a distributor for reviews.. Again I dont want to sound like a prude, but if you can't gather evidence of it being functional and well suited for a reef tank, then I wouldn't even think about it just to save a couple $ cause if it doesnt work the way you need it to (and personally I am skeptical that it will) then you are out $

Not worth the risk to me

RuGlu6
05-04-2012, 12:21 AM
those are just the reviews on site as well, I would look further then just a distributor for reviews.. Again I dont want to sound like a prude, but if you can't gather evidence of it being functional and well suited for a reef tank, then I wouldn't even think about it just to save a couple $ cause if it doesnt work the way you need it to (and personally I am skeptical that it will) then you are out $

Not worth the risk to me

Well i cant agree more, this is exactly why i started this thread to get help from people like you in finding good reports/reviews on this product.
There is no any other reviews anywhere yet, hopefully people will post more in time.
So why don't you help us all and let us know if you see anything interesting...?

Having said that, Aquatreaders are posting negative reviews as well as positive so at least they are not cherry picking yet.
I am not anywhere near ordering one for myself though i am interested to see how this will progress.

Also for FOWLR and softies these LEDs look very attractive for $269 for Quad or $159 with free shipping don't you agree?

Nano
05-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Well yes but the real question is life span and quality of the LEDs sure they are 3x but look at the rap marinelands getting for LEDs burning out or flickering, and they are a "decent" Brand(I say that with remorse) ;)
I would definitely like to see some reviews more then what is posted on distributors websites as well, as like I said, I am skeptical that the quality is there, but if it is, then right on, moght buy one for a fuge light to kick the 15w CFL I am using :lol:

Well i cant agree more, this is exactly why i started this thread to get help from people like you in finding good reports/reviews on this product.
There is no any other reviews anywhere yet, hopefully people will post more in time.
So why don't you help us all and let us know if you see anything interesting...?

Having said that, Aquatreaders are posting negative reviews as well as positive so at least they are not cherry picking yet.
I am not anywhere near ordering one for myself though i am interested to see how this will progress.

Also for FOWLR and softies these LEDs look very attractive for $269 for Quad or $159 with free shipping don't you agree?

RuGlu6
05-05-2012, 04:11 PM
ok found something else.

http://www.reefshops.com/60cm-90cm-120cm-sunrise-sunset-intelligent-simulation-automatic-led-light-aquarium-for-coral-reef-customer-light-intensity-use-software-and-store-in-sd-card.html

New LED fixture (120V-220V) with built in timer and controller it’s a 3W Cree Led or BridgeLux LEDs 60 degree or 90 degree optics of your choice.
9k to 18 K color.
One year warranty ( did order from them 3 times before and warranty was supported, it was one small item though (impeller) but at least i know the company exist), also has a remote control and a dimmer for different light intensity as well as moon cycle SD card slot for program storage.
Price is from 300 to $432 depending on type of LEDs and size of the fixture. So for the most expensive Cree LED model +$30 for hanging kit+ $70shipping to Canada it is $533.
Has built in fans.
As you can see they measured PAR without water which is sucks but at least they provided something, does anyone know how much PAR is lost in water, can we some how figure out what actual PAR will be reaching corals? 482 PAR at 12" without water what will that be with water I wonder?

Everyones opinion is welcome and apreciated.
thx

arash53
05-05-2012, 06:51 PM
where are they located?

RuGlu6
05-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Lower Mainland China lol

arash53
05-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Do you know how much is the shipping cost to canada?

RuGlu6
05-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Do you know how much is the shipping cost to canada?

$70.
To calculate: pick your fixture, put it in shopping cart.
Click on shopping cart (top left of the screen) click calculate shipping cost, choose your location postal code etc, click calculate.
There will be 3 options but I think more expensive does not mean faster shipping it will be 3 weeks anyway so when I buy from them I always pick the cheapest.

having said all that, I don't know how good the fixture is even though they say its a Cree LEDs and this very well may be, but quality of the build and electronics is a big question mark.
I got few things from them: Protein Skimmer, Calcium reactor and overflow box. All works great. But I have no idea how LED light will work we might want to look for some reviews before making a decision.

Also i would ask for a manual pdf download first because if its in Chinese (like mine for Calc reactor) it might be hard to figure out.
He speaks good english but very basic, so make yourself very clear and sometimes he needs explanation on what exactly do you mean.

RuGlu6
05-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Does anyone know what angle is better 60 or 90 degrees for corals?

FishIsGood2
05-05-2012, 08:46 PM
I ordered one EVO led from aquatraders and should be here next week. Then I could set it up and let you guys know how good/bad it is. I believe I should be OK cause I have only softies and LPS.

I found a LED for reef tank in the following link very interesting, they show the PAR value at different water depths. Aslo you can pick it up locally in Vancouver.

http://qpaws.ca/home.html

misty s
05-05-2012, 10:49 PM
i bought the aquatraders evo 3w led and am happy with it. i am new to this hobby and didnt want to spend $1000 on lights when my system is dedicated toward fish, and the odd coral i have the courage to try. the light is very directional and spotlightish, but i like it and think its worth the price. all i have for coral is 1 wellsophyllia(i think) and a kenya tree and both are happy under this light. it is a thin fixture and doesnt cover the width of my tank that great, but overall i am happy. i will try to post some pics shortly although it looks better in person than in the pics

misty s
05-05-2012, 11:33 PM
heres some pics (crappy as they may be lol)
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj508/mistyshrop/904.jpg

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj508/mistyshrop/902.jpg

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj508/mistyshrop/901.jpg

RuGlu6
05-06-2012, 06:19 AM
Thank you so much for the feed back and pictures, appreciate that.
I don't know about others but to me it looks like a lot of light. Judging by the level of the live rock illumination it is very bright. Sand is also very well lit and even reflecting some light back to the rock.
But overall light color is pretty much to my liking at about 14K phoenix kind of light spectrum, maybe i would want it a teed bid bluer. But picture may look different from actual light color.

Yes it does look like spot light, i guess its the angle of the lenses (do the have lenses?)

The solution might be to filter out as many suspended particles as you can from water, say with filter sock, the spotlight effect will be less noticeable. And also you can apply black electrical tape just under the top plastic tank rim, sort of making it wider and this will help with hiding or making the led bulbs less noticeable when looking at the tank.

Please keep us updated on corals and your new light fixture.

RuGlu6
05-15-2012, 10:26 AM
I ordered one EVO led from aquatraders and should be here next week. Then I could set it up and let you guys know how good/bad it is. I believe I should be OK cause I have only softies and LPS.

I found a LED for reef tank in the following link very interesting, they show the PAR value at different water depths. Aslo you can pick it up locally in Vancouver.

http://qpaws.ca/home.html

Any up date/ reviews?
thx

FishIsGood2
05-16-2012, 02:09 AM
Picked it up from Pt Roberts yesterday and installed it last night. The light is well built and installation is straight forward. One funny thing is that there is not a single sheet of paper in the package, no warning, no manual, no registration request.... simply nothing.

I will post pictures of the fish tank with a 4x24W T5 and this LED this Saturday and you guys make the judgement yourself.

RuGlu6
05-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Picked it up from Pt Roberts yesterday and installed it last night. The light is well built and installation is straight forward. One funny thing is that there is not a single sheet of paper in the package, no warning, no manual, no registration request.... simply nothing.

I will post pictures of the fish tank with a 4x24W T5 and this LED this Saturday and you guys make the judgement yourself.

Thanks for the update any pictures reviews how do you like it so far?
What corals do you have under new light?

FishIsGood2
05-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Tank is 24L x 18 x 18.
T5 is nova extreme T5HO with 2 UVL-24W aquasun and 2 UVL-24W super actinic. All bulbs are 5 month old.
LED is Green Element EVO Reef LED Light Fixture 24"

Pic 1: T5 at the back (4" above water surface) and LED in the front (2.5" above surface)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78922570@N05/7244606842/in/photostream

Pic 2: T5 only at the centre of the tank, 4" above water surface

FishIsGood2
05-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Continue with my last post ......
Pic 2:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78922570@N05/7244625228/in/photostream

Pic 3: LED only at the centre, 2.5" above surface
http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/78922570@N05/7244633394/in/photostream

Pic 4: LED only at the centre, 4" above surface
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78922570@N05/7244641476/in/photostream

Pic 5: LED only at the centre, 5.5" above surface
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78922570@N05/7244650542/in/photostream

RuGlu6
05-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the pics.
Appreciate the update.
pic # DSC00968 LED only (center, 5.5") looks very purple is it blue LED only?

as well as on pic # DSC00967 T5 (back) + LED (front) looks somewhat purple.

Pic # DSC00969 LED only (centre, 4') looks normal

Pic # DSC00970 LED only (centre, 2.5") looks good but identical to pic # DSC00971 T5 only (centre). Are you sure that DSC00970 & DSC00971 is not the same light?

I don't see any "disco ball", and/or spotlight effect this is interesting because in previous posts from Misty S 3rd picture i can definitely see the spotlight effect. Could this be due to different fixture size? Or lenses on your fixture have different (wider) angle ?

But at any rate how do you like it so far ? what is your impression and opinion?
thx

RuGlu6
05-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Here is someone else review on the same 24" fixture and he indicates "spotlight" effect.
I wonder if this could be the way these fixtures assembled? meaning if the led sits closer to the lens then it will be "wider angle" if led sits further away from the lens then it will be narrower angle and thus will produce spotlight effect.

http://www.aquatraders.com/EVO-24-LED-Reef-Bright-p/56232.htm

Good for the price May 16, 2012
Reviewer: Anonymous Person from Texas
Got this in today. First, I'll say that Aquatraders has AWESOME shipping. Tracking numbers come quickly and the product does too! Zero complaints there. Well packaged!
I own this and several other products, but I would say that the differences between this and BeamsWork Reef Bright LED Light Fixture 24" are minimal. I was expecting a lot more brightness (appearance) and lumens (measured) from this unit. Not so much in reality.

I'd get the Reef Bright BeamsWork unit from here instead. The visual is about the same and this unit has a bit more 'spotlighting' effect.

Prices are similar so no worries. Good unit, packed well, just not optimal for my use. My recommendation would be to go for the other unit (BeamsWork 1W LED) offered here instead. I still would be hesitant to rate either for reef tanks. I'm basing this rating and opinion on my FW planted usage. Looks great here. Didn't like the look on my reef tank. Sticking with T5 there for now.....

RuGlu6
07-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Aquatraders now have "new & improved wider angle lenses" but they dont say what angle they are...
there are 3 reviews now.

http://www.aquatraders.com/EVO-Quad-48-LED-Reef-Bright-p/56237.htm

For $239 its still looks like a good deal to me. Though i bought some blue 470nm LED's stripes localy to replace my actinics and corals responding positevly. So i will not be buying the Aquatraders version because i now have MH DE 2x250W / LED combo.
here are the pics
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87189&page=4

masgatigata
01-01-2013, 09:52 PM
I bought the Green Element from aquatraders back in August: http://www.aquatraders.com/EVO-Quad-48-LED-Reef-Bright-p/56237.htm

I've never kept corals before, and wanted to give it a go. I did not however want to spend so much money on lights right of the bat, so I opted for the green element eves. I have a standard 55gallon tank, 19.5inches in depth. So far, I like them. I have not had any trouble with flickering lights, or lights burning out. My biggest concern was keeping the corals alive, obviously...and they have been doing pretty good. I did notice that a red acan frag I bought lost a lot of its red color. I'm pretty sure it's because it was getting too much light, so I've placed it on the sand bed and I'm keeping an eye on it. I also notice teh spotlight effect the lights have as well. 10523

10526 Here are some pictures.

masgatigata
01-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Sorry for the upside down pic. I have no idea why that happened.