PDA

View Full Version : PVC overflow

troni
04-04-2012, 09:35 PM
so i finally got my stand sorta finished (looks terrible functions well). and got my sump installed and my pvc overlfow done. now im having gurgling. i relieze its from the water dropping and air and splashing i look it up and either
1. i choke the drain line with the valve...but i want the drain line to be able to carry more water the can be pumped in so that way if its raising .5 mm every day 3 weeks down the road it wont overflow.

2. smoother transition to the last fall. instead of a 90, 2 - 45. space is limiting as its only a 20g and i'm drilled through the top of the stand.

i have some other ideas that might fix it that ive kinda read.

when it drops down through the stand, it goes straight down till water is released below water level. reasoning is because i dont want splashing to avoid mold mildew rotting inside the stand.

adding a cap with a hole drilled intop where the air inlet is.

any other ideas are great welcomed and appreaciated.

i can add pictures maybe if i can figure it out as itll be first picture posting.

reefwars
04-04-2012, 09:45 PM
what type of overflow do you have set up?? if your using 2 drains then use a gate valve on one so you can fine tune it to match your return pump:P

troni
04-04-2012, 09:56 PM
i dunno what its called but no only one drain for now

reefwars
04-04-2012, 10:07 PM
never choke your drain with anything unless you have an emergency drain so are you using a durso like this??:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFW6jmu3g6vl22nm5dl_gElpbpZUDJ7 LhK8Zq4xdX7ieOiqrqtHg

or just a standpipe??

or do you have nothing in your overflow box but the bulkhead itself??

troni
04-05-2012, 02:15 AM
i dont know what type i have so i tried the cap with a hole but still very loud so harvey at MA suggestted using a air valve to get the correct intake so i might try that when i can get to a store.

anyway i attched pictures of what i have inside and out of tank on top of stand. under it goes straight down to below water level.

RDNanoGuy
04-05-2012, 01:05 PM
The hole in the cap is way too big. Start with your smallest drill bit and keep enlarging it till the siphon is working properly. Or you could use a needle valve to dial in the right amount of air.

troni
04-05-2012, 01:25 PM
i think im going to try needle valve. wont i need the whistling affect still?
what about raising the the end in the sump to above water level?

troni
04-05-2012, 02:49 PM
so i put tape over it and its not gluging anymore.
but now where it drains its loud but i think i need to cut it shorter so i can add the drain top so no snails can get in and that might fix it.

troni
04-05-2012, 07:36 PM
so i havent done that yet but my next problem is after the tape. my siphon is breaking? anyone?

RDNanoGuy
04-06-2012, 01:36 AM
Without a small hole the overflow will create a full siphon and drain the ubend causing the siphon break. That's why need the hole. The needle valve will help dial it in. It shouldn't whistle with the valve in place. Also set the output of the drain about 1 -1.5" below the water level in your sump. That will silence splashing noise but still allow the water to push excess air out of the pipe.

troni
04-06-2012, 05:04 AM
nope.
i tried the hole no needle valve and didnt work. tried taping the hole till no more gurgling and it worked whistling every few minutes, except when power shutoff it broke siphon like you said.

best i got is above water with 3/4 to 1 1/2 bushing. then 1 1/2 to 3" reducing coupling. and still gurgling but i'm on the right track i hope. also i have the cap with hole on.

i think my next option is going to be replacing the (valve to 90) to (valve to tee), better air flow down the last pipe.

The Grizz
04-06-2012, 05:31 AM
Bring some pics on your phone of what you have on Saturday so I can see what you have going on. I am sure we can figure out something to make it work better with very little sound.