PDA

View Full Version : BB Options

Scales
03-11-2004, 04:49 PM
I am taking out the sandbed in my 90 and have researched "BB" options. I am going to avoid placing the liverock directly on the glass. Anyone have any comments on what to use?

I have read the "starboard/cutting board" threads on RC...anyone used this material? If so, where did you source it?...I have also read about people using tiles (marble)...and acrylic sheets (the type used for lighting fixtures which is flat on one side but "rough/dimpled" on the other)...

Any advice is welcomed..

Cheers.

StirCrazy
03-12-2004, 12:30 AM
I would put a layer of a little coarser sand under where you are going to put the rock and then suck out the extra. all the starboard ect looked bad in my opinion.

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
03-12-2004, 02:33 AM
short cross section cuts of 1 1/2" - 2" PVC works well to hold rock up, some complain about sludge buildup in the pipe, you can drill holes, but I have never had a problem with it. You can also use small piesec of egg crate plastic for lighting fixtures to hold rock off the tank bottom.

Chin_Lee
03-12-2004, 04:37 PM
get thin sheet of black acrlyic and lay it on the bottom. coralline algae will stick on pretty quick and look quite pretty

monza
03-12-2004, 06:31 PM
I've never had a problem with rock directly on the glass and I have lots of rock. Is this extra step not to scrath the glass, or to protect the glass from breaking due to falling rocks? I've tried the PVC thing as stands could never get it as stable as the rock directly on the glass.

I think with careful placement you can avoid both scatches and breaking???

Dave

Scales
03-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Thank you for your responses. My primary goal is to protect the glass from breakage. A couple of landscaping incidents resulted in a rock tumbling to the sand (I cringe at the thought of the bottom cracking!!!!). I also thought that material such as starboard (or even the dimpled acrylic) would prevent the rocks from sliding or moving on the bottom, which may trigger a landslide...

While I usually agree with what Steve has to say and consider his system an example of what to do right , I guess our opinions diverge on this one for aesthetic reasons...I don't think the starboard looks that bad, and hope it becomes covered with coraline and other material to eventually cover it up...

in any event, I have not yet made a final decision...