PDA

View Full Version : mounting shelf rock to glass

claynelson
04-03-2012, 07:06 PM
i have a 16lb shelf rock that i would like to mount to the glass to make it appear like its floating in the water. any ideas how to safely do this?

Aquattro
04-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Attach it to a large tunze magnet..although 16 pounds is a bit much

toytech
04-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Is the tank dry or wet ? if its dry cut the rock with a tile saw to get a flat edge and silicone the crap out of it ( in a corner fith 2 sides of contact would be best) or drill pockets in the back and silicone some rare earth magnets into it , they all usualy have a weight rating to them but make sure to uprate your mags because there will be alot of leverage on them from a shelf piece.

Nano
04-03-2012, 10:30 PM
I agree I was originally going to do a smaller version of this in my cube, but decided to not cover up Gregs beautiful overflow he put in. in stead I am growing montipora on it ;)

I wasnt going to silicone it, but try to drill out some of the weight out of the back while still leaving the rock intact. then using some powerful magnets to hold it in place.

claynelson
04-04-2012, 02:08 AM
i was thinking just silicone it. i like the magnets though its already got 2 flat sides so im good there. is there any issues with bare earth magnets being in a reef tank?

MarkoD
04-04-2012, 02:22 AM
i was thinking just silicone it. i like the magnets though its already got 2 flat sides so im good there. is there any issues with bare earth magnets being in a reef tank?

cover them with epoxy just to be safe

Borderjumper
04-04-2012, 02:24 AM
I have a few magnets in my tank... Shush you know who!.. And you can not just put a bare magnet in your tank.. They have to be coated in epoxy or acrylic.

You can get magnets made to hold a maxi jet or tune pump that work quite well. You can silione the wet side of the magnet to your rock. Let the silicone cure completely before you put it in your tank.

MarkoD
04-04-2012, 02:33 AM
watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz4aJoS7Tqs