PDA

View Full Version : water purifier

fishdaddy3
03-11-2004, 05:10 AM
I can't afford to purchase a RO/DI unit right now and so, I was looking at the TAP WATER PURIFIER available at J and L Aquatics. How well do these work?Any feedback would be great.

Gujustud
03-11-2004, 06:37 AM
I bought one of those as well, as I couldn't afford a RO/DI unit as well.

The cost of the TAP water Purifier, was cheaper then buying purified water in 5gal buckets.

I've been using the same purifier since I bought it (dec), in my 38g tank. I've done 2 full tank water changes, and have no problem so far.

I'm actually just looking up when I should be changing the filter in mine, I suspect every 3-4 months, but I guess it comes down to how often it gets used.

IslandReefer
03-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Just a suggestion, but a $25 TDS meter could moniter general performance of your TW filter. Keep track of the TDS and the gallons processed....then you know when to recharge (I thought the official gallons /charge is apx 50gal depending on your tap water)
I have a five stage RO/DI and Victoria water (at this time in the season) out of the tap measures only 28ppm and zero,of course out the RO/DI. If your water is any where near as good as Vics, out the tap you should be able to get serious mileage out of the TWF, thus RO/DI is ,for most of the year overkill.
Also the recharge process is very easy (search on RDO etc.)....so after using up 2 TWF, recharge and seperate the cat and anion beads (makes further recharge one step) link them and you are good to go....good luck. This is not my idea, I read it and untill I got the RO/DI as a B-day prezzy thats what I was going to do.
Gooood Reefing

StirCrazy
03-11-2004, 01:12 PM
Victoria water (at this time in the season) out of the tap measures only 28ppm

Gooood Reefing

what part of town you in, that sounds pretty high. I just tested mine out of curiosity and it was 13ppm, but my friends old house in the glanford area was always over 70ppm, I think the older areas of victoria are getting a lot of contamination from there water mains.

but yes a TDS meter is a exilent sugestion to monitor the out put of which ever unit you buy.

Steve

IslandReefer
03-11-2004, 04:59 PM
I live in Fairfield. My water probably passes through the downtown distributor...so at least older, if not very older. But 28ppm doesn't sound too bad.....I think a TWP would still get good gallonage (new word, like it?)
your 13 ppm should allow apx twicewater between TWP charges assuming a near linear function ?
just my 2 cents

Gujustud
03-11-2004, 10:55 PM
Where can you get a TDS meter?

EmilyB
03-12-2004, 01:15 AM
I have both a TWP unit (no cartridge) and a handheld TDS meter for sale. If you are interested, pm me.

:smile: