PDA

View Full Version : Maxijet Modification

christyf5
03-11-2004, 03:46 AM
Wow, who knew I'd ever be posting in the DIY forum :razz:

I just found a cool modification on RC for maxijets on a wavemaker. It allows for oscillating flow by cutting down the output nozzle.

I made Jack go first before I modified mine :wink:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=326587&highlight=maxijet+modification

Works like a charm!

Christy :)

StirCrazy
03-11-2004, 04:16 AM
do you have a good one to compare the out put against? i am wondering how much the stream is slowed down.

Steve

Jack
03-11-2004, 04:18 AM
It's not slowed down. Why would it slow down?

Works great. Just did my powerheads.

christyf5
03-11-2004, 04:18 AM
Sheesh Steve, I just hacked apart my MJs without doing any testing. What do you think I am, some sort of scientist? :rolleyes: :razz:

I have a good one still, I'll throw it in the tank and check it out. Back in 10 mins :wink:

StirCrazy
03-11-2004, 04:25 AM
It's not slowed down. Why would it slow down?

Works great. Just did my powerheads.

it should be difused quite a bit so not as much force.. which would give a gentler stream of water as it will be less focused.. the question is how much of a difference though :mrgreen:

Steve

christyf5
03-11-2004, 04:26 AM
Steve,

No the flow of the water is still there, only slightly less than the unmodified powerhead, however the stream is more dispersed instead of being tightly directed to just one area. I tested it most scientifically, with my hand. Want me to time valonia shooting across the tank? :razz:

StirCrazy
03-11-2004, 04:28 AM
Steve,

No the flow of the water is still there, only slightly less than the unmodified powerhead, however the stream is more dispersed instead of being tightly directed to just one area. I tested it most scientifically, with my hand. Want me to time valonia shooting across the tank? :razz:

thats what I mean hehe sorry, how much more dispersed is it .. say at 24" is it the same force? or is it a larger softer flow?

Steve

christyf5
03-11-2004, 04:37 AM
Steve,

thats what I mean hehe sorry, how much more dispersed is it .. say at 24" is it the same force? or is it a larger softer flow?

Steve

Well at 24" we got nothin doin from either powerhead. Water flow gives out at about 12" or so, maybe 15". I tested at 12" and the modified powerhead gives out about half the flow of the unmodified one. So basically by chopping up your powerhead you get dispersed flow in two directions but you get less force across the tank.

StirCrazy
03-11-2004, 04:43 AM
cool, 1/2 the flow roughly.. exactly what I wanted to know. I might have to try this in the LPS tank.. i could get 4 MJ1200's going in a 25 gal tank :mrgreen:

Steve

christyf5
03-11-2004, 04:53 AM
Yeah this is pretty cool. :cool: Definitely more flow circulating around the tank now. I really like it so far and I only did this to 2 maxijets. I left my 802's alone. This is like having new toys for free! :mrgreen: