PDA

View Full Version : Survival chances?

Borderjumper
04-03-2012, 04:04 AM
So I can home tonight and my most special (to me) pink tail trigger was on the floor. Actually he didn't end up on the carpet, he ended up in a big flat empty bin.

That bin is prolly what saved him, as the carpet would have wicked moisture faster.

He looked totally dead, except when I bent down to scoop him he flicked his trigger. I filled the bin with water, and he started breathing after a while, and then after half an hour he cold kinda right him self.

I figured he had the best chance being put back in the tank so he could go into his rock and pin himself upright, which he instantly did.
If he dies I'm screwed as I will have to take mt vaZOOvious apart to get his body.:sad: but I wanted him to have a chance.. Sometimes this hobby truly sucks.

FitoPharmer
04-03-2012, 04:10 AM
I rescued many fish in the pet store that I worked at from death by flooring. If they are still moving and breathing when you put them in the water that is a huge plus. Were the scales dry before you put him back in water? Hope your fish recovers.

fishytime
04-03-2012, 04:12 AM
triggers are incredibly tough.....we had "Zeus" (Red Coral Calgary's mascot), a titan trigger, spend an unknown amount of time on the floor one day.....I was working away and a customer noticed him and notified me.....I scooped him up and threw him back in the tank and he is still playing with customers today:mrgreen:......Im gonna say it will kinda depend on how long he spent high and dry....the fact he swam to his favorite spot is probably a good sign tho....

subman
04-03-2012, 04:15 AM
I had an oscar jump out many years ago and he was stiff from being so dried out...put him back in and the gills started moving and he lived for many years after. I know there is a big difference between fresh and salty fish but there is hope.

Hope he pulls through, that's a great fish

Nano
04-03-2012, 04:19 AM
I had an oscar jump out many years ago and he was stiff from being so dried out...put him back in and the gills started moving and he lived for many years after. I know there is a big difference between fresh and salty fish but there is hope.

I had a cichlid jump a while back, my wife did know what to do (???????WTF??????) so he was out for a good 45 minutes. when I got home he was a goner.. or so I thought, I scooped him up and tossed him in a hospital tank, today he is the dominant fish in the tank, and a very pretty one I might add.

Borderjumper
04-03-2012, 05:07 AM
Thanks guys..one of his sides looked pretty bad.. I'm assuming it was the side up exposed to the air, and his tail didn't appear to work, it was pretty clumped up. Your experiences give me hope!

Aquattro
04-03-2012, 05:51 AM
I had a crusty wrasse on a cross brace, and he pulled through. He'll probably be fine.

Borderjumper
04-04-2012, 07:18 AM
Well I just has to do a midnight reef take apart to get his body out, of course he was in the exact middle very bottom of my zoa mountain. No energy to even try and put it back together.

subman
04-04-2012, 11:57 AM
that sucks sorry to hear that.

fishytime
04-04-2012, 01:22 PM
:sad:

christyf5
04-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Aww, sorry to hear that Shelley :neutral:

Lance
04-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Sorry to hear this. It sucks to lose a fish.

muck
04-04-2012, 06:07 PM
:cry:

Borderjumper
04-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks guys.. I kinda knew when input him back in that tearing the rock out would be a possibility, but I also knew he had no chance of recovery in a bucket.

Casey8
04-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Very sorry :( but you did try your best.

e46er
04-07-2012, 05:17 AM
that sucks sorry to hear

paddyob
04-07-2012, 01:53 PM

I had an identical issue.

Dry Oscar. So dry he was stuck to the top of the stand.

I dripped water on him to remove him and gills moved.

His eye got damaged and was blind on one side but he lived. Crazy crap.