PDA

View Full Version : How come so many vortechs for sale?

Jaws
04-02-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm just curious why you see so many vortechs for sale versus Tunzes? Or is it just me? The reason I ask is I'm considering a couple vortechs for an upcoming build and I'd like to hear why people are selling them. My setup is going to be an inwall tank so noise isn't really a problem. Thanks in advance.

reefgirl189
04-02-2012, 09:06 PM
I noticed that today too. Weird.

spawn
04-02-2012, 09:19 PM
I think it's just because of their original value. I think that some people end up over spending in general or want to upgrade other areas of their tanks, so they sell the most expensive thing they have because they need money.
I have 2 & wouldn't sell or trade them for anything.

fishytime
04-02-2012, 09:42 PM
fragile wet sides?......Ive replaced mine a couple times......that being what it is, I will continue to replace them as needed....

Jaws
04-02-2012, 09:46 PM
fragile wet sides?......Ive replaced mine a couple times......that being what it is, I will continue to replace them as needed....

Fragile in what way? Like if they get bumped or...

MarkoD
04-02-2012, 09:55 PM
I have no idea. Good for me tho, I'm looking for 2 more mp40s

VFX
04-02-2012, 10:02 PM
For me it's the noise. My tank is in my main living area so the ones facing towards the couch meant anyone sitting on that couch had an annoying time watching TV or chatting with others.

The Tunzes I replaced the mp40's with are silent by comparison.

NorthernCoral
04-02-2012, 10:08 PM
I recently sold my vortech. I was caught up in all the hype and had to have one about 3 months ago. Was over it in about a week and was very dissapointed in the excessive hum (especially in pulse mode) that it creates and the unsilghty black propeller stuck to the side of my tank just made me dislike this item even more. And to top it off I most defintly dont want to spend the hundreds if not thousands of dollars it would be to create enough flow in my new 210g tank with the vortechs. Overall I think this product has many cool features and looks cool in the box but has some heavy cons which outweigh the pros.

MarkoD
04-02-2012, 10:09 PM
I recently sold my vortech. I was caught up in all the hype and had to have one about 3 months ago. Was over it in about a week and was very dissapointed in the excessive hum (especially in pulse mode) that it creates and the unsilghty black propeller stuck to the side of my tank just made me dislike this item even more. And to top it off I most defintly dont want to spend the hundreds if not thousands of dollars it would be to create enough flow in my new 210g tank with the vortechs. Overall I think this product has many cool features and looks cool in the box but has some heavy cons which outweigh the pros.

so what did you replace it with?

NorthernCoral
04-02-2012, 10:31 PM
so what did you replace it with?

Old Korallias for now, thinking about a tunze wavebox for the new tank. A little bulky but atleast they are quiet.

BlueWorldAquatic
04-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Just the time of the year also, most people are upgrading, some are shutting down.

reefgirl189
04-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Old Korallias for now, thinking about a tunze wavebox for the new tank. A little bulky but atleast they are quiet.

Oh boy! A tunze wavebox you say? I just so happen to have one for a really good deal! :biggrin:

NorthernCoral
04-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Oh boy! A tunze wavebox you say? I just so happen to have one for a really good deal! :biggrin:

Lol let me rephrase.. a working tunze wavebox.

subman
04-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Im selling mine to get bigger ones for my bigger tank lol. Ive had Korallias and Tunze's and they are good but I love the vortechs .

asylumdown
04-02-2012, 11:21 PM
I've been collecting vortechs, not so much on purpose, but because they're so expensive and I love them so much I'm rationalizing holding on to them a way a hoarder would. I'm *sure* I can find a use for those two mp10s that are too small for anything I have now.

fido19
04-03-2012, 12:16 AM
hey asylumdown if you are selling the mp10s let me know yeah

tim the toolman
04-03-2012, 01:21 AM
I'm going to try the coralife wave system. I know it's cheap and coralife but the reviews have been decent and the mp40s hum a little too much for my liking.(my tank is in my main living area)

subman
04-03-2012, 01:28 AM
I'm going to try the coralife wave system. I know it's cheap and coralife but the reviews have been decent and the mp40s hum a little too much for my liking.(my tank is in my main living area)

Im looking for some mp40s :wink:

MarkoD
04-03-2012, 01:28 AM
i wish i could get an MP10 to stir my kalk in my topoff tank

spawn
04-03-2012, 02:08 AM
i wish i could get an MP10 to stir my kalk in my topoff tank
Just buy the tunze kalk stirrer that goes with their ATO. & you know that kalk only dissolves to a certain saturation point anyway, right?

MarkoD
04-03-2012, 02:19 AM
Just buy the tunze kalk stirrer that goes with their ATO. & you know that kalk only dissolves to a certain saturation point anyway, right?

Yup I know

asylumdown
04-03-2012, 04:50 AM
hey asylumdown if you are selling the mp10s let me know yeah

I just realized that they won't work on anything I own since all the glass on my tank and sump is 5/8 thick, so you might be on. I was hoping to use them to add extra flow to my water change and frag chambers, but the dry side just falls right off :(

fido19
04-03-2012, 04:53 AM
I just realized that they won't work on anything I own since all the glass on my tank and sump is 5/8 thick, so you might be on. I was hoping to use them to add extra flow to my water change and frag chambers, but the dry side just falls right off :(

ok so let me know when u plan on selling them and i am interested for now

DanG
04-03-2012, 05:54 PM
I've got one of the original MP40's. It's a good pump, lined up as perfectly as possible, but since day 1 it's been noisy. Flows a ton of water, random flow is nice, but I just can't get over the noise in my living room. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I've started looking at my replacement options.

Jaws
04-03-2012, 06:14 PM
So to me it sounds like other than noise, the reason people are selling them is mainly because a lot of people own them now and it's only natural for more to be for sale as more people adopt them in the market.

Slick Fork
04-03-2012, 06:20 PM
When I looked at Vortech vs. Tunze I found a lot of complaints (here and on RC) about noise, but also reliability (as fishytime mentioned). The common thread was most people seemed to like the performance but were shocked by the amount of noise vortechs produced and the amount of tinkering required (even on working models).

I went with Tunze and have never looked back, I've had a power supply fail on a 5 year old 6055 and that's been the only issue out of 2 6055s, a 6045, 6025 and Tunze Wavebox. All are/were dead silent and set and forget.

Bblinks
04-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Tunze 6105 for 3 years and no issues(hardly audible), MP10 1 year also no issues(excpet for noise). I almost traded my tunze with MP40's but I heard my buddy Peter's so call symphony of the Vertech pumps and instantly changed my mind.:twised:

MarkoD
04-03-2012, 11:33 PM
i once turned off my mp40s for a few hours and it felt so weird.

once you get used to the noise, you dont notice it as much.

Seriak
04-04-2012, 12:30 AM
I don't really hear mine. I have it at about 70%. Not in pulse though.

patd
04-04-2012, 01:27 AM
I've never had a Tunze so I can't really compare but I think Vortechs are awesome and well worth the money. I could certainly never imagine going back to Koralia. They're like putting footballs in your display tank!
Like some of the others here though - I think I just got used to the noise. That, or maybe its because my living room (where my tank is) is so rarely anywhere near silent anyhow.

reefgirl189
04-04-2012, 01:36 AM
I've noticed these new tunzes of mine and near silent however when they get over about 65% the noise increases significantly. Are the vortechs always audible or are they silent when moving less volume?

patd
04-04-2012, 01:38 AM
I guess everything is relative but I find Vortechs to be pretty silent when running any lower than 50%

jtbadco
04-04-2012, 01:39 AM
I don't like the fact that Vortechs are not aimable. I hate having the 'footballs' in my tank too but I didn't want straight water flow in my tank
At least the Koralias are silent

marie
04-04-2012, 01:49 AM
I don't like the fact that Vortechs are not aimable. I hate having the 'footballs' in my tank too but I didn't want straight water flow in my tank

I thought the same way when they first came out but the flow is so significantly different from tunze that I don't miss the aim ability. In fact when I put my tunze back in the tank I hated the strong force of water directly in front of the powerhead and the deadspots in the rest of the tank

subman
04-04-2012, 01:55 AM

True they are not aimable but the stream is wide spread and not a jet stream in one spot. I also find they draw a lot of water up the glass causing a nice movement behind the rocks. I also fund them silent under 60%.

*what Marie said lol*

Willito
04-04-2012, 02:16 AM
Just a thought, if you want the Tunze to have a similar wide wave spread like the Vortech, you can modify the output nozzle and the wave will be much wider. I saw off the output nozzle back almost completely, leaving just an 1/8" and the wave is much wider and more gentle. Love it.

subman
04-04-2012, 02:25 AM
Just a thought, if you want the Tunze to have a similar wide wave spread like the Vortech, you can modify the output nozzle and the wave will be much wider. I saw off the output nozzle back almost completely, leaving just an 1/8" and the wave is much wider and more gentle. Love it.

Or just buy a vortech and voila its good..
just sayin

RDNanoGuy
04-04-2012, 03:00 AM
I prefer Tunze's myself. Had a first gen MP20 for awhile and I hated it. It was noisy at anything over 60% and it had problems staying coupled through thick glas unless it was perfectly mounted. Also I wasn't really happy with the "wide flow" in my tank. 2 feet away the flow was gone. With my 6095's you still feel it on the other side of my 6' tank! Just get a 7096 controller and you can get 90% of the control ability of the vortech. Plus my tank is totally silent except for a litle splashing from the wavebox waves hitting the eurobrace. :)

Casey8
04-04-2012, 03:03 AM

You can also modify it like this, it will give you stronger flow too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvM4-omJiXM

RedCoralEdmonton
04-04-2012, 05:08 AM
I think it's mostly market share, from what I've seen here in Edmonton, it's like 80% ecotech and 20% tunze, so of course you see more ecotechs for sale, I agree they hum but it's never been much of an issue unless the owner didn't know how to set the spacing properly and prematurely wore out the magnets.... Come to the store if you wanna see what I mean.... Lol anyone that has been in knows what I'm talking about lol.....

Steve

Mike-fish
04-04-2012, 06:30 AM
I think it's mostly market share, from what I've seen here in Edmonton, it's like 80% ecotech and 20% tunze, so of course you see more ecotechs for sale, I agree they hum but it's never been much of an issue unless the owner didn't know how to set the spacing properly and prematurely wore out the magnets.... Come to the store if you wanna see what I mean.... Lol anyone that has been in knows what I'm talking about lol.....

Steve

Yeah that messed up mp40 gets annoying fast

Jaws
04-04-2012, 11:10 PM

Everything I've seen online for this indicates they've done it on nanostreams. I assume you've done it on a 6105 and everything still works fine?

burgerchow
04-05-2012, 01:21 AM
I've got one of the original MP40's. It's a good pump, lined up as perfectly as possible, but since day 1 it's been noisy. Flows a ton of water, random flow is nice, but I just can't get over the noise in my living room. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I've started looking at my replacement options.

easy to overcome the vortech noise. I just put in a 10K audiophile system in my fish room.

Cugio
04-05-2012, 01:24 AM
If you compare the costs between 2 MP40s and 2 streams with the multi-controller 7095/7096, it is priced almost the same. Functionality on the Tunze is also very nice, especially with the USB computer software options. In the end, its just what fad we are into. Something new will come out and we'll all get on the bandwagon.

It is pronounced Tune-Zah, not Tune-zeee.

Lampshade
04-05-2012, 02:27 AM
All i have to say is... Coralife 5800. Dead silent, had a SLIGHT ticking noise i could hear when i put my head close to the tank while looking, but now 0 noise once broken in. It's coralife and i hate them after my skimmer i owned, but they also come with a lifetime warranty so if i ever do have an issue, i expect it will be fixed quickly.

As to why so many vortech's I'd imagine it's because they where the hype last year, and everyone had them, so now they are just seeing a bigger share of used sales.

christyf5
04-05-2012, 02:35 AM
I have mostly tunzes and one MP40. Both have their pros and cons. I bought the MP40 because it was a smoking deal and the spot I wanted it in looks better without seeing the cord in the tank. Flow shmow though, I don't see a diff between the tunze and vortech (although I don't have the vortechs nor tunzes on any kind of fancy flow setting) and I like being able to position the tunzes and my tank doesn't accommodate much space for non-angling powerheads.

That being said, I got some killer deals on used Tunzes when everyone jumped on the vortech bandwagon a couple years ago. It was awesome :biggrin:

intarsiabox
04-05-2012, 03:00 AM
I don't know if it has anything to do with vortech's being for sale all the time or not but when I was looking into them just about every thread I looked at mentioned the great customer service that Ecotech has which worried me. I still have my koralias from 4 years ago (bought used even) and I have absolutely no idea how Hydor's customer service is because I've never had to call them. I didn't find much on how Tunze's C.S. is either because there just doesn't seem to be much that goes wrong with their products. Either way I have no dead spots in my tank that I can find and it didn't cost me a grand for 2 plastic propellers to do it.

marie
04-05-2012, 03:40 AM
I don't know if it has anything to do with vortech's being for sale all the time or not but when I was looking into them just about every thread I looked at mentioned the great customer service that Ecotech has which worried me. I still have my koralias from 4 years ago (bought used even) and I have absolutely no idea how Hydor's customer service is because I've never had to call them. I didn't find much on how Tunze's C.S. is either because there just doesn't seem to be much that goes wrong with their products. Either way I have no dead spots in my tank that I can find and it didn't cost me a grand for 2 plastic propellers to do it.

Lol of all the pieces of failed aquarium equipment (I have bought many over the years) that I have been tempted to throw off my deck, my koralia powerheads are the only things that actually took flight :lol:

intarsiabox
04-05-2012, 03:48 AM
I think the secret is to never clean them!