PDA

View Full Version : What sea salt have you had good experience with

fido19
04-02-2012, 10:28 AM
hey guys so i have been thinking of changing my sea salt. currently i am using instant ocean. are there any brands that come well recommended
just for info i do have sps and lps in my tank

one other thing a friend of mine used to order sea water online (it was filtered and everything) anyone else ever go down this road

BlueTang<3
04-02-2012, 12:59 PM
The most popular salt to instant ocean will be h2 ocean I personally use reefers best but I am on a full zeo system

Aquattro
04-02-2012, 01:00 PM
I also use reefers best.

whatcaneyedo
04-02-2012, 01:54 PM
I use Instant Ocean in conjunction with one additional brand that I pick at random and a DIY mix of Magnesium salts. This link shows a recent poll of salt preferences:

Best Sea Salt for Reef Tanks?
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77578&highlight=salt

Proteus
04-02-2012, 01:56 PM
I like seachem. Bin a good consistent salt

fishytime
04-02-2012, 01:58 PM
H2Ocean for about four years for me

jorjef
04-02-2012, 02:32 PM
I use Royal Nature. It doesn't seem to be very popular, not sure why but it works fine for me. I did test the Alk on a new batch which read out at 7 and the pail advertises 9.....People say 7 is fine but seems low...

chris121277
04-02-2012, 03:23 PM
The last bucket I purchased was H20cean, really happy with it.....I can't say it's totally because of the salt....but I have noticed a growth spurt since changing.

I'll be using it from now on

Starry
04-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Switching from reef crystals to h2ocean.

globaldesigns
04-02-2012, 06:47 PM
I use H2Ocean, mixes very clean and very quickly, as I do put new mixture in tank about 1 hour after mixing.

Have used Reefers Best, also very good salt but more money. I have also had trouble buying at times, thus the reason I switched to H2Ocean

Reef Crystals is what I started with, and used for quite some time. The cheapest to buy, worked well... But I can say doesn't mix as cleanly as the others I stated. Always had some sludge and grime at bottom of pail after mixing.

fido19
04-02-2012, 11:34 PM
hmmm a lot of good responses, i have no beef with instant ocean its a good salt but i need to see some growth in my tank and i have been through some forums and h2ocean seems a favourite among many

oh btw whatcanyedo thanks for the link, i knew about it but wasnt able to find it last night

Ryancw
04-02-2012, 11:41 PM
i just switched over to aquavitro salinity because a friend recommended it and i saw it on sale at pices (**** ain't cheap). it stinks when its dry and takes a bit longer to dissolve but so far everything's responding nicely.
Love the lid because i always have moisture issues

Proteus
04-02-2012, 11:49 PM
i just switched over to aquavitro salinity because a friend recommended it and i saw it on sale at pices (**** ain't cheap). it stinks when its dry and takes a bit longer to dissolve but so far everything's responding nicely.
Love the lid because i always have moisture issues

I like this salt. I was using it. But the last 2 times I went for salt they were out of it. I stuck with seachem though

fido19
04-02-2012, 11:50 PM
hey man i know, instant ocean stinks too but like you said the lid thing i really like that with instant ocean

KPG007
04-03-2012, 04:36 PM
I use half IO and half Brightwell (or Reefer's Best when I can pick it up on sale).
THe Seachem was one of the worst I've tried - it mixed poorly and had scum on the water during mixing, but I may have just had a bad bucket. H2Ocean was slightly better, but for the cost, I prefer Brightwell.

Kelly

RuGlu6
04-03-2012, 04:55 PM
The bottom line is if you have large tank and you do a lot of water changes go Instant Ocean, if you tank is less then 100 Gal go with the good brand like D-D (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/mc-dsalt23/D-D+H2Ocean+Pro+Plus+Salt+Mix+%2823KG%29.html).
It lasts me a year on my 65 gal water change every week 5%.

badAZZlars
04-03-2012, 05:08 PM
I've had good success with both IO and reef crystals in my full sps tank. I stocked up on reef crystals at the big als boxing day sale so will be using that for the next year. I can't justify buying the expensive salts when I get good results from the low priced options.

Sure there is a bit of a film on the top of the water when I mix a fresh batch but it really doesn't bother me. I just skim it off before adding the water to the tank.