PDA

View Full Version : Daily water changes to a mix reef system (are they effective somehow?)

Midway
04-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Hi there,

Just looking for some input on small daily water changes to a mix reef system. i'm looking to "automate" my water changes through pumps, changing something like 2 to 5 gallons of water daily.

What is your opinion on doing something like this? Would be beneficial for the system? Always having new water in the system. I know it depends in the bio load of the system, if you're using a skimmer or not (in my case i'm not).

Just looking what are your thoughts on doing something like this.

Thanks for your inputs.

sphelps
04-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Well the only issue is the water changes will be less effective since you're changing small amounts more often. However stability will be better and as you mentioned easier to automate.

What's your plan for automation? Controller based or just timers and floats? I've done a few before so I can help out in this department.

paddyob
04-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Daily?!? Are you kidding?

Wish I had time for daily wc. Lol. No I don't.

I personally feel it's detrimental.

I run mixed reef. Full mixed reef and only wc about every six weeks.

Anyone who has seen my tank can vouch for it's success.

whatcaneyedo
04-01-2012, 10:11 PM
I've seen it done in some well documented cases online (one of RC's recent TOTM did it) but I personally don't see the value in it. Although I love automation and gadgetry the complexity and risk IMO just isn't worth the bragging rights. My own system is around 240gal and a 10% water change usually just takes 15 minutes of my time each week.

bauder1986
04-01-2012, 10:21 PM
IMO if you want to run a low nutrient system, have a damn good skimmer, possible some pellets, a refuge and clean your filter socks out every couple of days.

Weekly water changes is really the best it can get. Anymore than that and it would not really have any better effect then weekly.

You could always dose your tank daily if you wanted to improve coral growth, but that runs hand in hand with a real good skimmer and some other filtering options.

A real nice filter option that i personally prefer to over kill are filter feeder corals like brains, frogspawn, zoos, acans, etc. And a bunch of clams to eat at the nitrates are nice to....and the fact that coral produces oxygen during the daytime while the lights are running(photosynthesis) which is beneficial for your fish and the live bacteria culture in your ecosystem.

But yah, daily water changes are a unnecessary overkill unless you are dealing with a cycling tank or bacterial algea or a major ammonia/nitrate/nitrate spike.

Midway
04-02-2012, 01:32 AM
Thanks very much for you inputs guys. I was considering this but i just gonna stick with the weekly water changes i guess. It does not take that long anyways.