PDA

View Full Version : what is your tap water pH

tt101
04-01-2012, 02:17 AM
hey everyone,
i tested my tank water at 8.6 {still cycling} and then tested my tap water at 7.6.....and that got me thinking, is my test kit off? just wondering what everyone else here is reading on their water right out of the tap and if you want even your tank pH?.
thanks

Lance
04-01-2012, 02:29 AM
6.9 out of the tap and 8.24 in the tank

Cal_stir
04-01-2012, 02:34 AM
Mine reads 7.61, my TDS is @ 180ppm, pure water is 7 ph.

Aquattro
04-01-2012, 02:35 AM
no idea, pH isn't something I measure.

tt101
04-01-2012, 02:36 AM
sorry guys i should have specified that i meant people in edmonton.....i wanna see the validity of my test kit:wink:

tt101
04-01-2012, 02:37 AM
no idea, pH isn't something I measure.

REALLY?!?! why not? this has got me super curious

reefwars
04-01-2012, 02:40 AM

why measure for something that fluctuates and changes with the seasons and days.

i have no idea what my ph is and i prob never will lol:P

reefgirl189
04-01-2012, 02:41 AM
7.4 ish I think.

Tank is between 8.1-8.2 usually.

Aquattro
04-01-2012, 02:42 AM

One, it's tough to measure unless you have a freshly calibrated probe. Second, as you spend time in the hobby, you realize the best measure of your tank is the inhabitants. If they're good, I'm good.

I used to test years ago, and found my pH really low. Drove me nuts for months. Then I realized the only critter stressed was me. I threw my probe out and haven't had a pH problem since.

It's not really a critical parameter. Using water and salt, your pH will be in a range acceptable to your tank. Whether it's 7.9 or 8.5 doesn't matter at all. The worst thing to do is muck around with it trying to change the number, and that can cause instability. Just leave it where it wants to be and toss the pH test kit :)

whatcaneyedo
04-01-2012, 04:01 AM
More than you ever wanted to know about pH.

A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between
Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php#10

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

High pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.htm

tt101
04-01-2012, 04:10 AM
thanks guys....honestly i have been stressing like crazy because i was worried that my tank would be uninhabitable and that i would end up with a steamy boal of fish soup because of the pH and now knowing "seasoned" experts dont even give a flying **** about pH im less stressed lol.
thanks again you guys were a lot of help and also thanks for the links.....a bit too in depth for my taste but still very nice

subman
04-01-2012, 04:49 AM
lol you need to relax and put the test kits down.. I only test calcium and alkalinity. unless something seems odd (by sight) that's it. I have no idea what my ph in my tank is but it's 6.5 in my calcium reactor rofl

tt101
04-01-2012, 05:33 AM
hahahah lol fine fine, i am now putting down the test kits. what is alkilinity? what does it do lol? and i have a calcium test but im not touching it until i actually have anything in the water and on top of that whatever is in the water it better depend on calcium loool

Mike-fish
04-01-2012, 07:00 AM
calcium will naturally buffer pH into the accepted range

Cal_stir
04-01-2012, 12:34 PM
why measure for something that fluctuates and changes with the seasons and days.

i have no idea what my ph is and i prob never will lol:P

I monitor my ph because it can give you a quick indication that something is going wrong, even though it fluctuates it still has its limits.

Cubeman
04-01-2012, 03:22 PM
When I lived in Edmonton my tap water was hard and pH 7.8. Wasn't keeping salties at the time by my Malawi cichlids loved it.

Re the test kit readings. I did an experiment once with a "colour match" pH test kit where I performed the test twice and noted the same reading. I then took two newly calibrated pH probes and tested the same water. The readings from the probes were 0.5 points lower than what I saw in the test kit (i.e. 7.9 vs 8.4). This was several years back and I don't remember the brand of the test kit. However the lesson I took away from this was that test kits have their place in indicating "swings" in the parameter that your testing (pH, NO3 etc.) but the actual result should not be considered absolute.

I am therefore a +1 with everyone who stated that if it's consistant (even if you think it's high) don't mess with it.

whatcaneyedo
04-01-2012, 04:39 PM
hahahah lol fine fine, i am now putting down the test kits. what is alkilinity? what does it do lol? and i have a calcium test but im not touching it until i actually have anything in the water and on top of that whatever is in the water it better depend on calcium loool

Don't be afraid to read and educate yourself.

Chemistry and the Aquarium: What is Alkalinity?
By Randy Holmes-Farley
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/2/chemistry

Proteus
04-01-2012, 06:18 PM
7.3 out of the tap. But 8.4 in tank. I quit checking tank since I found I was getting foul reading from halide lights. Strange as it sounds. My reading differs from tank to sump

tt101
04-02-2012, 01:32 AM
Don't be afraid to read and educate yourself.

Chemistry and the Aquarium: What is Alkalinity?
By Randy Holmes-Farley
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/2/chemistry

i know, i agree and thanks for the links. there is just so much crap online and so much false info that i would rather ask on here and get opinions from people who have had reef tanks themelves

reef-keeper
04-03-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm in north Edmonton and mine tested at 7.4

tt101
04-03-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm in north Edmonton and mine tested at 7.4

yeah i got pretty close to that too...im actually surprised that our water is that basic. i was expecting really close to neutral