PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer for 30 gal.tank.

Dorkel Marine 1
07-11-2002, 05:46 AM
Checked out the hang on skimmers some members reccomended. Pricey. Then I realized I hadn't mentioned the size of my 2 tanks. At 30 gals. I don't really want to spend $200 for a skimmer rated for a 100 to 200 gal tank. However it seems the skimmers rated for under 60 gal don't quite have the ring of quality that the larger ones have. I'm a little undecided. I could get the pak bak for 200 plus dollars and use it on my future bigger tank for that is inevitable. However when that day comes I'll probably want an in-sump skimmer. Any way heres two hang on skimmers that are around 100 dollars. If any of you have had them I would like to hear your opinions. One is called visi-jet PS it is not air driven the other one is called SS hang-on and it is air driven. The first one is 79.99 the air driven one is 100 dollars. Thanks in advance George

Aquattro
07-11-2002, 12:21 PM
The visijet is about as useless as a seaclone. Keep in mind that when a skimmer is rated at 100g, it's probably only good for something about half that. The bak pak is probably your best choice of the ones you've suggested. Buying the cheap $100 skimmer is just going to frustrate you and you'll end up buying the bakpak anyways. If you can't afford $200, go skimmerless until you can. That way you don't throw a $100 skimmer in the garbage.

Delphinus
07-11-2002, 01:05 PM
Have you looked into a Red Sea Prism? They are comparatively inexpensive and as long as they are kept "very clean" they are decently effective on smaller systems. I think they can be had for about $150 for new, and sometimes a used one can be found in the marketplace forums...

Bob I
07-11-2002, 01:17 PM
Tony, you know I have a Prizm with the new 18 blade impeller. It is still somewhat noisy. What parts would you recommend cleaning?

Delphinus
07-11-2002, 01:48 PM
What I have just learned is, "everything." Even a thin film of algae on the overflow back into the tank is apparently enough to reduce its effectiveness.

I too have a Prism. I am very remiss in keeping it clean. It pulls out a very small amount of skimmate. When it was new, it pulled out considerably more. In a conversation with Rob yesterday, I complained of this phenomemon, Rob told me that he's used Prisms on small systems, and they're OK, the trick is to keep them impeccably clean. Which would explain what I've seen: since the skimmer is "clean" when it's new.

So, I will be giving mine a bath today. Perhaps even taking it outside and spraying it with the jet nozzle on the garden hose, and test this theory out.

Bob I
07-11-2002, 02:01 PM
We could possibly start an argument here. I have read from other Prizm users that a new skimmer needs time to break in ie get dirty. I found this to be true. Mine did not work when it was new. I just cleaned mine, and it does not yet work. In other words, before they are broken in, Prizms pull out a lot of wet foam unless you keep them throttled down. As they age you can open them up more, and the foam is drier. My findings anyway. :D
BTW J&L had some clearout prices recently. I could not check that because i have forgotten the URL :(

[ 11 July 2002, 10:03: Message edited by: Bob Ipema ]

Delphinus
07-11-2002, 02:12 PM
There is no disagreement here, just semantics. What I said, I meant "after it was broken in." (All new skimmers are initially useless and need to be "broken in." That's why I didn't bother mentioning. Sorry if that was not clear.) The basic observation I have (had?), was that this skimmer worked great for about 6 months. After that it started becoming noticeably less effective. Nowadays it produces very little foam (a few ml of skimmate per week, which may as well be absolutely nothing). But the truth is there is all kinds of life lving in the skimmer. At the moment mine is more of a hang-on refugium. So it could stand for a huge bath.

Based on the fact that my skimmer WAS useful for the first six months, it is my conclusion that the skimmer is still effective, it just needs proper maintenance. (I just haven't found out for myself what that exactly means.)

The one complaint I do have; is that even after a year and a half, or however long I've had it, I still can't open the throttle beyond say 1/4 open. Too far open and it just overflows. So right now my choices are, a highly oxygenated hang-on-refugium; or a skimmer collection cup full of tank water.

The one nice thing about this skimmer is that it is theoretically impossible to overflow the collection cup; if the level gets too high it just drains into the venturi and thus back into the tank and not the floor.

Bob I
07-11-2002, 02:20 PM
I thought you were not allowed to surf while working? Anyway your findings and mine are roughly the same, except I am able to turn it a bit more open, and I get some more skimmate (not much more though)

AJ_77
07-11-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Bob Ipema:
BTW J&L had some clearout prices recently. I could not check that because i have forgotten the URL :( <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bob, check the link up on the right side of this page for J&L, under the heading "Retailers/Manufacturers."

ron101
07-11-2002, 10:07 PM
If you can't afford $200, go skimmerless until you can. That way you don't throw a $100 skimmer in the garbage.

I agree. Of the pre-fab skimmers that I have seen, the Bak Pak 2/2R is probably the least expensive 'quality built' one. It always performed well though the std version did put some bubbles in the tank when not using the bio-media. Also, it is more or less appropriately rated for 60 gal or less unlike most of the less expensive competition.

Also remember that you can always use most hang on skimmers on the side of or in the sump itself.

EmilyB
07-11-2002, 11:38 PM
One is called visi-jet PS

Should have been POS. :D Seriously, if you have seen this skimmer it is laughable, held together with a tie-wrap. The collection cup is like a shot glass.

junk (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=7&pCatId=4427)

Buying a good quality skimmer is not money wasted. IMO, it is an extremely important purchase, and spending the money on a top quality item will also mean the item is worth something should you go to sell it.

I am going to go with the CPR bak-pak, or the Aqua C Remora for my 44g.

I owned a Prism, and sold it for $50US. (The guy won't speak to me anymore....... :rolleyes: tongue.gif ;)

However, I own a Euro-reef as well, so my ideas of skimming have changed somewhat since seeing what a real skimmer can do :D tongue.gif

[ 11 July 2002, 19:54: Message edited by: EmilyB ]

Dorkel Marine 1
07-12-2002, 04:10 AM
Well thanks to everyone for your comments. I've made up my mind and will purchase a bak pak or something of equal value. Again thanks. You guys really helped. Patience is a virtue; ahhhhhhh this waiting sucks man. What a geat hobby. I'm learning patience from a fish tank. Happy reefin George.

pocilipora
07-12-2002, 04:27 AM
Goto Perkeys Pets in new west minster. Roger always has some good used skimmers.