PDA

View Full Version : skimmer issues

fishykisses
03-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Can anyone help me?
I have the coralife 65 skimmer on my 55g.
I can't figure out how to mount it so it's high enough to function properly. At the moment; in order for it to work properly, the water level has to be so low that it sounds like there's a rushing river going through my room. I thought it was working great but it turns out my water level was too high and it was overflowing. It seemed great - no micro bubbles but it wasn't really doing it's job.
I've been really getting into the habit of regular water changes and such now that my bio load is a little higher. I just can't get it regulated especially with the micro bubbles...it takes 3-4 days for the micro bubbles to go away and then i do a water change 2-3 days later and it's micro bubble city all over again.
Idea's anyone?

toytech
03-30-2012, 09:52 PM
you could make a stand for it out of egg crate to get it to the right level.

ILIKECOUGARS
03-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Cut the tube so that the pump is hanging at the right level. I don't remember, but I think it's about 3" below the water level.

chris121277
03-31-2012, 04:43 PM
One thing to keep in mind here, is that if your running it as a HOB these skimmers are VERY sensitive to water height....even a 1/8" from evaporation will make it go out of whack.

If your running a sump I would put it down there in a section that the water level stays constant. I fought with my SS 220 for years before I dumped it and got my self an SWC.

2bafish
03-31-2012, 06:40 PM
What does swc stand for?

Mandosh
03-31-2012, 06:52 PM
Salt Water Connection, it's a brand of skimmer.

fishykisses
04-01-2012, 06:50 AM
Yeah it's an HOB, I don't have a sump.

ILIKECOUGARS
04-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Manual for the coralife 65 skimmer.

http://www.marineandreef.com/v/vspfiles/pdf/super_skimmer.pdf

As mention the water level is very important, do you have a ato install on your tank?

Canuckgod420
04-01-2012, 03:38 PM
The problem is you are running a coralife

chris121277
04-01-2012, 05:14 PM
The problem is you are running a coralife

Not that I don't agree with you here....but we all have to start somewhere, I'm almost positive that most of us have tried one of these at one point or another.

One more tip with these skimmers is after you get you pump set at the right height, I'd take off the venturi once every week or 2 and clean the inside of the air intake of any deposits, as they plug quickly and cause the skimmer to over flow.....and well if your running it as a HOB then that means it will drain your tank on the floor.

asylumdown
04-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Ah, coralife skimmers. I had the SS 220 for my first skimmer, I not so lovingly called it the "overflow special" because it hung on the side of my sump and kept flooding my cabinet. It was like a schizephrenic meth addict, happy and functionig one minute, then erupting in rage or completely collapsing the next. A loud cough in the next room could set it off.

It will work for you for now, but when you inevitably replace it, you'll be amazed at how much easier your tank suddenly got to take care of.

fishykisses
04-02-2012, 08:24 PM
it seemed to work great for several months. But...everytime i clean it, it's like setting it up again for the first time. So annoying.
I'm going to upgrade soon.
Recommendations anyone?
i need it to be an HOB and it's a 55g tank

chris121277
04-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Personally my favorite brand of skimmer is SWC and they do make a HOB....how ever if at all possible I'd set up a sump...it will make you life sooooo much easier

This is theirs
http://www.saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=6

asylumdown
04-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Personally my favorite brand of skimmer is SWC and they do make a HOB....how ever if at all possible I'd set up a sump...it will make you life sooooo much easier

This is theirs
http://www.saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=6

+1 I upgraded from my coralife to a SWC and I loved it. I still have it in a box in case I ever need a backup

chris121277
04-02-2012, 10:26 PM
+1 I upgraded from my coralife to a SWC and I loved it. I still have it in a box in case I ever need a backup

What model did you get? I bought the Minni S.....I have no idea why they call it "minni" as the thing is a monster, but skims like a champ......extremely happy with it.

asylumdown
04-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Good question. This was like 2 years ago now, and I feel like there was a 2 and a 6 in the name. An SWC 260 maybe? Was that a thing?

beefORchicken
04-02-2012, 11:15 PM
used to use a CSS 65, after flooding several times sold it, considered another brand but any HOB can flood and nitrates are controlled without one (if only I had a sump). I found that if you plug the air vent on the output it gets rid of microbubbles