PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my fish?

Oilers
03-30-2012, 02:49 PM
I've had this scott fairy wrasse for a couple months now. Last night, when I was feeding the fishes, I noticed that one of his eyes is not normal. It looks bulgy and glassy. He was fine all along. Can you tell me what that is or what's causing it? Is that normal? Is it contagious? How do I cure him? Thanks.

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc123/vitbau_vitco/Canreef/?action=view&current=wrasse.jpg
Sorry for the crappy phone pic. I took it this morning when the light is out.

Aquattro
03-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Hard to tell the cause. Bacterial infection maybe. I had a queen angel that popped an eye. I kept water quality up and it eventually returned to normal.

bauder1986
03-30-2012, 03:01 PM
+1 on pop eye. There is a medication treatment for fish with pop eye but you will have to quarantee the little guy for it. Check out your LFS to see if they can get the medication for you.

BlueWorldAquatic
03-30-2012, 03:16 PM
probally scratched his eye on something

Nano
03-30-2012, 03:18 PM
yeah pop Eye or cloud one or the 2, my cichlids have gotten it before, I usually treat it with Kanaplex, as well as melafix, but I'm not sure if that for saltwater as well.

whatcaneyedo
03-30-2012, 04:14 PM
My snowflake moray has pretty poor eye sight and occasionally damages its eye in this way. I won't medicate my display tank and trying to catch the 2' eel would be too much disruption so I always just leave it to heal on its own. Within a few weeks to a month its fine again. Offer it a good diet and keep your water quality up like Aquattro suggested.

George
03-30-2012, 04:49 PM
One popping eye usually due to either 2 of these causes 1. physical trauma(eye scratching to a hard surface). 2. bacterial or viral infection. If you have a QT, it's better to put the fish in QT and treat it there. For physical trauma, you probably don't need to do anything special. Some people like to use epsom salt in QT for this treatment. Epsom salt doesn't cure anything. It just eases the pain.
For bacterial or viral infection, you will need to dose with respective medicine. Either way, antibiotic is a good idea because even with physical damage, there is a good chance of causing secondary infection.
Good luck.

Oilers
03-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys! I don't have a QT, however, I am in the process of setting up my nanocube (28G). I can use it as a QT but it might be too small. Also, if I treat him with medication, what medication do I use?

George
03-30-2012, 08:41 PM
28 G is perfect for a QT. Go to a grocery store and buy a box of epsom salt and go to your LFS and buy a box of maracyn-2 and a seachem ammonia badge. Those will come handy even you don't need them now.
If the QT is not cycled already, you need to do water change more often and watch for ammonia.
Add epsom salt at one tsb per gallon of water to the QT. Epsom salt is pretty harmless so some people add up to 4 tsb per gallon. Start low and increase it up to 4tsb per gallon over a period of one week. If you do water change, make sure to add epsom salt back. Watch the eye to see if it's getting any better. If it's not getting better in 2 weeks, use maracyn-2 according to dosage on the box. Let me know if it's still not working after 2 treatments of maracyn-2. We may need to treat it for fungus and what not.
Good luck.

fishytime
03-31-2012, 02:05 AM
if its just one eye, then its likely not pop eye..... pop eye is a condition that usually effects both eyes.....its more likely that he scratched it on something.....moving him now will just be another stress....

George
03-31-2012, 04:05 AM
I agree that the the eye condition was most likely caused by physical damage. You could leave it in the DT and see if it heals by itself. But like any physical damage, there is dangerous of secondary infection. Also the fish must be in pain now (if you belive fish can feel pain).

fishoholic
03-31-2012, 02:04 PM
My fish have scratched their eyes on the rocks before, kinda looks like pop eye but it's always just one eye that's effected so I know it was a physical injury. Very first time I saw it I caught the fish put it in QT treated it with med.'s and it died :sad: Since then (it's happened to 3 of my other fish over the years, right now my powder blue tang has an eye scratch, but it's been a week and it's almost healed now) I leave the fish in the display and do nothing, it always heals on it's own in the display (without med.'s) within two weeks.

daniella3d
04-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Pop eye can be either one eye or both.

when it's one eye it's usually a shock or an infection. when it's both it is usually a kidney problem and usually fatal.

Pop eye is a condition where the eye is poping out of the head and yes it can happen with only one eye. I treated my niger trigger pop eye with Paraguard in a quarantine tank and he's 100% back to normal today. It took about 3 weeks to treat and maybe 4 to 6 weeks to completely return to normal.

if its just one eye, then its likely not pop eye..... pop eye is a condition that usually effects both eyes.....its more likely that he scratched it on something.....moving him now will just be another stress....