PDA

View Full Version : Best Acrylic Glue?

bluetang
03-10-2004, 07:30 PM
In your opinion what is the best, when it comes to strength, acrylic glue on the market. All I need is a small tube, and were can I find it. Thanks

UnderWorldAquatics
03-10-2004, 08:17 PM
chemically reactive, two-part polymerizable cements such as Weld-On 40* are best. The cure is brought about by a chemical reaction. Polymerizing adhesives are polymers dissolved in monomers which cure when a hardener is added. Polymerizing adhesives fill better and, therefore, impose fewer demands on the accuracy of fit between the parts. They must be used where high strength and good resistance to environmental conditions are required. A bonded part should be heat conditioned (annealed) before finishing the adhesive joint. If not, it could form constrictions when it is later heat conditioned and the constrictions would impair the bond strength.

Solvent cements are better for bonding thin sheets with a blunt edge. Most small tanks, sumps and displays are fine built with capilary methon solvent cements, all large tanks and structural pieces should be bonded with 2 part polmerizable cements

Aquattro
03-10-2004, 08:44 PM
All depends on what you are gluing when trying to decide on glue.

bluetang
03-10-2004, 10:04 PM
I'd like to make myself a reactor over the next few months when I have some time. I just want to get the materials together for now then slap it all together at once. I have the acrylic tubing now. What would be the best for a reactor.

Aquattro
03-10-2004, 10:09 PM
I would recommend weld-on #4. It will give you a good working time an a very strong bond, provided your surfaces are flat. If you're gluing any PVC thru the tube, you might want to try weld-on 16. Weld-on 40 is areal pain in th ebutt to use, costs more, has a max 1 year fridge life and you need to mix in the correct (difficult to measure) ratios.
For your needs #4 will be more than enough

bluetang
03-10-2004, 11:25 PM
Where is the best place and the cheapest to buy this stuff.

Aquattro
03-10-2004, 11:28 PM
Where is the best place and the cheapest to buy this stuff.

Best place will be your local plastics store. It's only acouple of bucks, so not alot of energy should go into price shopping :razz: