PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done a group order from the US?

jtbadco
03-30-2012, 03:31 AM
Hey Gang,....we are looking into doing a SW livestock group order from LiveAquaria and having it shipped to the border for pick-up.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

Thanx
Blaine

Borderjumper
03-30-2012, 03:33 AM
Hey Gang,....we are looking into doing a SW livestock group order from LiveAquaria and having it shipped to the border for pick-up.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

Thanx
Blaine

Short straw gets to drive it across:mrgreen:

The Grizz
03-30-2012, 03:37 AM
Sounds risky, don't you need permits for this?

jtbadco
03-30-2012, 03:45 AM
You dont need permits to bring back fish as an individual, as long as the fish is going into your home aquarium and is not to be resold.

I am talking to border officials tomorrow to see if the group order thing changes the equation or not. All the fish are still going to home aquariums and are not going to be resold so...???

I was hoping that someone that lived near the border had done something like this in the past.

I am going to be the one making the drive, only 1.5 hrs

Borderjumper
03-30-2012, 03:58 AM
I dont know.. if you get stopped its going to be hard to explain that you have 20 fish.. but they arent all yours!

I was going to bring back some zoa frags from Seattle last summer when Lori and I went down to SeaMax.. I did tons of googling and seems zoas and rics dont need CITES if they are not on rock..well I chickened out.. and guess whos car got pulled off the ferry on this side for inspection..:twised: It was hard enough trying to explain why we went over just to see an aquarium show.. and to go to Walmart... I felt so dirty when they were done interrogating me.. Almost:wink:

toytech
03-30-2012, 04:14 AM
Coming back with 20 fish , you would need a list of names and what each person purchased . If you have all the info i wouldent see it being a problem. No restrictions on sw fish because you cant release them into the wild and damage the environment.Im across the border almost once a week ,and as long as you are honest and have all your paperwork its no problem.

FWC
03-30-2012, 05:05 AM
If you this ,let me know :mrgreen:

I'm sure shipping some fish out to me from you would be no big deal...

e46er
03-30-2012, 05:38 AM
I hate crossing the border to go snowboarding no way in hell you would catch me bringing anything alive across the border

smiley
03-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Hi, just my two cents worth. Yes you do need a permit as of Dec.2011. I have just gotten a small order and that is what the customs guy told me! Good luck.

Faithinc
03-30-2012, 07:58 PM
My experience with the border guards is:

1) Have lots of paper work.

Genus/species
(possible history of fish... but this may be over-doing it)
Person receiving purchased items
Cost of fish
Cost per person
Dealer
Dealer contact
Date & Time of purchase
Agreement signed by all persons "Group-buying"
Agreement to not re-sell items purchased (Again, signed)

2) Get ready to spend a few hours
3) Always, and I mean, ALWAYS be courteous. These people have the bed-side manner of a starving shark.
4) Don't fold, stick to your story and be firm with both you and your live-stock are doing crossing the border.
5) Make sure you know all of the details of everything you are bringing across the border. If you try and import something that is illegal and get caught... not only will you be saddled with the bill, but the amount of crap and litigation those border patrol officials can throw at you is staggering. Be ready and don't try and cross with anything that is remotely associated with being illegal/requiring permits.

My experience is:

My fiance is from the US, and when she moved we had to move all of her... stuff as well. This included rare plants, real fur rugs, and antique/colonial furniture. At the same time we had to renew her Visa application. Because we had all of our documentation in line, we were in & out of the border in under 2 hours. I am not an expert in this--nor am I telling you that the above will guarantee a harassment free passage. I'm just saying that if you have all of your ducks in a row... it makes getting through WAY easier.

Horror story:
Unfortunately for the guy trying to bring snow-mobile parts across (he was right infront of us) was missing a parts number for one piece of metal in his box of parts. They made him tear apart the box and assemble everything inside to guarantee all the parts matched the shipping pick-ticket. He was still trying to get ahold of the dealer to get the parts No. When we left the border. He also didn't have any tools to assemble it and was basically ready to just give up and leave the 1000$ worth of parts sitting at the border.

jtbadco
03-31-2012, 02:13 AM
Thanx,...appreciate it.

dc4
03-31-2012, 03:52 AM
Hi, just my two cents worth. Yes you do need a permit as of Dec.2011. I have just gotten a small order and that is what the customs guy told me! Good luck.

Not exactly true, there is a new policy that started in Dec. but there is a grace period right now that helps transition ppl to the new system.

This is from the AIRS site for ornamental fish:

Recommendations to CBSA/Documentation and Registration Requirements

Approved

Importer / Broker Instructions

CONDITIONS OF IMPORT

Effective December 10, 2011, importers of aquatic animals listed in Schedule III of the Health of Animals Regulations require an aquatic animal health import permit and export certification from the country of origin unless the otherwise is exempt.

Please note - The CFIA has implemented a Stream of Commerce Policy which will be in effect until December 10, 2012 to allow for a transition period after which the requirement for an import permit will be enforced. Importers are encouraged to apply for permits in advance of 2012 and ensure that exporters are made aware of the new requirements.
For more information on aquatic animal import permits, please contact your CFIA Area office:

· Atlantic: 506-851-7651

· Quebec: 514-283-8888

· Ontario: 519-837-9400

· West: 403-292-4963

Please visit www.inspection.gc.ca/aquatic, for more information on the National Aquatic Animal Health Program.