PDA

View Full Version : Starting a small tank at work!

Flash
03-29-2012, 05:26 PM
So I got my boss hooked on saltwater, he has a 135gl at home and is now planning a 300gl.... i asked to have a small 10gl freshwater tank at work and he said yes... so that tank's been up and running for over a month now...(fresh water is just not the same) so another manager says he's got a 25gl tank and stand with a T8 light tha he doesn't use... I looked at my boss and smiled, my boss smiled and said... looks like you have to set up a salt tank in your office... NOW! I don't have an office, I have a tool crib! lol it's warm, it's locked when I am not here with solid doors so no one could mess with it. (people already come to see me for the stupid tetras, guppies and frogs that I have) now I figure if I set this up.. no one will ever leave me alone... but how can I resist?! lol! water changes aren't a problem... my question is.. where am i going to find T8 bulbs... lol and will 1 T8 bulb be enough to keep zoa's and rics alive?!

setting this up is just going to hold me over until i get to set up my 6' tank at home! lol

sphelps
03-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Most pet stores sell T8 bulbs for aquariums but worst case a T12 should work with a T8 ballast and the sockets are the same. I think a little upgrade would be wise, a dual T5 kit should be pretty inexpensive which will allow for most things and better color. Can't imagine a single T8 or T12 working well at all.

Flash
03-29-2012, 06:29 PM
me either... but i don't want to really spend a whole lot.. i'll have to see the tank and I think it's a canopy top?! not sure what i am getting into! lol

noirsphynx
03-29-2012, 06:43 PM
AI carries T8