PDA

View Full Version : Time To Replace MP40 But With What?

Madreefer
03-29-2012, 10:00 AM
I've had terrible luck with 3 out of 4 Vortech MP40s. I think they have great features and I like the design but way too noisy and the reliabilty IMO sucks. I had one of the two I now have die today (a cheap easy fix though) and i'm tired of dealing with them. Has anybody switched from the Vortechs to something else and are you happy with your decision? I'm going to keep running one MP40. Kinda thinking Tunze Nano Wavebox. Has to be put on back glass as my tank is a half circle shape. Thanks

RDNanoGuy
03-29-2012, 10:57 AM
I've had terrible luck with 3 out of 4 Vortech MP40s. I think they have great features and I like the design but way too noisy and the reliabilty IMO sucks. I had one of the two I now have die today (a cheap easy fix though) and i'm tired of dealing with them. Has anybody switched from the Vortechs to something else and are you happy with your decision? I'm going to keep running one MP40. Kinda thinking Tunze Nano Wavebox. Has to be put on back glass as my tank is a half circle shape. Thanks

I run all Tunze products and they are great! If you are wanting to supplement existing power heads the wavebox is a great choice. It creates a steady back and forth motion everywhere in the tank. It really helps keep debris from settling on the bottom. Plus if you have soft corals, watching them sway is mesmerizing!

If you want to replace the vortechs though you'll need stream pumps. A pair of Nanostream 6055's or 6095's with a 7096 controller would be a good start. You'll get similar flow modes plus you could add 2 more pumps later or a wavebox to complete your circulation system.

Personally I have 4 6055's and a Nano wavebox running together in my 165 gal. They are great pumps that are silent and go forever! I only clean them when I can't see the grills anymore due to coralline buildup, maybe once a year? The wavebox needs a bit more attention, it get a dismantle and vinegar dip maybe twice a year when it starts to get noisy.

Tunze's aren't cheap but your get what your pay for with no gimmicky extras.

VFX
03-29-2012, 11:36 AM

I have the exact same experiences with MP40's.

I love the features & the flow they make but ended up replacing them with 6095's & a multi controller.

I've not missed the reef crest mode that I normally used as I found the Tunzes give me more flow than I need (I run them an 45% max.) and the customisation that the multi controller gives (via USB to a laptop) me enough control to do whatever I need it to.

Go for the Tunze's & your wont regret it.

christyf5
03-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Love Tunzes! DO IT!! :)

Casey8
03-29-2012, 03:59 PM
I always wanted to get a Vortech pump until I borrowed one from my friend and put it in my tank for one day... It was too loud for my liking as you said, now I am glad I didn't buy it in the first place. Go with Tunze, you never regret it ! Quiet and reliable. I have a pump that has been running for over 5 years, all I need to do is clean it about twice a year.

sphelps
03-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Personally I'd avoid the wavebox if you're noise sensitive, I think if you find the vortechs too noisy the same could be said about the waveboxes. A couple Streams will be better in terms of reliability and noise, they can still generate wave patterns depending how you run them.

lastlight
03-29-2012, 04:13 PM
I've owned a pair of used full-sized waveboxes and a used nano. I found the large units to be far louder while I couldn't hear my nano at all and this was in my livingroom. as with any of these pumps your mileage may vary i guess.

a wavebox can't replace your mp40 but it is a nice touch.

whatcaneyedo
03-29-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm using two 6105's on my frag tank because I wanted a quick fix for some alternating flow. I still prefer Oceans Motions units but in your instance that would mean having to do a lot of plumbing.

Casey8
03-29-2012, 04:27 PM
I've owned a pair of used full-sized waveboxes and a used nano. I found the large units to be far louder while I couldn't hear my nano at all and this was in my livingroom. as with any of these pumps your mileage may vary i guess.

a wavebox can't replace your mp40 but it is a nice touch.

I agree, I love my nano wavebox, hardly hear any noise from it and it is set up in my bedroom. It also can give my tank a good 1 inch sway back and forth, my corals love it.
I don't know how big is your tank, but I found the 6055 pump is a bit weak, I'd prefer 6095 and up, for making stronger flow across the tank.

christyf5
03-29-2012, 05:03 PM
just get a euroreef with a sedra pump and a dart pump and you won't have to worry about noise from the wavebox :razz: I sure can't hear mine!

sphelps
03-29-2012, 05:12 PM
I had two nano waveboxes in my tank and sold them both due to noise. It really just varies as some people don't find vortechs noisy which is why I suggested avoiding waveboxes in general IF that's the case.

Reefer Rob
03-29-2012, 05:18 PM
MP-40s have that crazy undertow thing going on that I missed when I switched to Tunzes, plus the Tunzes take up a lot more room in the tank.

But... Tunzes are dead quiet, and they blast current all the way to the other end of my 4 ft tank. The MP-40 would only reach about 2/3 the way.

Tunzes are set and forget, MP-40s like to be tinkered with.

Bblinks
03-29-2012, 06:29 PM
I am a Tunze guy myself. I constantly have to defend my tunzes against my friends that uses vortech. Honestly I had both and the only thing vortech has going for it is the apparence. I know there is a recent article about the flow rate about tunze but now with the new 24V jumpers and the extra wide flow gate that comes with the 6105s, it is definitely a better choice. Btw did I mention how quite they are...

Madreefer
03-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Hey thanks to all for the resposes. I am going to keep running the other MP40 until it dies. Any opinions on the Tunze Turbelle Streams? I should have mentioned that i'm not all that concerned with a wave but more the flow. This is what my wife said to me today, "I just about slept in today, I always wake up when those pump thingies turn on in your tank". The tank is about 50ft from our bedroom. Theres a good example how loud the one that died was.

Reefer Rob
03-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Your wife is practically begging you to buy some Tunzes. Make her happy and buy some new pumps for your tank.

Slick Fork
03-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Your wife is practically begging you to buy some Tunzes. Make her happy and buy some new pumps for your tank.

:lol: Yeah, for the sake of your marriage get out there and spend your money!

Casey8
03-29-2012, 06:58 PM

I should have bought the Vortech and using this trick to make my husband get me some more Tunzes :frusty:

apexifd
03-29-2012, 07:17 PM
I am a Tunze guy myself. I constantly have to defend my tunzes against my friends that uses vortech. Honestly I had both and the only thing vortech has going for it is the apparence. I know there is a recent article about the flow rate about tunze but now with the new 24V jumpers and the extra wide flow gate that comes with the 6105s, it is definitely a better choice. Btw did I mention how quite they are...

noise?? just turn the tv on louder.

lastlight
03-29-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm fussy when it comes to noise. I'd never tolerate the noises that vortechs make if the dry sides weren't on a pane tucked in a wall. Even then you can hear them lol. Waveboxes might be more luck of the draw but you nearly can't go wrong with the streams especially with the new mounts which feature rubber dampeners.

Bblinks
03-29-2012, 07:53 PM
noise?? just turn the tv on louder.

you don't have a tv in that room.....:twised: