PDA

View Full Version : Enigma's 10 Gallon Reef

Enigma
03-28-2012, 04:30 PM
This tank was started on March 17th, 2012.

I've had a couple of freshwater aquariums in the past, and they have always been epic failures due to severe algae blooms and crazy nitrogen.

This tank will eventually be stocked with a pair of clowns. My little guy (who is three) has been asking for a "Nemo." As the False Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) has a reputation for being a relatively easy fish, I'm going to humour him.

Present Equipment:

Tank:
10 Gallon Leader Tank
Glass Top

Filtration & Circulation:
Fluval C2 Power Filter
Koralia Nano 425gph

Lighting & Heat:
2 x Coralife 11 Inch Mini AquaLight T5 HO (6W 10000K & 6W Actinic in each)
Marineland Visi-Therm Deluxe Submersible 50 Watt Heater

Substrate & Rock:
5 lbs Dry Rock
15 lbs Aragonite Sand

Present Livestock:

Filtration:
8.75 lbs Live Rock

Clean Up Crew
2 small Mexican Turbo Snails
5 Nassarius (Vibex?) Snails

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/IMG-20120328-00098.jpg?t=1332945297

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/IMG-20120327-00093-1.jpg?t=1332946093

Enigma
04-02-2012, 02:15 PM
I've added four more Nass snails, and three small Green Chromis. The Chromis aren't permanent residents in this tank. They're to test my fish keeping skills. The survivor/s (I'm fully aware they might kill each other) will be moved or passed on to someone else when I'm ready for the Clown pair this tank will get.

I've tried to take some decent photos with my DSLR (versus my BlackBerry).

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/880f3422.jpg

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/6af92079.jpg

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/9c8e8170.jpg

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/107972f9.jpg

The Chromis are very hard to get photos of. This is the only photo I was able to get that has all three in it. It is pretty crummy.

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/45711aed.jpg

Two of the Chromis appear to have paired off. It is very curious. One will be facing one direction in the tank, and the other two will be a ways away from it facing the other direction. The two facing the same direction are usually very close to each other. It is the smallest that seems to be the odd fish out. I'm guessing this means that is the one most likely to be killed (if any of them are). I'm thinking that when my 12 gallon is cycled I might move that one into it.

Enigma
04-11-2012, 03:43 PM
I don't have any more new and decent photos of this tank, but there have been some changes.

I purchased a Kenya Tree frag last week. It wasn't attached to anything, so when I brought it home I dabbed a bit of frag glue on it, stuck two toothpicks in it (couldn't get one all the way through) and used a rubber-band to attach it to some dead rock. Then I dipped it. I don't remember off the top of my head what kind of dip I used . . . but it was mixed with tank water (not a FW dip).

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/IMG-20120410-00104.jpg?t=1334102366

It seems quite happy. :) I'm thinking the toothpicks are not going to be possible to extract, so I think I can just cut them off and leave a bit inside the coral.

I did discover what I think is a pyramid snail in the tank. :( I had it with my forceps, and then I dropped it and couldn't find it. I had really hoped to have a small clam in here, but it looks like that isn't going to work.

I have wound up with two crab hitchhikers. One is a pom pom crab, and the other a blue-legged hermit crab. They are both in a "breeder tank" which is hanging off of this one. I do not want anything with an exoskeleton in this tank! If the pom pom lives (it does not look happy) I'll offer it up to the forum members here for free. It does have one anemone. I have read that their anemones are potent enough to kill fish and snails.

This tank is getting a custom refugium for live rock and chaeto that will sit behind the tank, which will be built by Red Coral here in Calgary. I'm very excited. :)

Enigma
04-15-2012, 04:25 PM
I've made some major changes to this one, and after a trip to Red Coral yesterday, I feel as if I'm finally on track!

Crummy BlackBerry photos:

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/IMG-20120415-00107.jpg

Two zoa and one blasto frag:

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/IMG-20120415-00108.jpg

The chromis:

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/IMG-20120415-00111.jpg

The sump:

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/IMG-20120415-00110.jpg

All of the live rock has been moved to the regugium in the sump. A large piece of dry rock has been added to the display tank. The lighting fixture has been changed on the display tank (20" Coralife with one actinic and one 10,000K).

The only issue is that I can't fill the tank beyond where it is. The overflow needs quite a bit of wiggle room to prime itself. In the event I fill the tank higher it overflows when the overflow box kicks in again. At least the sump gives me another 15 gallons of water, so the effect of a little less water in the display tank is more visual than anything else.

All specs are good, with the exception of nitrate which is still about 0.5.

Hubby is going to build me a stand so I can rig the sump up underneath the tank.

Aquaria
04-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Pom poms are scared of there own shadows lol u won't have to worry bout ur fish lol iv had one for a year maybe longer and I never see him except after feedings sometimes and at night

Enigma
04-15-2012, 11:57 PM
:lol: I've read too many horror stories about Pom Poms going commando and becoming aggressive killers.

The Pom Pom is now in my sump: along with the hermit. It seems like a good place for hitchhikers.

aqure591
04-16-2012, 12:15 AM
You started your tank on March 17th and have already added so much live stock... Just curious to know how your water parameters are and if your tank has been fully cycled yet or not ??

Enigma
04-16-2012, 12:38 AM
You started your tank on March 17th and have already added so much live stock... Just curious to know how your water parameters are and if your tank has been fully cycled yet or not ??

(all tests but nitrate test are API tests . . . My nitrate has never been high enough in this tank to even register on the API test)

pH: 8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0.5 (ELOS test . . . Not totally colorless but not as pink as 1)
Phosphate: 0
dkh: 11
Calcium: 460
Magnesium: didn't test this morning
Temp: 77
SG: 1.025

I started with fully cured live rock rubble. I did go through a very minor cycle, which made me very nervous after I added some livestock. None of the levels of anything became high enough to be stressful for the livestock, and I did a 10% water change a day for a week during the mini cycle. I did have a very minor diatom bloom when the cycle completed.

Considering the very bad advice I recieved when I started this (found the forums after this was all on the go) things have gone much better than they should have. I've been very fortunate. I think I've been able to remedy most of the issues.

I test ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates every day.

I do have a second tank that I'm working on. I'm taking everything I've learned so far and am doing that one "the right way." I'm doing a fishless cycle with no live rock with that one. It is close to being cycled. :)

aqure591
04-16-2012, 12:44 AM
That's great to hear!. One thing that I did to cycle my tank when I started was to use raw shrimp/cocktail shrimp method. Through my research I found this way more humane then dumping chromis or other hardy fish into the tank to help cycle the tank.

(all tests but nitrate test are API tests . . . My nitrate has never been high enough in this tank to even register on the API test)

pH: 8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0.5 (ELOS test . . . Not totally colorless but not as pink as 1)
Phosphate: 0
dkh: 11
Calcium: 460
Magnesium: didn't test this morning
Temp: 77
SG: 1.025

I started with fully cured live rock rubble. I did go through a very minor cycle, which made me very nervous after I added some livestock. None of the levels of anything became high enough to be stressful for the livestock, and I did a 10% water change a day for a week during the mini cycle. I did have a very minor diatom bloom when the cycle completed.

Considering the very bad advice I recieved when I started this (found the forums after this was all on the go) things have gone much better than they should have. I've been very fortunate. I think I've been able to remedy most of the issues.

I test ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates every day.

I do have a second tank that I'm working on. I'm taking everything I've learned so far and am doing that one "the right way." I'm doing a fishless cycle with no live rock with that one. It is close to being cycled. :)

Enigma
04-16-2012, 01:10 AM
That's great to hear!. One thing that I did to cycle my tank when I started was to use raw shrimp/cocktail shrimp method. Through my research I found this way more humane then dumping chromis or other hardy fish into the tank to help cycle the tank.

I'm now using frozen brine shrimp in my other one. It is processing a cube a day.

I was furious when I learned how mislead I had been at the LFS. I worked very diligently to gain control of the situation. I just checked my notes. The highest ammonia became was 0.25, and nitrites never got above 0.25. Nitrates topped out at 2. We all got through it okay. :)

My plans now are to add a couple of cerith snails, and then add a little frag every two weeks. No more fish will be added until the chromis reduce their numbers.

aqure591
04-16-2012, 01:18 AM
Ya Number 1 rule do not trust anything that comes of the mouths of your LFS staff members lol. I'm not saying all LFS have staff that don't know what they are talking about, but majority of them are clueless.

The best advice as a novice in this hobby is to do your own research and stick to 1 forum (can reef) for advice from members that have been in the hobby for a long time, or members who have been through the same situation before to learn from them. Good Luck with your tanks!

Enigma
04-16-2012, 01:31 AM
I'm slowly figuring out who I can trust. I listen closely to what other customers are being told, in addition to what I'm being told. Some of what i hear is disturbing. I think I'll mostly stick to Red Coral in the future, but in the event I venture elsewhere I'll be very cautious.

I'm also on one other forum, but that one is nano specific. Most of the users here seem to have much larger systems.

aqure591
04-16-2012, 01:37 AM
Yeah!, Red Coral does know their stuff. That's a reason they are a sponsered member on here.

Aquaria
04-17-2012, 05:48 AM
:lol: I've read too many horror stories about Pom Poms going commando and becoming aggressive killers.

The Pom Pom is now in my sump: along with the hermit. It seems like a good place for hitchhikers.

I'm sad to hear he's in the sump there peaceful crabs. People have fish die and discover there Pom pom eating it and automaticly think Omg commando crab when in reality he was just after a fresh meal. Why not give him to someone who would like one instead of a slow sump death

Aquaria
04-17-2012, 07:36 AM
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/IMG-20120415-00110.jpg

All of the live rock has been moved to the regugium in the sump. A large piece of dry rock has been added to the display tank. The lighting fixture has been changed on the display tank (20" Coralife with one actinic and one 10,000K).

The only issue is that I can't fill the tank beyond where it is. The overflow needs quite a bit of wiggle room to prime itself. In the event I fill the tank higher it overflows when the overflow box kicks in again. At least the sump gives me another 15 gallons of water, so the effect of a little less water in the display tank is more visual than anything else.

All specs are good, with the exception of nitrate which is still about 0.5.

Hubby is going to build me a stand so I can rig the sump up underneath the tank. Sry I didn't notice u had a refugium :) anything that goings in my sump minus sponges dies not much food makes it to my sump maybe you will actually get to see yours I can count on one hand the amount of times iv seen him in a couple months

Enigma
04-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Sry I didn't notice u had a refugium :) anything that goings in my sump minus sponges dies not much food makes it to my sump maybe you will actually get to see yours I can count on one hand the amount of times iv seen him in a couple months

No worries.

The only reason I still have the Pom Pom is because he was a very craftily hidden hitchhiker, and as a result of his stealthiness he was completely overlooked and not properly acclimated. He was inside the tightly balled up Kenya Tree (which I didn't acclimate, but did dip).

I know that they're quite popular and really appreciated by many. If he survives, I'll pass him on to someone else. I wouldn't want to pass him on just to have him quickly die as a result of my unfortunate, and completely accidental, mistreatment of him.

Aquaria
04-17-2012, 09:01 PM
No worries.

The only reason I still have the Pom Pom is because he was a very craftily hidden hitchhiker, and as a result of his stealthiness he was completely overlooked and not properly acclimated. He was inside the tightly balled up Kenya Tree (which I didn't acclimate, but did dip).

I know that they're quite popular and really appreciated by many. If he survives, I'll pass him on to someone else. I wouldn't want to pass him on just to have him quickly die as a result of my unfortunate, and completely accidental, mistreatment of him.

If he lives u should just keep him there very entertaining and since he's in the refuge what harm can he really do? There not aggresive and he won't go after stuff that wasn't dead or dieing already

Duker
04-17-2012, 09:12 PM
to cycle my tank when I started was to use raw shrimp/cocktail shrimp method. this way more humane then dumping chromis or other hardy fish into the tank to help cycle the tank.

YES YES YES, why don't more people do it this way.....And it works so much better!!!!
Yay aqure591:biggrin:

Enigma
04-18-2012, 07:28 PM
One Mexican Turbo and four Nass have been moved out of this tank and into my other tank.

EDIT: Oh, and I've switched out my Kent carbon with Seachem carbon and did a 20% water change. And, I fed my blasto some Acan Plus. Holy smokes did they greedily eat it up!

If he lives u should just keep him there very entertaining and since he's in the refuge what harm can he really do? There not aggresive and he won't go after stuff that wasn't dead or dieing already

It isn't so much about any harm he may do it this point . . . it's more about the fact that I don't particularly enjoy him: and I know there are many who would.

Snaz
06-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Your rocks have great shape. Any updates?

Enigma
06-08-2012, 04:58 PM
:lol:

I'm so terrible at keeping these things updated!

I had just had my hands in the tank when this photo was taken, so some things don't look very happy (though they perked up quickly afterwards).

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/IMG-20120527-00160.jpg

This tank now has a Neptune Apex, an SWC 120 cone skimmer, an Arctica 1/5hp chiller, more rock in the sump, two fluid reactors, and a few more things that I'm sure I've missed. The livestock from my NC12 has been moved into it (NC12 was overheating).

It will be moved into a 40 breeder soon. The new display has been drilled by Kevin at Red Coral here in town, and I think I've got everything needed for the move: except more rock and more sand, and new t5 bulbs.

I'm working on setting up a 33 gallon hospital tank for the fish this moment (every single one of them has a health issue that needs addressed). The corals and inverts will go straight to the new display, while the fish will hang out in the hospital tank for 6, or so, weeks.

Enigma
06-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Well, here is the last (crummy) FTS of this tank:

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/IMG-20120610-00003.jpg

I had to move all of the softies out of this tank and into the NC12 to make room for the LPS I picked up from Reefwars (the Kenya tree has since been moved, too).

The two torch corals I got from him are doing very well. One of the three frogspawn (a purple one) quickly lost a head, but otherwise they are all doing very well. The frogspawn that lost the head to brown jelly is in the NC12 right now, so it doesn't make any other LPS sick. Its remaining head looks very good and shows no signs of disease. The hammer and the duncan look great. This photo was taken around twelve hours after the LPS were introduced.

Our new display tank is drilled, PAINTED, and I'll be doing the plumbing this weekend. More dry rock has been picked up, more sand, new T5 bulbs, and I picked up two MP10s last night. This display tank will be retired within a couple of weeks.

Enigma
06-26-2012, 02:46 AM
This tank is officially shut down. During the process of cleaning and moving the sump for our new 40B display tank I found the Pom Pom Crab.

He is now in a new home (as of this evening) with another forum member, and he even has a Pom Pom buddy in his new home. :)